"...putting an arsonist in charge of fighting fires."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2016, 09:31 AM
"...putting an arsonist in charge of fighting fires."
The latest "good news":

Quote:President-elect Donald Trump is expected to nominate Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to lead the Environmental Protection Agency, a source close to Pruitt said Wednesday.

Pruitt, a 48-year-old Republican, has been a reliable booster of the fossil fuel industry and an outspoken critic of what he derides as the EPA's "activist agenda."

Environmental groups quickly denounced Pruitt as a puppet of polluters, with the Sierra Club likening his selection as EPA administrator to "putting an arsonist in charge of fighting fires."

I saw this in today's Wisconsin State Journal, but the article comes from the Associated Press (byline Michael Biesecker and Sean Murphy).

Oh, the joy -- the Sierra Club quote matches my feelings about this. As unfogged put it a few weeks ago, Trump's platform boils down to "1. Fuck the environment. 2. Fuck civil rights."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2016, 09:51 AM
RE: "...putting an arsonist in charge of fighting fires."
(08-12-2016 09:31 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Oh, the joy -- the Sierra Club quote matches my feelings about this. As unfogged put it a few weeks ago, Trump's platform boils down to "1. Fuck the environment. 2. Fuck civil rights."

Ah, so Trump is really with the Tea Party.

Yeah, this is crazy. Pruitt will destroy the EPA.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Jesus fucking christ.
08-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Nah, it won't destroy the American environmental movement, it will divide it. States and cities will pick up the slack from the EPA hands. This will lead to more disrepency between coastal States and southern States. The most polluted State in America is Lousianna if I am not mistaken. It will get worse for them and its inhabitant will be the ones paying for it in the first place with greater health risk, massive cleaning bills and economical stagnation. Trump residency will prevent the rise of a cohesive strategie to fight climate changes and pollution and enhance the innequality between States.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
08-12-2016, 01:43 PM
(08-12-2016 01:21 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Nah, it won't destroy the American environmental movement, it will divide it. States and cities will pick up the slack from the EPA hands. This will lead to more disrepency between coastal States and southern States. The most polluted State in America is Lousianna if I am not mistaken. It will get worse for them and its inhabitant will be the ones paying for it in the first place with greater health risk, massive cleaning bills and economical stagnation. Trump residency will prevent the rise of a cohesive strategie to fight climate changes and pollution and enhance the innequality between States.

The problem is that pollution does not respect state boundaries (or any other boundaries), and probably the most serious environmental problem is global climate change -- of which this guy is a denier. What individual cities or states do is less important than having a coherent national and global policy.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-12-2016, 01:47 PM
(08-12-2016 01:21 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Nah, it won't destroy the American environmental movement, it will divide it.

If this was in reply to what I said above, I was referring to Pruitt destroying the agency (EPA) itself.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-12-2016, 02:01 PM
(08-12-2016 01:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 01:21 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Nah, it won't destroy the American environmental movement, it will divide it. States and cities will pick up the slack from the EPA hands. This will lead to more disrepency between coastal States and southern States. The most polluted State in America is Lousianna if I am not mistaken. It will get worse for them and its inhabitant will be the ones paying for it in the first place with greater health risk, massive cleaning bills and economical stagnation. Trump residency will prevent the rise of a cohesive strategie to fight climate changes and pollution and enhance the innequality between States.

The problem is that pollution does not respect state boundaries (or any other boundaries), and probably the most serious environmental problem is global climate change -- of which this guy is a denier. What individual cities or states do is less important than having a coherent national and global policy.
My fear is that the scientists who are saying that we're past the point of no return are right and that we've already collectively doomed the lives of future generations. I've read that when the global temperature increases by a certain amount, several negative feedback loops will start to occur which will lead to an unstoppable runaway greenhouse effect. It won't get to the point where our oceans are literally going to boil like they did on Venus anytime soon, but it will cause our species and all other life on Earth significant problems long before that. We should probably do as much as we can to delay this potentially inevitable outcome with or without the US.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post