psychics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
psychics
Tv shows, books, etc. like to claim that psychic powers exist - it is a multi-million dollar industry after all... However can it be proved as ever being more than coincidence?

discovery doesn't seem to think it is real. psychics fail to find baby

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 03:43 PM
RE: psychics
(04-12-2011 03:40 PM)niqi Wrote:  Tv shows, books, etc. like to claim that psychic powers exist - it is a multi-million dollar industry after all... However can it be proved as ever being more than coincidence?

discovery doesn't seem to think it is real. psychics fail to find baby

What do you think?

I believe there is no credible evidence for any psychic powers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM

(04-12-2011 03:40 PM)niqi Wrote:  What do you think?

I have posted the following several times already, but it fits here perfectly.

In his book, “The Meaning Of It All”, Richard Feynman gives a delightful account of how he would investigate someone’s claim of being a mind reader.

Quote:This fellow comes to me, and he says, "I will demonstrate this to you. We will stand at the roulette wheel and I will tell you ahead of time whether it is going to be black or red on every shot."

So from other experience and general knowledge, I have a strong prejudice against mind readers. Million to one.

Now we begin. The mind reader says it's going to be black. It's black. The mind reader says it's going to be red. It's red. Do I believe in mind readers? No. It could happen. The mind reader says it's going to be black. It's black. The mind reader says it's going to be red. It's red. Sweat. I'm about to learn something. This continues, let us suppose, for ten times. Now it's possible by chance that that happened ten times, but the odds are a thousand to one against it. Therefore, I now have to conclude that the odds that a mind reader is really doing it are a thousand to one that he's not a mind reader still, but it was a million to one before.
….
Now suppose that we go to another club, and it works, and another one and it works. I buy dice and it works. I take him home and I build a roulette wheel; it works. What do I conclude? I conclude he is a mind reader.

it is possible to conclude, by a number of tests, that mind reading really exists. If it does, I get extremely excited, because I didn't expect it before. I learned something that I did not know, and as a physicist would love to investigate it as a phenomenon of nature. Does it depend upon how far he is from the ball? What about if you put sheets of glass or paper or other materials in between?

To be prejudiced against mind reading a million to one does not mean that you can never be convinced that a man is a mind reader. The only way that you can never be convinced that a man is a mind reader is one of two things: If you are limited to a finite number of experiments, and he won't let you do any more, or if you are infinitely prejudiced at the beginning that it's absolutely impossible.”
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
04-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Man, you sure like that post, Zat. Big Grin

Real? It's a real scam. The real science is superposition. This witch is on it. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I agree with Dara O'briain, we should put psychics in a giant sack along with astrologers, homeopaths, and priests, close the top of the sack with string, and hit them all with sticks Big Grin!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 05:08 PM by houseofcantor.)
(04-12-2011 04:53 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I agree with Dara O'briain, we should put psychics in a giant sack along with astrologers, homeopaths, and priests, close the top of the sack with string, and hit them all with sticks Big Grin!

...then fill the sack with rocks and throw it in the river. Wink
Thinking about this topic as a witch, I'll offer my breakdown:

Bad witches develop their abilities for personal gain, which ain't always bad; good witches reverse engineer their abilities to provide a methodology whereby others can become witches, which ain't always good.

I describe it in this manner because I am a total failure at doing evil shit, so I must be good. The way I see it, science developed from witchcraft; the extent of my "magic" has been "faith healing" which I ain't fucking with no morez because my Gwynnies sed "all mankind." But if I develop a technology that ends up in the same category as "neutron bomb" or "HAARP," that won't be too good - yet that's tough. We go forward, not backwards, and if we cannot outsmart our lizard brains, then we don't deserve to be on the top of the food chain. All there is to it. Wink

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Of course it's not real. More touting of superstition in general. Ghosts, angels, demons, mind-reading... As if the little screen didn't already blur the line between reality and fantasy, just by existing, the fake reality shows, and fake confession, confrontation, pop-psychology and courtroom shows make it impossible to separate the two worlds. That's just exactly how marketers like things: the news stories and ads blend right into the grey area and their content goes directly into the audience's subconscious, bypassing the cerebrum.
The funny thing is, this feeds on the xtians more than any other group, since the content of spook shows is bawdlerized from their cultural and religious lore; the references and images are still attached to the depth of xtian belief. I wonder how religious parents deal with this problem.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
(04-12-2011 07:21 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  The funny thing is, this feeds on the xtians more than any other group, since the content of spook shows is bawdlerized from their cultural and religious lore; the references and images are still attached to the depth of xtian belief. I wonder how religious parents deal with this problem.

Nothing funny about it seeing how there was no Jesus and Paul didn't know enough to "flavor the Holy Spirit." But I know that through witchcraft. Wink

This witch recommends skepticism and critical thinking remain in use at all times; the kind of witch I am requires me to warn others that witches like me exist - and if they try to pull any woo on you, just remember these words. Wink

04-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I opened this thread and was surprised to find it about psychics, because I thought it was going to be about physics. I was disappointed. But I moved on and thought about the actual subject.

My thought was that I do not think it impossible for someone to be psychic so long as certain currently unproven theories are supposed to be correct. Such as the multiverse and other the other us. If this were to be proven correct then I think there might be a way for us to all share some sort of super essence, or something else insane like that. Think the classic Jet Li movie "The One". Meaning if I kill all my other mes then I become more powerful by absorbing our essence. Anyways, maybe psychic abilities are only the results of "seeing" through another of my eyes that matches our universe in almost every way, or some such nonsense. Anyways that's all a bunch of gibberish nonsense, I like physics.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Physics is a conspiracy theory to you, lucradis? Tongue

There ain't nothing I ever heard of, can't be covered with superposition and electromagnetic communication. The first one's up to theory, the second an hypothesis with real science behind it. The problem is what the problem's always been - people gonna believe what they wanna believe.

Believe it or not, me and my Gwynnies are on that one too. The potential of deriving the human variant of the "Witwiki symbolism" is fucking outrageous, but right now it's straight witchcraft. Wink