questioning my faith.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2013, 01:03 AM
RE: questioning my faith.
(15-08-2013 12:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Belief isn't really a decision.

If you read around a subject, you form an opinion... that's about it. You're probably going through what a lot of us went through... For me I realised that the stuff was kinda ridiculous but I couldn't put my finger on why for a long time. I'd just read a bit more if I were you, even read those irritating people like Josh McDowell and so on (not that I ever managed to read his drivel), and see what you think is true.

to me, a belief is a decision, i gather the evidence to inform myself whether or not i should believe something, whether it be an anecdote, a theory, or religion.

for example, let's just say conservative A thinks TV should have sexual imagery censored on TV. his belief is formulated based off what study x says about how sexually explicit images affect a mind that isnt taught what they're looking at, teen pregnancy rates, and maybe his own personal experiences. one cannot make a decision to believe in something without tangibly forming a coherent reason why based off of what they've absorbed.

saying one believes in something without a foundation of reason to back it up is lying to you and themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2013, 01:12 AM
(14-08-2013 11:59 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  the problem is, i dont know what to accept as truth. what helped some of you choose to denounce god?

For me it was a slow process riddled sometimes with anger. I started reading the bible objectively and began to realize this couldn't be truth. A god that can do anything and demand people worship it? Why would it care? And if you don't...eternal torment.

I have a hard time with that -- especially when people attach the whole "good and just" words to god. There's nothing good or just about sentencing someone, who is good and does good things, to eternal pain and torture simply because they didn't say the right prayer or worship it the right way.

It just didn't make sense.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

15-08-2013, 01:15 AM
What I mean is... you don't choose what you think is true.

I can't choose to believe in God. I've seen too much evidence against. If you showed me evidence for, I might change my mind. But I don't choose... just at some point I will see the point you're driving at and think "Oh, that makes sense, I cannot deny that this is purely good evidence, therefore my previous belief was wrong". But I don't get to *choose* when that occurs.

Believing without evidence is as you say, illogical. Ergo, again, as you mentioned, research is necessary. Otherwise... having an uninformed opinion is worse than just saying "I don't know"...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-08-2013, 02:31 AM
(14-08-2013 11:11 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  could i please have some advice?

Lots of folks here will give you hard-line advice. Maybe it will work for you. Let me offer a softer option, though.

Keep the love and peace Jesus taught. I see nothing wrong with having admirable human role models to look up to. When people around you say things about God or magic powers from Jesus, replace it in your mind with something like "The connection of love possible between all people." If their statement still sounds true, agree with them politely. If what they say suddenly sounds psychotic... like, for instance, "The connection of love possible between all people HATES FAGS!" or "The connection of love possible between all people will heal your uncle's diabetes!"... don't accept it as a true statement. You know better. You don't have to contradict them though, if the conflict that might result won't serve any purpose.

I'm sorry to hear about your psychiatric troubles. I have some too. Some of my compulsive behaviors resemble Tourette's, and I know how hard it is to feel out of control over actions. Of course, there are no devils or demons... it would honestly be easier if there were. Going through exorcism once is way easier than keeping up on medication, frequent visits to professionals, and hard work learning to manage your condition.

When did Baptists reject pork? Best chicken-fried pork chop I ever had was cooked by a Baptist. Maybe she was a different flavor of Baptist. Smile

I wouldn't go wild with breaking taboos as you begin to reject dogma. Alcohol isn't evil, but drinking too much can be unpleasant. Obviously, rejecting dogmas about sex doesn't mean you should not use good judgement, caution, and protection. Even getting wild haircuts might have pretty strong consequences if you don't live independently. When you DO live independently, do anything you're comfortable with to your hair.

Welcome to the forum. Around here, too, accept what's good for you and correct, and reject any BS people may send your way. Thumbsup

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
15-08-2013, 02:38 AM
(14-08-2013 11:59 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  the problem is, i dont know what to accept as truth. what helped some of you choose to denounce god?

My path was easier than most. I never believed in a God, so there was nothing to denounce.

I remember once I asked my mother how all the different trees change color at the same time. She said "God does it." My response was, "No, but how really?"

Of course, I knew she wasn't serious about the answer, and she really meant "I don't know". She was a Buddhist. :-)

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
15-08-2013, 08:04 AM
(15-08-2013 12:51 AM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  maybe i worded it incorrectly, what i meant was, what affected how you made your decision consider one over the other, if you dont mind sharing?

Not at all. I'm a preachers kid, grew up in the church and never questioned the matter of faith. After I left home, I (like a lot of preachers kids from what I hear) fell out of the habit of going to church.

Time went on, I got married and had kids. Eventually I wanted to do right by my sons and reaffirm my faith and get back into church. By this time I had grown up quite a bit, had a different perspective on faith and had some questions. Once I started researching some of these questions, a whole can of worms opened up. I was pretty obsessed in a "quest for truth" for a while, and in the end I couldn't honestly justify believing anymore.

That's my story in a nutshell.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
15-08-2013, 11:02 AM
(14-08-2013 11:11 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  could i please have some advice? should i give up my faith? or should i walk it my own way?

Its a book which contains a story that describe how the universe began, signs of its end and how to live your life. It has only just been around over 2000 years and up until its creation the whole of life never knew of its existence and didn't follow its doctrine.

Its not the only book as there are others today with other stories and rules and there have been many books throughout our history containing stories of different gods.

You, like millions of other people were born into a family indoctrinated with this belief system. You were born to parents who follow Jesus whilst millions of others are born into families that follow Allah. I was born into a family with no religious indoctrination.

Its just a belief that has been hoisted upon your which (by the sounds of it) you are questioning more and more that sounds like you may well be on your way to start seeing the world in your view.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
15-08-2013, 11:08 AM
(14-08-2013 11:11 PM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  could i please have some advice? should i give up my faith? or should i walk it my own way?

I am going to recommend two things to you. The first is to embrace your faith. The second is to ignore it.

First, embrace it: First of all, pray. Secondly, get others to pray with you. Humbly and honestly seek the guidance and deliverance God promises to provide. Ask Him to be with you throughout your fight and to win the fight with and for you.

Second, ignore it: you have an honest medical condition. Do what you can to find out how it works and how it can be treated. Seek out the doctors and the other experts who can point you in the right direction to get the right treatment. You can do this as if there is no God, or you can do this as abiding by the principle that God helps those who help themselves. Whatever: it's independent of a belief in God. If there's a medical/scientific answer to help you, find it, avail yourself of it, and get the help you need to either live with what you've got or get rid of it.

Deciding to leave your faith is a personal decision that you have to come to on your own. I can't and won't advise you on it, but I can answer any questions you may have about my lack of faith in a personal God, and I'm sure others here would be pleased to answer questions for themselves as well. But what should YOU do? You should do what you think is right.

Just some thoughts. My apologies if I oversimplified anything in my ignorance.
15-08-2013, 12:08 PM
(15-08-2013 01:03 AM)HibikiTachibana Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 12:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Belief isn't really a decision.

If you read around a subject, you form an opinion... that's about it. You're probably going through what a lot of us went through... For me I realised that the stuff was kinda ridiculous but I couldn't put my finger on why for a long time. I'd just read a bit more if I were you, even read those irritating people like Josh McDowell and so on (not that I ever managed to read his drivel), and see what you think is true.

to me, a belief is a decision, i gather the evidence to inform myself whether or not i should believe something, whether it be an anecdote, a theory, or religion.

for example, let's just say conservative A thinks TV should have sexual imagery censored on TV. his belief is formulated based off what study x says about how sexually explicit images affect a mind that isnt taught what they're looking at, teen pregnancy rates, and maybe his own personal experiences. one cannot make a decision to believe in something without tangibly forming a coherent reason why based off of what they've absorbed.

saying one believes in something without a foundation of reason to back it up is lying to you and themselves.

I think MoronDog is just trying to say that if you have already taken the red pill my friend.

You can think yourself out of belief but never into belief. You can lie to yourself or deny your intuition and suppress logic....but thats not belief that is faking belief.

When I hit this point 13 years ago it came down to one simple question....

"Since I no longer truly believe, and I can never close that door again, what is more nobel... living a lie, going the motions and pretending to believe or open disbelief?...Should I defy Gods laws or defy God Omniscience? Who has more honor an honest atheist or a dishonest theist?"

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
15-08-2013, 12:39 PM
I saw a show on The Discovery Channel (or something similar) with a guy who had massive, violent body convulsions. This guy would literally fold in half, extremely fast and it happened hundreds of times per day. These convulsions were so violent that he had given himself whiplash. He couldn't walk, eat, bathe or pretty much anything else without having issues.

He was eventually diagnosed with Tourette's. The convulsions were his "ticks".

He underwent a procedure where probes were inserted at some point in his brain. These probes emitted small electrical pulses that all but eliminated the convulsions. He would still have some shaking, but they were probably only 5% as apparent as they were before the probes were "installed".

I really wish I could find the episode so perhaps you could show that to your family, but I really don't think it would help.

Anyhow, welcome, thanks for sharing your story and by all means, keep questioning your beliefs.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel