praying for someone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2013, 04:32 PM
praying for someone
When I hear someone declare that she will pray for someone, I've come to realize that it means this person will do nothing to help with the situation. Yet there seems to be self satisfaction by praying for someone. Just my take on this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: praying for someone
Praying is a waste of time, actions speak louder than words I think!
30-11-2013, 04:47 PM
It pisses me off when people say this. Are they implying that all the people who have died too young or been in horrible life situations were there just because someone didn't pray for them? Or is it because god doesn't care? Dodgy

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
30-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Moved thread from Personal issues and support because it seemed a better fit here.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

30-11-2013, 05:40 PM
[Image: prayer-does-nothing.jpg]

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
30-11-2013, 06:01 PM
I always wondered how the mechanics of prayer actually work. I heard someone the other day talk about how they were waiting to hear if their job interview was successful and they were asking for prayers so she would get the job... And she had the job and thanked god for answering the prayers.

So let's assume that's true... Did god brainwash the interviewer to give her the job? Did god amend the notes taken at the interview? Was the man about to deny her a position but god called him on the phone? What about the other applicants that also prayed?

People don't sit back and consider these basic things when they thank gawd. It annoys me. Tell me how he helped exactly.. What did he actually do!!
[+] 4 users Like TheStraightener's post
30-11-2013, 06:19 PM
When somebody is going through hard times and I can't physically be there to help them, I always tell them they are in my thoughts or that I'm thinking healing/helpful thoughts toward them. Because....well, that's all I can do from where I am.

If I'm in the same room with somebody and I said the same thing, I would expect them to be as offended as I am when someone says they will pray for me instead of *doing* something to help.

Did that make sense?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
30-11-2013, 06:19 PM
(30-11-2013 04:32 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  When I hear someone declare that she will pray for someone, I've come to realize that it means this person will do nothing to help with the situation. Yet there seems to be self satisfaction by praying for someone. Just my take on this.

The reality is that without the superstition if they were honest they are wishing you well. It is what most of us do when we cant offer anything physical but merely moral support. The problem is that they DO think some magical super hero in the sky will affect our existence.

I don't mind that people say "damn that sucks, wish I could help". We all hear things we empathize with but cant always help with.

I never get pissed when someone says 'I'll pray for you" to someone else in earshot. I do mind if you say it to me after I tell you that is not my thing. If you claim prayer works even if you don't tell me, then just do it, there is no need to tell me verbally other than to be self centered.

To my theist friends, in my time of strife, just do it without telling me. If you want to verbalize concern to me just leave it at "I wish you well", or "Man that sucks, which I could help", or "how can I help".

To our theist friends, DONT TELL US YOU'LL PRAY FOR US, we know you already do. To us it is like offering a Jewish or Muslim friend pork.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2013, 06:37 PM
(30-11-2013 06:19 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  To our theist friends, DONT TELL US YOU'LL PRAY FOR US, we know you already do. To us it is like offering a Jewish or Muslim friend pork.

Assuming they aren't saying anything else offensive at the time, I tend to say something to the effect of "thanks for your concern." or some such. Of course, they do frequently say other offensive things too, so there's that.
01-12-2013, 05:37 AM
(30-11-2013 06:19 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 04:32 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  When I hear someone declare that she will pray for someone, I've come to realize that it means this person will do nothing to help with the situation. Yet there seems to be self satisfaction by praying for someone. Just my take on this.

The reality is that without the superstition if they were honest they are wishing you well. It is what most of us do when we cant offer anything physical but merely moral support. The problem is that they DO think some magical super hero in the sky will affect our existence.

I don't mind that people say "damn that sucks, wish I could help". We all hear things we empathize with but cant always help with.

I never get pissed when someone says 'I'll pray for you" to someone else in earshot. I do mind if you say it to me after I tell you that is not my thing. If you claim prayer works even if you don't tell me, then just do it, there is no need to tell me verbally other than to be self centered.

To my theist friends, in my time of strife, just do it without telling me. If you want to verbalize concern to me just leave it at "I wish you well", or "Man that sucks, which I could help", or "how can I help".

To our theist friends, DONT TELL US YOU'LL PRAY FOR US, we know you already do. To us it is like offering a Jewish or Muslim friend pork.

I tried not to get pissed. I just tried to look at their intent of "I'll pray for you." Sometimes it's merely an expression of helplessness. They can't help - so they do the only damn thing they can.

Half the time - there IS something you can do. Even from across the country. If someone died, send a damn cleaning service to the bereaved's house to clean before tons of guests come and again after everyone leaves. Send funny movies. Anything.

So I honestly did try not to get pissed. After awhile, the anger you feel in the phases of grief can cause you to target the prayer in a way to vent that anger. When I lost someone, i was so damn angry that when someone told me, "I'll pray for you." I nearly choked her. If a deity was responsible for making it better, it also meant they were responsible for letting/making it happen.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson