processing anger..?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2016, 08:39 PM
processing anger..?
So as a recovering catholic and agnostic atheist freethinker and secular humanist....how do we deal with and process all the anger that we feel from having been duped and brainwashed by religion...dogma...and by superstition? Btw.. I see a pretty good therapist every other week...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2016, 08:42 PM
RE: processing anger..?
In general, I process anger by letting go of it -- especially over something so uncontrollable as the past.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-09-2016, 08:43 PM
I have to own it and feel it and accept it before I let it go.....the anger.....
20-09-2016, 10:41 PM
I understand your anger. You'll need to find a way to sublimate it out of your life. Maybe it will just be discussing it with yourself in your head, or here, or with an analyst. Maybe it will be taking a sledge hammer to some concrete. Pick your solution, whatever works for you.
20-09-2016, 11:46 PM
(20-09-2016 08:43 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  I have to own it and feel it and accept it before I let it go.....the anger.....

You are owning it, right here. As for accepting it, I'm not sure what you mean.
21-09-2016, 10:26 AM
It will probably take you years to turn that anger into acceptance by acknowledging the damage that it did to you and by acknowledging that you cannot change what happened in the past.
Here some suggestions to vent for you, because venting has helped me the best:
* Tell your deconversion story (probably personal issues would be a good place to do that)
* Talk about events in your life where religion had a role and analyse those
* Shout angrily and wield your fist towards the sky Wink

Some people start debating christians - probably to proof to themselves that they are over it or can own them or whatever. I personally don't think that is a good idea to deal with your anger because it just causes additional anger.

Also helpful is just to watch some good atheist shows. I enjoyed a lot of the atheist experience on youtube. Look it up. The TTA podcast is also a great thing for ex christians.

Eventually you will probably just laugh about the ridiulousness that is religion. Once you can laugh about it, you are over it. Just that it takes a long time to get over it. Give it time.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
21-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Losing god is much like losing a loved one. There is a hole in one's life. The occupant has gone poof. Grief sets in.

So you can expect to go through denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. It's normal. You may not feel normal, or even think you are going nuts, but in fact it is totally normal. And not something you can necessarily control. You'll work through it and come out stronger on the other side.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man