rasiom against southerners{yes I am going there}

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
rasiom against southerners{yes I am going there}
basically the thing that ticks me off the most is how people that are the least bigoted get away with slandering you pn the web if you declare your frm the south in anyway when it comes to a conversation on race. to make a long story short. I was on the tyt channel of youtube and I've been getting tired of them saying that the south is racist. the thing is... I made a coment that says hay. we are not all racist. in fact i live in the south and I have never seen one. then this person comes yup behind me and agrees with me but in a way that is sarcastic.{so that you know he was disagreeing with me.} something about not consciously acknowledging racist dog whistles. I shouldn't have answered but apparently I felt masochistic .lately. the thing is that is not the only southerner stereo type that will not go away. for one i have ply known one red neck. no we don't talk in that stereotypical southern accent any more. in fact If I ask people where i am from they say "I must be a new yorker." what do you guys think. do people stereo type southerners to much.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
RE: rasiom against southerners{yes I am going there}
do you live in a decently sized urban area? or are you on the far outskirts of a major city?

I just saw an article on CNN? today that studied racial words in tweets. I'll see if I can find it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
No... not too much. Dodgy

It's possible some people think that if they negatively stereotype a supposed group, then that group will be somehow shamed into changing it's shitty, stereotypical ways.

However, what those people don't get is that by stereotyping a supposed group, they are actually stereotyping themselves - they are generalizing about people they don't actually know.

It kind of advertises who is judging whom. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I live in the bondocks...

01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I do agree we have the most rasisom but it's a little it's like complaining about a super minority.{in other words really really old people.] no I am not stereo typing. it is the older generation that is showing up ion that map.

01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
(01-06-2013 07:16 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I do agree we have the most rasisom but it's a little it's like complaining about a super minority.{in other words really really old people.] no I am not stereo typing. it is the older generation that is showing up ion that map.

It was from Twitter users- which I'm guessing is age 40 and under....mostly way under. It might say in the study details.

01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
do me a favor... zoom in on the map.. you'd realize it's not a solid color as you think.. it's just pockets.

01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
from the makers of the map

"The Geography of Hate is part of a larger project by Dr. Monica Stephens of Humboldt State University (HSU) identifying the geographic origins of online hate speech. Undergraduate students Amelia Egle, Matthew Eiben and Miles Ross, worked to produce the data and this map as part of Dr. Stephens' Advanced Cartography course at Humboldt State University.

The data behind this map is based on every geocoded tweet in the United States from June 2012 - April 2013 containing one of the 'hate words'. This equated to over 150,000 tweets and was drawn from the DOLLY project based at the University of Kentucky. Because algorithmic sentiment analysis would automatically classify any tweet containing 'hate words' as "negative," this project relied upon the HSU students to read the entirety of tweet and classify it as positive, neutral or negative based on a predefined rubric. Only those tweets that were identified by human readers as negative were used in this analysis."

01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
There's definitely more racism down south, but you're right. It's mostly the old that harbor the worst of it.