proselytizing and work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 03:02 AM
proselytizing and work
I am new to this forum, but I have been listening to the podcast for about a year. I have a question I hope someone here can help me with.

First some background to the question: For a few years I have been getting in my mail a small magazine called The Guidepost. It is a religious bias magazine that you have to order and pay a monthly subscription to receive. This is their website... The Guidepost. The problem is I never ordered this magazine, due to the fact that my family and I are atheists. I emailed the company some time in February (still have the email conversation) to please stop sending me their magazine. To their credit they did, for a while. I assume who ever signed me up did it again; so now I have started receiving these again. While talking to someone at work about the issue I found out that they also receive these magazines. So I asked more people and apparently everyone at work gets these. A supervisor at work informed me that the company pays for these. The question is, Is this legal? Can a National company who takes some government contracts legally use my personal information to mail me proselytizing magazines such as The Guidepost? I don't want to sue, but I would like to know if I am in the right to ask HR to have them stop mailing them to my house with out fear of losing my job.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 07:59 AM
RE: proselytizing and work
(19-09-2012 03:02 AM)empiredivider Wrote:  I am new to this forum, but I have been listening to the podcast for about a year. I have a question I hope someone here can help me with.

First some background to the question: For a few years I have been getting in my mail a small magazine called The Guidepost. It is a religious bias magazine that you have to order and pay a monthly subscription to receive. This is their website... The Guidepost. The problem is I never ordered this magazine, due to the fact that my family and I are atheists. I emailed the company some time in February (still have the email conversation) to please stop sending me their magazine. To their credit they did, for a while. I assume who ever signed me up did it again; so now I have started receiving these again. While talking to someone at work about the issue I found out that they also receive these magazines. So I asked more people and apparently everyone at work gets these. A supervisor at work informed me that the company pays for these. The question is, Is this legal? Can a National company who takes some government contracts legally use my personal information to mail me proselytizing magazines such as The Guidepost? I don't want to sue, but I would like to know if I am in the right to ask HR to have them stop mailing them to my house with out fear of losing my job.

You are certainly in the right to tell (not ask) HR to stop this.
Only you can assess the risk of doing so. But you can reduce the risk if several of you tell HR to stop.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
19-09-2012, 08:07 AM
I used to do my part for the postal service by moving the contents of my mailbox to the recycling bin. So do your bit, citizen, and shut yer hole. Big Grin

Nah. Depends how much you like your job. I'd firebomb the place, but then again, I'm a psychopath. Hobo

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-09-2012, 08:17 AM
First off a few questions:

1. Do you live in an at will employment state? If so, tread lightly.
2. Do you know of anyone else who wants to stop getting them as well? As mentioned, power in numbers. You DO indeed risk being a target if you're "that atheist guy" who decides to take a stand.
3. Is the company a religious company in any way? Remember there are companies who in some places can consider their team's beliefs part of "the company culture." and as stupid as that sounds, it also means if you aren't a fit you can be fired.

These are of course, coming from someone who lives in an at will state. If your job pays well and you care about it, and you definitely don't want to lose it, or losing your job would cause you serious personal hardship, I would say to contact a lawyer regarding the circumstances at the very least if you're that worried. It doesn't mean you have to sue, but many lawyers will give you a meeting and their $.02 about the situation if you come in for a consultation meeting. Sometimes it's free, sometimes it costs $15 or $20 from most laywers. That's sort of the "get you in the door, give you advice, anything further is hourly" sort of thing.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
19-09-2012, 09:25 AM
(19-09-2012 08:17 AM)Logisch Wrote:  First off a few questions:

1. Do you live in an at will employment state? If so, tread lightly.
2. Do you know of anyone else who wants to stop getting them as well? As mentioned, power in numbers. You DO indeed risk being a target if you're "that atheist guy" who decides to take a stand.
3. Is the company a religious company in any way? Remember there are companies who in some places can consider their team's beliefs part of "the company culture." and as stupid as that sounds, it also means if you aren't a fit you can be fired.

These are of course, coming from someone who lives in an at will state. If your job pays well and you care about it, and you definitely don't want to lose it, or losing your job would cause you serious personal hardship, I would say to contact a lawyer regarding the circumstances at the very least if you're that worried. It doesn't mean you have to sue, but many lawyers will give you a meeting and their $.02 about the situation if you come in for a consultation meeting. Sometimes it's free, sometimes it costs $15 or $20 from most laywers. That's sort of the "get you in the door, give you advice, anything further is hourly" sort of thing.

I echo Logisch's post here. Whether or not it's a good idea depends entirely on your national/state/local laws for wherever you live and work. Be aware of those before you make a fuss so you know where you stand legally. And if it's a big deal to you, get a professional legal consultation to discuss it further. Maybe contact your local ACLU branch if you're in the US. They'll probably be able to offer you some advice based on the local laws.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
19-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Guidepost magazine. That's a blast from the past.
I took many a long dump while reading Guidepost in my youth. Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-09-2012, 10:16 AM
(19-09-2012 09:40 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Guidepost magazine. That's a blast from the past.

Read, wipe, and flush. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-09-2012, 06:34 PM
(19-09-2012 09:40 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Guidepost magazine. That's a blast from the past.

I thought you were supposed to use the bible? Or is that emergency TP for camping trips?
19-09-2012, 07:41 PM
proselytizing and work
(19-09-2012 06:34 PM)Logisch Wrote:  

I thought you were supposed to use the bible? Or is that emergency TP for camping trips?

No, the Bible is only for hotel bathrooms.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post