priceless!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2014, 01:12 PM
priceless!
Over on another forum I spent a couple hours going toe to toe with a Christian about whether faith is irrational and then he starts another thread about the difficulty of talking with atheists in which he claims that logic is overrated, wisdom is superior.

Priceless.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like true scotsman's post
14-09-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: priceless!
Oh, I've had similar. I told an orthodox preacher about why his arguments contained logical fallacies, and he said: "but that's your logic, and logic can be whatever anybody wants" I facepalmed at that.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
17-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I've been told that trying to figure things out is bad; basically worshipping ignorance. Face. Palm.
22-09-2014, 06:31 AM
(13-09-2014 01:12 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Over on another forum I spent a couple hours going toe to toe with a Christian about whether faith is irrational and then he starts another thread about the difficulty of talking with atheists in which he claims that logic is overrated, wisdom is superior.

Priceless.

For better or for worse, there's actually Biblical justification for that argument. 1 Corinthians 1:25 says that God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom. Of course, it's all presuppositional bullshit, but it really makes the apologists feel better.

They can literally turn a lost argument into a victory. "Yeah, you just logically backed me into a corner, and that's know I know you're wrong."
22-09-2014, 09:13 AM
(22-09-2014 06:31 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(13-09-2014 01:12 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Over on another forum I spent a couple hours going toe to toe with a Christian about whether faith is irrational and then he starts another thread about the difficulty of talking with atheists in which he claims that logic is overrated, wisdom is superior.

Priceless.

For better or for worse, there's actually Biblical justification for that argument. 1 Corinthians 1:25 says that God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom. Of course, it's all presuppositional bullshit, but it really makes the apologists feel better.

They can literally turn a lost argument into a victory. "Yeah, you just logically backed me into a corner, and that's know I know you're wrong."

And they're sllowed to do this because their position is true.

Truth seeker.
22-09-2014, 09:45 AM
(22-09-2014 09:13 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 06:31 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  For better or for worse, there's actually Biblical justification for that argument. 1 Corinthians 1:25 says that God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom. Of course, it's all presuppositional bullshit, but it really makes the apologists feel better.

And there is a perfect example of presuppositional bullshit. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2014, 09:48 AM
(22-09-2014 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 09:13 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  And they're sllowed to do this because their position is true.

And there is a perfect example of presuppositional bullshit. Thumbsup

So you're saying that your own position is absurd? Gasp

Truth seeker.
22-09-2014, 09:53 AM
(22-09-2014 09:48 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  And there is a perfect example of presuppositional bullshit. Thumbsup

Non sequitur.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2014, 01:36 PM
(22-09-2014 09:48 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  And there is a perfect example of presuppositional bullshit. Thumbsup

Wait. Did Diddo seriously just bust out the "I know you are, but what am I?" defense.

Christian apologetics is soaring to new heights. Diddo, Say Ten would be proud of you.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
25-09-2014, 08:34 AM
(22-09-2014 09:13 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-09-2014 06:31 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  For better or for worse, there's actually Biblical justification for that argument. 1 Corinthians 1:25 says that God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom. Of course, it's all presuppositional bullshit, but it really makes the apologists feel better.

Someone should force feed you a bag of dicks.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post