questioning my faith.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2013, 11:11 PM
questioning my faith.
greetings and salutations TTA posters, i'm a christian of a good 15 years now, a practicing baptist. i'm really beginning to question how this lifestyle choice makes me feel, and how it affects me and the people around me. is this something i really want to be teaching my children? is it something i should be believing?

the more and more i hear my mother dote on every little thing as if it's an act of god makes me question it more and more. i've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and tourette's syndrome, which both her and her mother are convinced is some sort of demonic influence, rather than explainable by science. every sleepless night, every manic state, every tear, all the power of a demon to them.

the more i see how people of my faith treat those around them, condemning subsets of people makes me cry inside. how can people who claim to be followers of a man who promoted peace and love of others regardless of creed, status, or belief? this is furthering my doubt in an ever loving god, as if being a christian means getting rid of common decency, why would i want to be one? be it a divorcee, a gay man, a protstitute, or even someone who isn't white, they're all people too.

lastly, adhering to the dogma these people tell me to follow, how do i put up with it? such uneducated, out of context cherry picking can include: i cant eat pork because it's an unclean animal, im not allowed to shave or cut my hair in exotic ways, piercings are bad, anything with magic is bad, alcohol is evil, sex is taboo.. and so forth... every moment with my family feels like i have to conform to their boxed view on society...

sorry for the long winded post, im just having a serious question of faith, when the more and more i think about a "loving god" taking care of me or the family, yet all the nasty ways my church family judges people. the things that are totally ok by society, yet this book lists all the things im supposedly not allowed to do. it just feels like chains, pressuring me.

could i please have some advice? should i give up my faith? or should i walk it my own way?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2013, 11:48 PM
RE: questioning my faith.
I really feel for you, and I know from experience that these must be such hard questions to ask. I hesitate to give advice because of my youth, but I would say be true to yourself, what you feel deep down is right. Take your time with it, do some research, and don't let anyone else push you into a decision. I hope you find your peace, friend. ^_^
[+] 1 user Likes Kari93's post
14-08-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm sure there's probably many people more qualified to offer advice. It took me many years before I accepted the truth that I didn't believe. Then I realized that I was ok without it -- things made more sense for me and really my whole outlook changed.

Lastly Hug Whatever you decide is the right choice for you.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

14-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Nowhere does it state that questioning is a bad thing. It's implied in the dogma, but even Jesus said to question everything (supposedly).

Just keep thinking. Ask questions, any questions. Here we're all glad to answer to the best of our ability. Welcome.

I hope you find the answers and are comforted, even if they aren't the answers you want to hear. Truth is important.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-08-2013, 11:59 PM
the problem is, i dont know what to accept as truth. what helped some of you choose to denounce god?
15-08-2013, 12:03 AM
(14-08-2013 11:59 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  the problem is, i dont know what to accept as truth. what helped some of you choose to denounce god?

The short answer for me is that I'm a lesbian, and I got tired of people telling me that even if I was a good person nothing I could do would ever change my fate of hellfire. I couldn't buy it anymore. I can't follow something that condemns love.

Again, my personal opinion, I hope I'm not overstepping.
[+] 1 user Likes Kari93's post
15-08-2013, 12:08 AM
you aren't, people are people, whether youre white, black, straight, gay, poor, or rich. im personally having qualms about the same issue. my wife's 2 uncles, and aunt (who was formerly an uncle) are all LGBT, yet my mother wants us to have nothing to do with them. it's disgusting of her.
15-08-2013, 12:09 AM
(14-08-2013 11:59 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  the problem is, i dont know what to accept as truth. what helped some of you choose to denounce god?

I don't think it's what I accepted as truth, rather what I realized was ridiculous to accept as the truth. I've never denounced god. I simply cannot honestly believe that religions get it right. Specifically for me the christian god, being that I was a christian for most of my life.

If I don't have a coherent concept of god, what's the use in worshipping one?
That's just my view, you have to come to your own conclusions.

Look around here.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
15-08-2013, 12:51 AM
(15-08-2013 12:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  

I don't think it's what I accepted as truth, rather what I realized was ridiculous to accept as the truth. I've never denounced god. I simply cannot honestly believe that religions get it right. Specifically for me the christian god, being that I was a christian for most of my life.

If I don't have a coherent concept of god, what's the use in worshipping one?
That's just my view, you have to come to your own conclusions.

Look around here.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

maybe i worded it incorrectly, what i meant was, what affected how you made your decision consider one over the other, if you dont mind sharing?
15-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Belief isn't really a decision.

If you read around a subject, you form an opinion... that's about it. You're probably going through what a lot of us went through... For me I realised that the stuff was kinda ridiculous but I couldn't put my finger on why for a long time. I'd just read a bit more if I were you, even read those irritating people like Josh McDowell and so on (not that I ever managed to read his drivel), and see what you think is true.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post