quick question about the dead sea scrolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 09:51 PM
quick question about the dead sea scrolls
Are they first hand account of jesus? I ask only because this guy keeps telling that expects say they are . from my understanding they are not. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 12:23 AM
RE: quick question about the dead sea scrolls
I'll let the (honest, scholarly) Christians tell you themselves:

What do the Dead Sea Scrolls say about Jesus? Nothing.
What do they say about the world in which Jesus lived? Lots.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are comprised primarily of two types of texts: parts of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and sectarian works written by the small group (or groups) of Jews who lived at Qumran. The scrolls date from the mid-third century B.C.E. until the mid-first century C.E.

While the Dead Sea Scrolls do not shed light on the person or ministry of Jesus, they do illuminate practices and beliefs of ancient Judaism. Since Christianity began as a sect of Judaism, the scrolls are very important for understanding the earliest Christians and their writings—the New Testament.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily...testament/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-06-2016, 12:33 AM
No, they arent, but they showcase a jewish society that was contemporary. They date from ca. 200BCE to 100CE.
They show whet jewish culture of that time looked like, they contain fragments of several books of hte bible and so can contribute to the compilation of teh evolution of the books of the bible.

There is not a single mention of J.C. If someone claims so, im sure he can point to the exact scroll (they are named and numbered each) and verse.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
02-06-2016, 12:37 AM
(02-06-2016 12:23 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'll let the (honest, scholarly) Christians tell you themselves:

What do the Dead Sea Scrolls say about Jesus? Nothing.
What do they say about the world in which Jesus lived? Lots.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are comprised primarily of two types of texts: parts of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and sectarian works written by the small group (or groups) of Jews who lived at Qumran. The scrolls date from the mid-third century B.C.E. until the mid-first century C.E.

While the Dead Sea Scrolls do not shed light on the person or ministry of Jesus, they do illuminate practices and beliefs of ancient Judaism. Since Christianity began as a sect of Judaism, the scrolls are very important for understanding the earliest Christians and their writings—the New Testament.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily...testament/

Thank you. I'm having a hard tune understanding when they were written. Before or after Jesus death. And were any of the authers meet Jesus? I'm asking because this is what this guy is saying thanks
02-06-2016, 12:43 AM
I found what I was looking for thank you rocket.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
02-06-2016, 11:41 AM
(02-06-2016 12:33 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  There is not a single mention of J.C. If someone claims so, im sure he can point to the exact scroll (they are named and numbered each) and verse.

Isaiah 53!!!!!! ***drops mic and runs***

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
(02-06-2016 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 12:33 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  There is not a single mention of J.C. If someone claims so, im sure he can point to the exact scroll (they are named and numbered each) and verse.

Isaiah 53!!!!!! ***drops mic and runs***

*pics up mic*
How can a scroll written 200BCE be a "contemporary" account of J.C.?
*throws mic in OCs general direction*

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
02-06-2016, 04:23 PM
(02-06-2016 12:00 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Isaiah 53!!!!!! ***drops mic and runs***

*pics up mic*

This is why I love this place! Lol
02-06-2016, 05:43 PM
(02-06-2016 12:00 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Isaiah 53!!!!!! ***drops mic and runs***

*pics up mic*

***picks up mic and places theist hat on that looks eeriliy similar to a dunce/wizard cap***

The DSS contain the prophecies of the OT and these predict with incredible accuracy Jesus. Like being born of a woman, and a Jew....... and ..... ummmmm.... riding on donkeys....... and miracle worker...... And all scholars agree that these predictions came true. Scholars like McGrath, Craig, McDowell, Turek ..... etc. They have PhD's, are you saying you know more than they do? And look at the trees!!!

****slowly places mic down and, feeling really silly, takes theist hat back off****

All joking aside, my brother-in-law said exactly that to me last thanksgiving. So sad.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-06-2016, 05:56 PM
(02-06-2016 05:43 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 12:00 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  *pics up mic*

***picks up mic and places theist hat on that looks eeriliy similar to a dunce/wizard cap***

The DSS contain the prophecies of the OT and these predict with incredible accuracy Jesus. Like being born of a woman, and a Jew....... and ..... ummmmm.... riding on donkeys....... and miracle worker...... And all scholars agree that these predictions came true. Scholars like McGrath, Craig, McDowell, Turek ..... etc. They have PhD's, are you saying you know more than they do? And look at the trees!!!

****slowly places mic down and, feeling really silly, takes theist hat back off****

All joking aside, my brother-in-law said exactly that to me last thanksgiving. So sad.

Always good for a laugh....like all ancient prophecies, you write them after the fact....or in the case of the NT, you write the stories to align with the messiah myth...."omg....jesus was foretold in the OT!"

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post