reading habits vs viewing habits

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2013, 06:15 PM
reading habits vs viewing habits
basically I had some self reflection one day. I noticed that my reading habits where different from my viewing and gaming habits. for one i tended to read as much shonen{guys} as I did shoujo{girls} style manga but when it ones to my viewing habits i tend to watch more action oriented programming. not that i don't watch the shows that where more romantic but I seem to skew more towards action when d. but when i am choosing media I tend to start splinting hairs. to far one way and I will be ok but to far the other.{for example to much story} and I tend to to just not play the game. there are other variables. like the ratios of stuff I like in each.

for example
my perfect anime
30%=drama
30%action
10%=lony tunes
20%=fan service
20%== romantic sub pllot
and yes i know thatas 110% but i haven'ty worked out the details

where as mey favortite bookl/ manga
50%=drama
20=action
10=fan service
25%=romantic sub plot

and so with this note I was wondering if this trend was a constant one or is each person more unique like a snow flake. so what i want you to do is use the percentage system I put together and tell what the percents are in each of these categories. gami, tv, and reading. for example.

the best video game ever
45%=action
15%=fan service
15%=romantic sub plot
10%=romantic sub plot
35%= interpersonal drama between characters.

p.s. you don't have to use the percents i used. heck if you like 5% usage of pie that would be fine with me.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
RE: reading habits vs viewing habits
Ive never really thought much about it. I suppose my reading habits do somewhat align with my viewing stuff...

The only really odd thing I do enjoy are really terrible disaster films -- but not all the time, just when I'm in the mood for numb entertainment.

I don't play video games.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I like mecha everything. However I like a lot of comedic anime as well (Lucky star, full metal panic) because they make me laugh. As for video games, it's not so much the story as the gameplay and difficulty. I can't stand playing easy games even if they have a great story (final fantasy I'm looking at you). Stick giant robots in something though and I'm your man.

-------edit
forgot about books. I mainly reas old high fantasy (~medival with magic and stuff).

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
03-01-2013, 12:01 PM
I have preferences of genre of books, mainly horror. However one of my "curses" is that if I dont like a book within the first few pages I wont read it.

I couldnt give any percentages because my "curse" can also work the other way and I have read some books within genres I normally tend to skip.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Books are my intellectual pleasure, thus, I wouldn't read just about anything. The days of pulp fiction and thrillers are gone (and even back then I would only read them from time to time). To this day I love good children's books (like Astrid Lindgren Heart )

Watching? I kinda prefer TV series to movies, as there is more time for things to develop at a more natural pace, while in movies, because of their time limitations, everything tends to be exaggerated and larger than life. Which is good on occasion, but not every day.

As for series, I don't have much of a preference. As long as my comedies rely on intelligent humour and not on slapstick, I'm fine. As for the drama - it's all about the characters, the writing and the consistency. Subgenres don't matter much (though due to obvious reasons, I tend to stay away from vampire crap, be it diaries, journals, or scrapbooks). Oh yeah - procedurals have been done to death. Absolutely no patience for and interest in them anymore.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
When I read, it's either to admire the literary artistry of a beloved fiction writer, or to delve into the world of intellect through informational input and knowledge expansion.

When I view, it's to delve into a world that is entirely of the imagination. I enjoy being a 3rd party viewer to a life and atmosphere which differs from the every-day. For example, I've watched all episodes of Dexter that are currently available, and yet just a week or so ago, I started the series all over again from the begining - simply because I enjoy watching it play out. Same with movies; with the added fact that as an aspiring director, I admire cinema in the same way I admire the works of my favorite fiction writers.

In either case, however, I do prefer dark and profound things. So, my reading and viewing habits tend to keep with those general themes.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2013, 07:51 PM
that sounds like my theories a bit off but oh well it can use some work.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
08-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Books I tend to stick to fantasy. I tend to use books as an escape.

Television I tend to watch all kinds of programs. Documentaries, sitcoms, dramas, etc. ( I am quite fond of TedTalks)

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Madatory spiritual reading .. for um .. your spirit Bucky Ball 0 337 06-04-2012 04:05 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball