problem of evil and suffering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 08:40 AM
RE: problem of evil and suffering
(14-07-2015 03:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 12:59 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Atheists NEVER say "god is unjust" ----

we say he's a figment of your imagination and nothing more...

Quit making shit up....

Well to be very technical, we say God is unjust in the same way that we say that Lord Voldemort is a serial killer. They don't exist, but they can still be describe according to their fictional traits. After all, that’s how we determine who’s the bad guy and the good guy in a movie.

Well said, both of you!

[Image: LORD-VADER-IS.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-07-2015, 10:13 AM
(14-07-2015 12:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The Christian notion that we cause our own suffering is, without a doubt, the sickest aspect of this insane, abusive religion. The whole Christian scenario, the whole fucked up story doesn't work without an enormous quantity of stifling guilt. And, mind you, this is a relationship with an unproven, imaginary deity. I mean, what the fuckin hell?!

It's a masochistic /sadistic relationship with a storybook written deity and anyone who buys into this shit is mentally fucked up.

Are you saying that for many of not most things, people do not cause their own suffering? I can get hangovers without drinking? I can alienate my spouse and kids by not divorcing my spouse? I can backaches from sitting with correct posture, etc.?

Like, what are you saying here?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2015, 10:14 AM
All,

I think that rather than discuss NTS again, let's say this. Certain people are Christians but need to be assessed in light of the fact that they aren't taking their Christianity seriously. Those persons are called, rightly by TTA members, hypocrites.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2015, 11:43 AM
There it is, folks, Christianity in a nutshell:

"Because there are things in this world that have predictable (bad) outcomes, which may be avoided with particular (good) behavior, we will now extrapolate there are other, invisible things that are not of this world that will have (bad) outcomes not of this world, which may be avoided with particular (good) behavior... all after you die, of course. And even though all the things in this world are predictable, testable, and understandable, and the things on my Holy Napkin are unpredictable, untestable, and incomprehensible to an outsider closely examining them, you should ignore all that and Just Believe It. Because... scary, right?"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Normally I'd put this in the "Laughs at Religion" thread, but it applies here. It's this "ignore your own ability to reason, learn to turn it off with the power of faith" horse-hockey that is how you get people to think that invisible creatures can control their minds, to think that the earth is 6000 years old and that human nipples don't mean we're mammalian animals like every other mammalian animal on earth, and to abuse and/or murder one another because GODWILLSIT!

[Image: faithroar_zpsmgzjndio.jpg]

You see, you gotta roar it, because otherwise it's so invisible that the Holy Napkin alone might not persuade them, y'all.
Or worse, you might start thinking and stop giving us 10% of your income.

[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Yes. Christians are right. The problem of evil and suffering is because of US--not God or anyone or anything else. The responsibility is OURS and OURS alone.

It's also the same reason why there are psychopaths and sociopaths. Humans are given free will. We can choose who we want to be.
15-07-2015, 12:59 PM
(15-07-2015 11:56 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  [Image: faithroar_zpsmgzjndio.jpg]

I went to rawforbeauty just to see if I could glean anything from additional context, and I can honestly say I don't know if that picture was made by a theist or by someone mocking them.
15-07-2015, 01:09 PM
RobbyPants - Poe's Law in action. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-07-2015, 01:18 PM
(15-07-2015 11:56 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Normally I'd put this in the "Laughs at Religion" thread, but it applies here. It's this "ignore your own ability to reason, learn to turn it off with the power of faith" horse-hockey that is how you get people to think that invisible creatures can control their minds, to think that the earth is 6000 years old and that human nipples don't mean we're mammalian animals like every other mammalian animal on earth, and to abuse and/or murder one another because GODWILLSIT!

[Image: faithroar_zpsmgzjndio.jpg]

You see, you gotta roar it, because otherwise it's so invisible that the Holy Napkin alone might not persuade them, y'all.
Or worse, you might start thinking and stop giving us 10% of your income.

Hey cool lion pic ! Thumbsup That's me!
15-07-2015, 01:35 PM
(15-07-2015 12:10 PM)Melanie Wrote:  Yes. Christians are right. The problem of evil and suffering is because of US--not God or anyone or anything else. The responsibility is OURS and OURS alone.

Since there's no reason to believe there is any god, or anything else, the problem is ours to deal with where we can but it isn't all of our making. Things like natural disasters are out of our control but preparation and cleanup are our responsibility.

Quote:It's also the same reason why there are psychopaths and sociopaths. Humans are given free will. We can choose who we want to be.

Do you honestly believe that people like that actually choose to be that way? Do you see any part played by chemical imbalances in the brain that are out of their control? Or severe physical and/or psychological abuse contributing to it?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post