psychics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2011, 12:04 PM
RE: psychics
(20-12-2011 11:19 AM)Leela Wrote:  Ask a psychic to attend a test of their abilities.
Either they fail or they tell you that they do not have to prove anything and that it doesn't work under pressure anyway. At least that are the excuses I heard and used myself back in my witchy times...

The beauty is, if they prove themselves correct, we get to burn them at the stake, right? Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Ask yourself this question.........

Is your idea that it is all bullshit actually based upon you meeting maybe ten or more psychics in real life.......having the experience and knowledge of questions and how not to give anything away in your speech or body language??? On how to answer either with "no" or "I can take something from that"???

I have met plenty of them in my travels.......MANY of them are fake (look up Derren Browns techniques for a broad range of learning) however there are a certain amount that seem under scrutiny very very genuine.

Im sure all of us have walked into a room when there is an atmosphere......something you cant see but can tangibly sense.....are you pyschic or is that just bullshit....or has science proved how that works???

Ever had "gut feelings" about somebody when you meet them that turn out to be correct??? How and why are you picking up those "vibes"......is that some sort of pyschic power I wonder or again has science got an explanation for it???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-12-2011, 03:06 PM
(20-12-2011 02:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im sure all of us have walked into a room when there is an atmosphere......something you cant see but can tangibly sense.....are you pyschic or is that just bullshit....or has science proved how that works???

I think that human body language can explain that. Expressions on people's faces and how they act alert us to the 'atmosphere'.

Quote:Ever had "gut feelings" about somebody when you meet them that turn out to be correct??? How and why are you picking up those "vibes"......is that some sort of pyschic power I wonder or again has science got an explanation for it???

The 'gut-feeling' thing is partially fluke and partially appearance. We automatically judge people when we see them and our gut feelings, more often than not, stem from that. There is also an element of coincidence to it. I've had times when I had gut feelings that are correct, I've also been wrong on occasions.

This is because they are very vague judgements based primarily on first impressions.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
28-12-2011, 01:28 PM
(20-12-2011 02:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  Ask yourself this question.........

Is your idea that it is all bullshit actually based upon you meeting maybe ten or more psychics in real life.......having the experience and knowledge of questions and how not to give anything away in your speech or body language??? On how to answer either with "no" or "I can take something from that"???
I have met them, I even WAS one Wink
More explanation after the second quote.

(20-12-2011 02:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im sure all of us have walked into a room when there is an atmosphere......something you cant see but can tangibly sense.....are you pyschic or is that just bullshit....or has science proved how that works???

Ever had "gut feelings" about somebody when you meet them that turn out to be correct??? How and why are you picking up those "vibes"......is that some sort of pyschic power I wonder or again has science got an explanation for it???
You look into their face, and you see that tiny twitch or the eye, the tiny curling of the lip, a tiny movements of the eyebrows, you notice what they do with their hands and when, you notice their legs and position of arms, what they are wearing, how they did their hair, smells, the talking rythm and the words they are using, etc etc...

Even if you are not good in this cold reading stuff, did you know that you judge, someone who you just met, in less than a second? Your eyes are doing a specific movement, coming from the "stone age part" of your brain (noone but me calls it that, so sorry). And even if you do not look in a direction consiously your eyes are moving for split seconds, everywhere, all the time. So you notice a lot more subcosious than consious, and that's your gutfeeling and the picking up vibes. Don't underestimate your brain! It's all normal, not supernatural.

Oh and about giving it away. Most of our communication is not verbal but body language, facial expressions, dressing, etc. So if you know what to hide, fine, you can hide, but some people overdo the hiding part. If you know people well in general you have a pretty good sense of what should be normal in a situation, and then again your gutfeeling kicks in, especially if you know the people you are with.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
28-12-2011, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2011 03:37 PM by bemore.)
(28-12-2011 01:28 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(20-12-2011 02:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  Ask yourself this question.........

I have met them, I even WAS one Wink
More explanation after the second quote.

You look into their face, and you see that tiny twitch or the eye, the tiny curling of the lip, a tiny movements of the eyebrows, you notice what they do with their hands and when, you notice their legs and position of arms, what they are wearing, how they did their hair, smells, the talking rythm and the words they are using, etc etc...

Even if you are not good in this cold reading stuff, did you know that you judge, someone who you just met, in less than a second? Your eyes are doing a specific movement, coming from the "stone age part" of your brain (noone but me calls it that, so sorry). And even if you do not look in a direction consiously your eyes are moving for split seconds, everywhere, all the time. So you notice a lot more subcosious than consious, and that's your gutfeeling and the picking up vibes. Don't underestimate your brain! It's all normal, not supernatural.

Oh and about giving it away. Most of our communication is not verbal but body language, facial expressions, dressing, etc. So if you know what to hide, fine, you can hide, but some people overdo the hiding part. If you know people well in general you have a pretty good sense of what should be normal in a situation, and then again your gutfeeling kicks in, especially if you know the people you are with.

Yes you can hide a lot/confuse people through your body language but staying "cold" does not hide personal details that only genuine psychics can work out like names, dates and places.

Yes you have given possible logical explanations to what I said about "sensing atmospheres" when you enter a room.

I wonder if you can give an explanation to the times when you feel somebody watching you......then you turn and confirm visually afterwards that a person was watching you.
(28-12-2011 01:28 PM)Leela Wrote:  I have met them, I even WAS one Wink

From the sound of your explanation you pretended to be psychic.....so in that case you WASNT one. Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-12-2011, 03:40 PM
(28-12-2011 03:30 PM)bemore Wrote:  I wonder if you can give an explanation to the times when you feel somebody watching you......then you turn and confirm visually afterwards that a person was watching you.

Coincidence. Selective memory.
There are many more moments when someone is watching you and you have no notion of it.
There are many more instances when no one is watching you but you feel there is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
28-12-2011, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2011 03:58 PM by Leela.)
bemore
I have most common explanations that are all true:

People often have that feeling but not everytime you have that feeling is when you are really being watched. You simply remember only when you have really been watched.

Let's imagine a scene just to make things very clear.

So you are at a party, you are having a conversation with someone, there are lots of people, music, movement, maybe it's not very well lit where you are.
Would you agree that a place like that is where you can't use all your senses 100 % to notice everything around you?
I am slowing down the scene now.
Your conversation partner had a tiny eye movement > unfocussing you and focussing on something behind you. It was only a split second but it happened and you noticed it subconsciously.
What is happening in your brain is very stoneage-ish. About this is happening in your brain: "This conversation was interesting but something made him unfocus. What's there? Why did he look there? Is something behind me? Someone watching? Danger?" This was just a split second to remind you.
*back to normal speed*
You have a weird feeling that someone is watching you. You turn around and you were right, tadaa.

And of course the phenomenon that you think someone is watching you. Someone you were actually watching a minute ago, maybe someone you like or have a crush on or hate. This person did in fact also notice you. Now what is happening is that thing I explained in my earlier post. Just this time more specific, your subconscious eyemovement is more specific now, more in that area because earlier you paid attention to that area already. And the same is happening with the other person. Now you turn away, get a drink, talk to someone but you did not forget about that person even if you are not thinking about him/her right now.
Again the feeling someone is watching (this time because you were actually noticing a person before), you turn around and the person is in fact watching > because this person was also subconsciously checking you out and when he/she noticed (conscious or not) that you moved he/she looked. Stoneage-ish you could be a danger, you see.

Quote:From the sound of your explanation you pretended to be psychic.....so in that case you WASNT one.
I thought I was Wink I also thought I was a witch Wink I also thought I was a dragon Big Grin want more? Big Grin

edit: I should start using the preview option instead of editing all the time....

28-12-2011, 04:53 PM
(15-12-2011 09:53 AM)Leela Wrote:  Ok this is about being psychic. And that, if you believe in it, is more than mind reading. Mind reading is one part. Just to name the main other parts of it:
Feeling spirits around you, feeling other peoples' emotions, there is a kind of battling in these circles which only works with channeling energies with your mind, there is the part where you move objects, heal with thoughts only.

I used to believe in all of the above for a very long time:
In my circles everyone believed in it and a few claimed they could read minds.

When someone told you something you just thought of> he read your mind.
When someone said just the right thing to you to feel better > he read your mind.
If you had a sudden headache > someone battled you
If something moved and you didn't see the source > telekinesis
If you had bad luck with something > Someone who doesn't like you was to be blamed to cause the bad luck
If you froze when noone else did > it was a spirit trying to get in touch with you
etc etc

So when I first met people who believed in such things like I did back then, it was really weird.
I didn't want people to read my mind or "attack" me with their minds. So I learned cool techniques to protect myself and hit back.
And got delusional enough to actually think this all works fine. And people started reacting to me like I really know these things well and noone could read my mind anymore.

But let's face it. All you need to be a "psychic" is:
> Be really good in reading body language
> Be really good in reading facial expressions
> Know how your behavior, speech, body language, facial expressions, outfit, etc influences people

So in my case, once I started thinking and questioning my beliefs, and the psychic topic was part of it, I was done with it pretty fast.

So long story short > It's all bogus

cheers
Leela

Being a witch is a requirement to speak out against the former Wiccan, no?

No. If it is not electromagnetic communication, then my naive philosophy will have to grow beyond witchcraft. But I ain't worried. Electromagnetic communication is a scientific hypothesis meaning that I ain't got nothing to prove; either the science is there, or it is not. If it is, then witchcraft as I understand the term is no longer occult but another form of language. (win/win). If it is not, then elimination electromagnetic communication eliminates another vector from woo. (win/win). Wink

Exploitation is not win. Perhaps if I fell head-over-heels for someone other than Gwyneth Paltrow, it would not be a moral issue; I would be able to use my knowledge for personal gain. But, alas, I have condemned my self to mine the resource of Mind for all mankind; or not at all. Dang Gwynnies. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
28-12-2011, 05:28 PM
(28-12-2011 04:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Being a witch is a requirement to speak out against the former Wiccan, no?
no

(28-12-2011 04:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  No. If it is not electromagnetic communication, then my naive philosophy will have to grow beyond witchcraft. But I ain't worried. Electromagnetic communication is a scientific hypothesis meaning that I ain't got nothing to prove; either the science is there, or it is not. If it is, then witchcraft as I understand the term is no longer occult but another form of language. (win/win). If it is not, then elimination electromagnetic communication eliminates another vector from woo. (win/win). Wink
Know what that reminds me of?
I was invited to a magical meet and greet at a weird coven. And their guru had some weird ideas about molecules Confused His idea was based on the fact that electrons etc move and when you are at a very high spiritual level you can control them and therefore be able to actually walk through things because you can then influence their density Huh

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
28-12-2011, 07:47 PM
(28-12-2011 05:28 PM)Leela Wrote:  Know what that reminds me of?
I was invited to a magical meet and greet at a weird coven. And their guru had some weird ideas about molecules Confused His idea was based on the fact that electrons etc move and when you are at a very high spiritual level you can control them and therefore be able to actually walk through things because you can then influence their density Huh

Yeah, huh? Looking for a way to prove his "guru-ness" no doubt. The similarity I see between such an entity and myself was back in the day of Large Number Conception - the probability wave that signifies "I am here," is, after all, just a matter of number. If one could somehow conceptualize these numbers, then is it possible to will oneself through a wall? Perhaps - through alignment of quantum tunneling and LNC. Wink

It just never had any value to me to able to do "magic tricks." Anecdote is enough for me to be morally comfortable in the self-entitlement of witch; in terms of philosophy, I'm Left-Hand path - how could I be other but witch - I just don't see a need to justify my identity. An atheist tells me it's hogwash - then it is hogwash - my morality does not depend on incomplete identity. Witchcraft is a means to an end, not an end unto itself; if I manage to provide science to the Gaia hypothesis, then skepticism is not disparaged. Being a coven of one gives me lots of leeway. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]