praying for someone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 05:54 AM
RE: praying for someone
Let them pray as long as its not at the expense of withholding medical treatment.
I'm sure most theists mean it the same as "I hope you get better" or "I wish you luck".

Just filter out the "pray" as a cultural superstition, its silly to take offence to it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
01-12-2013, 05:55 AM
(30-11-2013 06:37 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 06:19 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  To our theist friends, DONT TELL US YOU'LL PRAY FOR US, we know you already do. To us it is like offering a Jewish or Muslim friend pork.

Assuming they aren't saying anything else offensive at the time, I tend to say something to the effect of "thanks for your concern." or some such. Of course, they do frequently say other offensive things too, so there's that.

The first time when they first meet me yes, but after I ask them I prefer they not do it then it becomes rude and selfish.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 06:24 AM
(30-11-2013 04:32 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  When I hear someone declare that she will pray for someone, I've come to realize that it means this person will do nothing to help with the situation. Yet there seems to be self satisfaction by praying for someone. Just my take on this.

If that's the case, then any theist that tells me "I'll pray for you.", I'll just say "Fine, I'll masturbate for you." Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes NoSuicide4Me's post
01-12-2013, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 01:52 PM by IndianAtheist.)
Prayers don't feed the starving.
Praying doensn't help you in your grades.
Praying doesn't cure your terminally ill relatives.
Praying doesn't help you in getting a job.
Praying doesn't make you healthy.
Prayers don't do Diddly JACK SH!T!

All praying does is that it makes you feel less guilty for NOT doing anything.
01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
(30-11-2013 06:01 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I always wondered how the mechanics of prayer actually work.
So let's assume that's true... Did god brainwash the interviewer to give her the job? Did god amend the notes taken at the interview? Was the man about to deny her a position but god called him on the phone? What about the other applicants that also prayed?
People don't sit back and consider these basic things when they thank gawd. It annoys me. Tell me how he helped exactly.. What did he actually do!!

I guess if you're talking about prayer where you're asking God for things in a situation I don't think prayer is just a passive way to get out of doing something. If someone has lost their job I'll quite happily say that I'm praying for them but that doesn't release me from wanting to help them materially- prayer is another way of supporting someone by actively petitioning for them to God. It's when prayer goes from a request to God to a expectation from God that we have a problem.

I just handed in an essay for uni which was incredibly stressful to write and I did pray about it. But I prayed for peace, that my mind would be clear, etc. The writing and the content all had to come from me and (unfortunately) God wasn't going to write it for me or magically convince the lecturer to give me 100%. And that's where people trip up I think, where you just pray and think 'I've done my part' and sit back for the problem to magically disappear. In the same way, as one of the musicians at Church, we always pray before the service starts that our contribution will bless others. That doesn't get us out of practising or putting effort into it.
01-12-2013, 01:31 PM
[img][Image: 1340500781556_8986002.png][/img]

[+] 1 user Likes smoothcriminal's post
01-12-2013, 02:13 PM
(01-12-2013 01:00 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 06:01 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I always wondered how the mechanics of prayer actually work.
So let's assume that's true... Did god brainwash the interviewer to give her the job? Did god amend the notes taken at the interview? Was the man about to deny her a position but god called him on the phone? What about the other applicants that also prayed?
People don't sit back and consider these basic things when they thank gawd. It annoys me. Tell me how he helped exactly.. What did he actually do!!

I guess if you're talking about prayer where you're asking God for things in a situation I don't think prayer is just a passive way to get out of doing something. If someone has lost their job I'll quite happily say that I'm praying for them but that doesn't release me from wanting to help them materially- prayer is another way of supporting someone by actively petitioning for them to God. It's when prayer goes from a request to God to a expectation from God that we have a problem.

I just handed in an essay for uni which was incredibly stressful to write and I did pray about it. But I prayed for peace, that my mind would be clear, etc. The writing and the content all had to come from me and (unfortunately) God wasn't going to write it for me or magically convince the lecturer to give me 100%. And that's where people trip up I think, where you just pray and think 'I've done my part' and sit back for the problem to magically disappear. In the same way, as one of the musicians at Church, we always pray before the service starts that our contribution will bless others. That doesn't get us out of practising or putting effort into it.

You have not presented a case for prayer doing anything at all other than what can be done with breathing exercises.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-12-2013, 02:33 PM
As long as it's done with helpful intentions, then I'm thankful for the well wishes. This kind of hyper sensitivity to anything invoking God is one of the reasons atheists get labeled as angry.
01-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I wasn't so much presenting a case for the results of prayer as I was the reason for it. Regular prayer is about communicating with God, seeking guidance and getting strength for what you have to do; but I don't understand how prayer for a situation is seen as taking away from doing something about it. For me the two are linked. I guess i'm curious about where that perception has come from.
01-12-2013, 04:42 PM
(01-12-2013 02:33 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  As long as it's done with helpful intentions, then I'm thankful for the well wishes. This kind of hyper sensitivity to anything invoking God is one of the reasons atheists get labeled as angry.
Well to be honest its just their fault for judging the whole world around them based on a book of fairy tales.