questions about the fear of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 04:32 PM
RE: questions about the fear of hell
(15-12-2014 04:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 03:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I used to have a huge fear of hell when I was younger.

Ever since I rejected Arminian fundamentalism and accepted predestination, I don't even think about it. I really don't. Not even as a passing thought anymore. The thought of hell is something that is very detached from my being.

I rather like Rabelai's end words.......'Draw the curtains, the farce is over, I'm waiting for a great perhaps'

It seems death is either extinction, or more of whatever??..........sorry KC, can't relate to your capricious choosing first god/

And maybe (big maybe) there is a "whatever". Until then...The fuck of it all is...no-one can prove it either way. So in the meantime let's do "SCIENCE"
http://youtu.be/E9SbCeFcMPI

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 04:40 PM
My biggest fear was dying a virgin because I didn't want to be a sex slave for some dead jihadist martyr.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
15-12-2014, 05:19 PM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your de-conversion? Do you maintain a fear of hell in a "what if I'm wrong" capacity?

No. I never really deconverted though. I went to church as a kid but my beliefs never matured much beyond the Santa Claus level. Religion simply never took hold in my head so neither did a fear of hell. I fear hell in much the same way that you likely fear Pele's fiery wrath.

(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you hold any anxiety about missing out on heaven if you're wrong?

No. Again, it never took root. As an intellectual concept, heaven and hell can only be distinguished from one another by the finest of forensic analysis. An Eternity singing The Praises of The All Mighty who wrote the rules condemning everybody who is not present to an Eternity of torment? Thanks, but I'm looking for a higher class of afterlife.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
15-12-2014, 07:05 PM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  Hello all!
Im writing a paper for a psychology class that addresses the idea of anxiety in believers and non-believers, particularly as it pertains to heaven and hell, and I need your help.

With any luck, this paper is going to lay groundwork for some research I hope to do later in my course of study, so any input you provide is greatly appreciated!

I need anecdotal stories, pertaining to your thoughts on hell and heaven.

There are 2 sides to this coin that I'm trying to explore:

1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your
de-conversion? Do you maintain a fear of hell in a "what if I'm wrong" capacity?

2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you
hold any anxiety about missing out on heaven if you're wrong?

Thanks everyone!

Hey! You looking for wordy answers or a simple yes/no? I guess I'll supply both.

1)No-yes, no.

I was raised a little different Christian. I was Mormon (which some argue isn't Christian, probably is a lot different really but still). There wasn't hell but Eternal Darkness. That's where extremely evil people go as well as those who knew the "full gospel" and denied it. Growing up, I believed and so I didn't fear. When I found myself questioning the church, that's when I feared. That dreaded, "what if it really is right? What if I'm on a road to complete darkness without the forgiveness for wanting to tread it because I didn't hear answers to my questions?" That fear was enough to keep praying anyways though I wasn't attending services. Then one day I just decided that if one part was fake, the rest is too. Occasionaly, I'd think about it once in a while when I first embraced myself being athiest but I'd calm myself down by reminding myself that its, like Bill from Left 4 Dead says, "a crock of shit," and about my life. Now, I don't. When I hear hell, I immediately think of Hell is for Children.

2)no

I dont think of all " I'm missing out on" but I am empathetic towards my family. Heaven is where, I was taught, a family is able to be together forever. Granted, my dad isn't Mormon so were not sealed together to be together together but still. My family knows I smoke, I have piercings, and I, like my brother, altogether don't attend church. We have yet to really talk but I'd be surprised if they thought I was still Mormon. So I'm more sad than anything thinking they'd be sad not to see me in heaven. Maybe they got some idea I'd still be there but....yknow...

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
15-12-2014, 09:58 PM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your
de-conversion? Do you maintain a fear of hell in a "what if I'm wrong" capacity?

2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you

1)a. I never really bought it when I was younger, just seemed too cruel. I was raised Catholic and the priests that I was around never really talked about it that much. I also went to a Catholic school and they really never said much about it if memory serves me. b) Not at all. No more than I fear getting coal in my stocking from Santa.

2a and b) Nope, similar to what a few said already, the idea of heaven (at least in the christian sense) would be like hell to me. The only sadness I get about it is from my wife because she thinks I am going to hell and she will not be with me in heaven. That is the only real pain about it that I have and it's not even about me.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
16-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Hell is the projection of a small and petty mind. Ya know what gives me anxiety? Beetles with those big fucking mandibles. Why the fuck a motherfucker need shit like that, if not to grab ahold of my big toe at three o'clock in the morning.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 05:18 AM
(16-12-2014 04:59 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hell is the projection of a small and petty mind. Ya know what gives me anxiety? Beetles with those big fucking mandibles. Why the fuck a motherfucker need shit like that, if not to grab ahold of my big toe at three o'clock in the morning.

[Image: Giant_Stag_Beetle_by_duggiehoo.jpg]

[Image: kill_it_with_fire.gif]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-12-2014, 08:09 AM
This feels like a good time for a "wolf spider carrying its babies" gif.

[Image: 5a7.gif]

'Murican Canadian
16-12-2014, 10:06 AM
(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  1) If you had a fear or anxiety of hell as a believer, has it gone away with your

That was the last remaining vestige of my former theism. I got to a point where I knew I didn't believe and I couldn't make myself believe again, but I was still afraid I might be making a mistake. It took about six months or so to get over that lingering dread.

I ultimately realized that I was worrying about one specific religion that I didn't believe in because it's how I was raised. There were other religions I didn't believe in, and I was never worried about their hells.

(15-12-2014 01:54 PM)lordsunny Wrote:  2) As an atheist, do you now hold any anxiety or fear for the "loss" of heaven? Do you

No. It was mildly disappointing to contemplate, but I didn't really contextualize it as that. Back when I was a believer, the idea of heaven wasn't something I really understood. I believed in it and assumed it must be pretty rad, and looked forward to it, but I wasn't looking forward to death, so it was all very abstract.

When I stopped believing, one of the things that bothered me was the notion of heaven. If God could make an "all good" place somewhere else, then any "solution" to the problem of evil was inherently problematic. The notion of heaven was one of the things that worked against my faith. So, I wasn't about to try and hold onto my faith just to be able to hold onto the hope of something supposedly good that ultimately made no sense, and made God look even more evil.

It took a lot of time, but the whole thing came down like a house of cards, and heaven was no exception. Several years later, I'm honestly pretty glad I don't believe in heaven.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses! This has been a deliciously unscientific survey to help me form my point, and I really appreciate the input!