reasoned suicide?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 09:30 AM
reasoned suicide?
Wasn't sure where to put this, seemed to fit here as well as anywhere.

Just an interesting perspective on perhaps the heaviest of decisions one could make. Food for thought....

http://www.zeroshare.info/

(hope this link works, let me know if it doesn't)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 11:23 AM
RE: reasoned suicide?
I read all the parts about suicide and none of the ones about his life.

While I don't see things his way in many ways, I do agree with him on the basics - I, too, will exit life when I decide to do so, I will not wait until I am a blithering, drooling idiot.

Only he could know when the right time for him was, to me he was too young. But that's me. He did mention at some point that he thought his mind was slipping - that's a pretty good reason IMO.

What I share with him is the desire to avoid being totally dependent on others - especially people you do not get to pick but some random employees at some old folks home. That sounds like a horror story to me - given that I am most of all an independent and freedom oriented person.

He planned this for years, it is most certainly not an irrational, emotional decision. Emotions come and go, it is silly to end it on that basis.

However, staying in control of one's life is something I totally understand and share.

He said something else I found interesting - how you contribute to society for most of your life, but once the physical decline starts progressing quickly, you take only. This made sense in the scope of things when children would take care of their aged parents. Then it was a natural give and take. The generations would switch being care givers. I take care of you when you are too young to do it yourself, you take care of me when I am too old. You take care of your offspring when they are too young, they take care of you when you are too old. That was the pattern for eons. It has ceased to exist. Now, when you are too old to take care of yourself, total strangers with only the time they are paid for and only the resources allocated to them take care of you. They have no vested interest in your well being, no personal involvement or the stress of watching friend after friend die would be too great for them. And the stories of elder abuse are endless.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a planned, rational exit, and the stigma society attaches to it is irrational.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-08-2013, 11:40 AM
(17-08-2013 11:23 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a planned, rational exit,

Ditto.

When I do it, I will just do it. I can't quite understand why the author thought anyone else would be interested in his writing.

Ain't gonna be no suicide note from me.

17-08-2013, 11:50 AM
(17-08-2013 11:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Ditto.

When I do it, I will just do it. I can't quite understand why the author thought anyone else would be interested in his writing.

Well, he was a writer. So it was natural to him.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-08-2013, 11:54 AM
(17-08-2013 11:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Ditto.

I will leave a letter to dispel any survivor guilt.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-08-2013, 12:25 PM
(17-08-2013 11:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 11:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ditto.

I will leave a letter to dispel any survivor guilt.

I'll likely leave a set of instructions - contact so and so, cremation prepaid at xxx, and such.

[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
17-08-2013, 12:40 PM
(17-08-2013 12:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 11:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  I will leave a letter to dispel any survivor guilt.

I'll likely leave a set of instructions - contact so and so, cremation prepaid at xxx, and such.

Same.

17-08-2013, 12:45 PM
(17-08-2013 12:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 11:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  I will leave a letter to dispel any survivor guilt.

I would do the same.

17-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Everyone should be able to choose how thier life will end.

Having said that, if we were to apply his reasoning to our lives I would off myself today, and so would billions of others. He's got a very low threshold for pain and suffering, which would not serve him well if there is an afterlife is his beliefs suggest, he hopes that god will forgive him. What if he doesn't?

Speaking of which, if and when any of us decide to end our life I would hope that you base your decision on the most solid reasoning, did his belief in an afterlife (something which is most likely not true) help sway his decision too much?

I want to live as long as possible, I don't want to stop existing. It's going to take a lot to make me change my mind.

Besides I spend most of my Saturday nights as a drooling idiot, I'm used to it! Drooling

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
17-08-2013, 02:04 PM
(17-08-2013 01:16 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Everyone should be able to choose how thier life will end.

Damn right! It's one of the few real freedoms left. And if society had it's way, you'd be locked up to prevent you from exiting. That's sure going to guarantee a love of life!

Everyone's threshold is going to be different, and everyone has the right to decide for themselves.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post