questions about the fear of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 01:54 PM
questions about the fear of hell
Hello all!
Im writing a paper for a psychology class that addresses the idea of anxiety in believers and non-believers, particularly as it pertains to heaven and hell, and I need your help.

With any luck, this paper is going to lay groundwork for some research I hope to do later in my course of study, so any input you provide is greatly appreciated!

I need anecdotal stories, pertaining to your thoughts on hell and heaven.

There are 2 sides to this coin that I'm trying to explore:

1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your
de-conversion? Do you maintain a fear of hell in a "what if I'm wrong" capacity?

2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you
hold any anxiety about missing out on heaven if you're wrong?

Thanks everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 02:01 PM
RE: questions about the fear of hell
In answer:

Call me a casual cradle Catholic up to age 14 or so - went to church, did confirmation, did CCD, but never spent much thought on it. My mother and father were both raised Catholic, but didn't push it much. My mother took us to church, but certainly didn't preach (outside of the occasional "advice" about sex to us as teenagers - but that was more along lines of "sex is tacky" than "sex is a sin.") My father, a doctor, went on Christmas and Easter, but it must have been pretty clear to us that he wasn't much of a believer. In fact he was, by his own definition, an agnostic leaning atheist.

1) As a sort of vague background anxiety, I did experience fear of hell as a believer. As a non-believer, I would say this is one of the few things that lingers for me. It's not much more than a faint background noise, but that *possibility* of permanent pain and torment still has a tiny bit of vestigial power deep in the recesses of my brain.

2) As a believer, I didn't think a whole lot about heaven. As a non-believer, I couldn't care less - except, perhaps, that I think eternal existence would be an incredible and incredibly tedious burden. In every way it's been described to me, heaven seems awful.

Hope that's useful.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
15-12-2014, 02:43 PM
I fear or have anxiety about those things in much the same way, I fear a leprechaun riding a unicorn will poke me in the ass while I'm pooping.

Do you feel any fear or anxiety that evil Santa who lives at the south pole will steal your Christmas presents ?

What if your wrong about evil Santa ?

Feel free to quote me

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
15-12-2014, 02:52 PM
1) Yes. No.

2) No. No.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-12-2014, 02:55 PM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your
de-conversion? Do you maintain a fear of hell in a "what if I'm wrong" capacity?

2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you

Thanks everyone!

1. Yes it has, a very nice benefit of no longer believing in myth.

2. For a little while, I grew up in a Christian fundamentalist household, it's hard to shake old beliefs, but the rational mind eventually wins out, you realize the bible is truly and obviously a myth to control people and hell was a psychological tool for that.

Fear flees from knowledge.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-12-2014, 03:23 PM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your

1a. Yes

1b. No longer, but I did for years after my apostasy.

2a. No. In fact, it would cause me more anxiety these days if I thought heaven was real. Eternity in brain-washed, mind-numbing, permanent glazed-eyed, smile-faced worship of the tyrannical being who (if real) single-handedly committed the worst atrocities ever anywhere is not my idea of something to look forward to. No

2b. Hell no!

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
15-12-2014, 03:28 PM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  Hello all!
Im writing a paper for a psychology class that addresses the idea of anxiety in believers and non-believers, particularly as it pertains to heaven and hell, and I need your help.

With any luck, this paper is going to lay groundwork for some research I hope to do later in my course of study, so any input you provide is greatly appreciated!

I need anecdotal stories, pertaining to your thoughts on hell and heaven.

There are 2 sides to this coin that I'm trying to explore:

1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your

Thanks everyone!

1. No and

2. Fuck no.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
15-12-2014, 03:35 PM
I used to have a huge fear of hell when I was younger.

Ever since I rejected Arminian fundamentalism and accepted predestination, I don't even think about it. I really don't. Not even as a passing thought anymore. The thought of hell is something that is very detached from my being.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-12-2014, 04:01 PM
(15-12-2014 03:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I used to have a huge fear of hell when I was younger.

Ever since I rejected Arminian fundamentalism and accepted predestination, I don't even think about it. I really don't. Not even as a passing thought anymore. The thought of hell is something that is very detached from my being.

I rather like Rabelai's end words.......'Draw the curtains, the farce is over, I'm waiting for a great perhaps'

It seems death is either extinction, or more of whatever??..........sorry KC, can't relate to your capricious choosing first god/
15-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Both sets of grandparents (Catholic and Baptist) were regular church goers, but as a child my parents never went to church. I joined "summer vacation bible school" a couple of times, but more as a social club than anything religious. The "fear of hell" was thankfully never ingrained into my psyche.

(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you
hold any anxiety about missing out on heaven if you're wrong?[quote]

Thanks everyone!

No. Losing "heaven" would mean I believed in hell. We exist, and then we don't. I hold anxiety about death because nobody (mostly) wants to die. Not because I fear where I might go. But because I like life. It's really hard to do shit when you're dead.

The second mouse gets the cheese.