quick question about translation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: quick question about translation
(08-04-2016 11:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  I know my religion very well. Ask me ANY question about it I will give you ANY(Big Grin) answer

[Image: are-you-serious-wtf-meme-baby-face.jpg]

I sure you'd give me ANY answer Alla. What I'm looking for is the correct one.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
09-04-2016, 05:22 PM
(07-04-2016 05:21 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-04-2016 04:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I would like to make just one small correction. The Old Testament was translated into Greek not by Christians, but by Jews, several hundred years before there were any Christians. Early Christians, many of whom were Greek-speaking, preferred this translation to the original Hebrew, but they're not the ones who did the translation.

Yeah, but those translations are lost, and they only ever included the first five books anyway. It makes perfect sense that the later translations could have come from Jews, but the translation errors that exist in today's Septuagint suggest that those Jews were either really uneducated, or that it was really Christians who translated it.

Nooooooo, it was de debbil. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-04-2016, 09:26 AM
(09-04-2016 07:29 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(07-04-2016 03:09 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  The OT was originally written in Hebrew. The Greeks didn't give a damn about it. It was translated into Greek by the Xtians. It was likely written in a few different flavours of Hebrew, funny how dialects change over a few hundred years, which is why certain names change in mid-sentence and why it's such a gripping read.

The NT that we've come to know and love was written first in Greek. That's how they got Jesus name wrong. Other non-canonical books were written in bunch of different languages (Hebrew, Egyptian, etc.). All of it was translated through "Church Latin" to a variety of different types of English at different times (and other languages).

But there aren't any mistranslations! Perish the thought.
Nope, no mistranslations at all. Job had boils in English and he had mange in Spanish. Mange as in when a dog's hair falls out! But God protects his word from mistramslations. Have you ever read about Moses with Horns? A very interesting story. I may have it a bit wrong, because my Spanish at that time was not 100 per cent, still isn't, maybe 80 per cent. But in Central America's Guatemala they have statues of various saints including Moses. And Mo has a pair of horns growing out of his head. It seems that at one point in Latin the word for horns was one letter off from tablets, so some copier elbowed his friend at the next table and said "Watch this!" and wrote it as Moses came down from the mountain after visiting with God himself and Mo had two horns of stone. It took 200 years for that tradition to be removed locally form Church doctrine! Look it up on Google!

You mean, like this one by Michelangelo ?????? LOL!

[Image: moses1.jpg]

This is in a church in Italy. I can't remember which church though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-04-2016, 09:32 AM
(11-04-2016 09:26 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 07:29 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Nope, no mistranslations at all. Job had boils in English and he had mange in Spanish. Mange as in when a dog's hair falls out! But God protects his word from mistramslations. Have you ever read about Moses with Horns? A very interesting story. I may have it a bit wrong, because my Spanish at that time was not 100 per cent, still isn't, maybe 80 per cent. But in Central America's Guatemala they have statues of various saints including Moses. And Mo has a pair of horns growing out of his head. It seems that at one point in Latin the word for horns was one letter off from tablets, so some copier elbowed his friend at the next table and said "Watch this!" and wrote it as Moses came down from the mountain after visiting with God himself and Mo had two horns of stone. It took 200 years for that tradition to be removed locally form Church doctrine! Look it up on Google!

You mean, like this one by Michelangelo ?????? LOL!

[Image: moses1.jpg]

This is in a church in Italy. I can't remember which church though.

Yup! We're all very horny. Especially Moses.
11-04-2016, 09:37 AM
(09-04-2016 10:24 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 07:29 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Nope, no mistranslations at all. Job had boils in English and he had mange in Spanish. Mange as in when a dog's hair falls out! But God protects his word from mistramslations. Have you ever read about Moses with Horns? A very interesting story. I may have it a bit wrong, because my Spanish at that time was not 100 per cent, still isn't, maybe 80 per cent. But in Central America's Guatemala they have statues of various saints including Moses. And Mo has a pair of horns growing out of his head. It seems that at one point in Latin the word for horns was one letter off from tablets, so some copier elbowed his friend at the next table and said "Watch this!" and wrote it as Moses came down from the mountain after visiting with God himself and Mo had two horns of stone. It took 200 years for that tradition to be removed locally form Church doctrine! Look it up on Google!

No joke: when my mother went to college, her college roommate was surprised to learn that my mother was a Jew. She asked in all seriousness (and I am not making this up) "How can you be Jewish? You don't have any horns."

Sigh, that's just pathetic, Aliza. Ignorance breeds bigotry.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-04-2016, 10:22 AM
quick question about translation
Alla, no offense, but when I ask you a serious question, you've only given me part of an answer and then said I don't want to know. I don't ask questions when I don't want to know. I taught college. I know what a question is. You and Q ignore my questions, and it's frustrating. That's why I don't even bother anymore.