religion and mental illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 07:42 PM
I did wonder if the people who invented religion was really schizophrenic? I mean what if "we" worship something made up in mentally ill people? Makes sense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2015, 07:45 PM
What if religion is made up from schizophreniC people. I mean we have people today claiming god speaks to them and most are mentally ill
13-04-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: religion and mental illness
Sociopathic/Psychopathic make sense too.
13-04-2015, 08:18 PM
I often thought that, but then no. Gods likely were invented for the unknown, so not psychotic, just ignorant. Then the telephone game takes over and things get blown out of proportion through the centuries.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Paul the apostle saw a bright light and thought it was gawd. I think he had a seizure or a tumor.

This might not be a mental illness but it amazing how something like that resulted in all the garbage we know as the New Testament.

I'm sure others were indeed schizophrenic. The voices in their head proved that the fuckers were nuts.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
13-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Yes. Totally.

Yes. Totally.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
13-04-2015, 10:08 PM
*looks at thread....sees KC's reply and laughs*

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-04-2015, 12:05 AM
A lot of the traits praised by theists are exactly like symptoms of real mental illness and delusion. This is a big problem when someone is genuinely mentally ill and needs help. In England someone like this would stand out, but in America not so much I think.

I don't think all religious types are actually mentally ill, but some have achieved a certain level of self delusion and have blurred the line between reality and fantasy. But I don't actually believe most of what they say; people can profess their beliefs but their actions tell you what they really think. Theists live like atheists most of the time. If they didn't, they'd be dead or in jail pretty quickly.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
14-04-2015, 05:14 AM
I wondered if it went something like this...

Day 1 "Ow! Ow, stop hitting me with that rock! Ow, just stop it!"

Day 2 "Look for fuck's sake, can we all just stop... ow ow ow!"

Day 3 "This is stupid! We're getting nowhere. I'm in charge now. Stop hitting people with rocks. Ow, ow ow!"

Day 4" Erm, there's a magic man in the sky! And he's going to do stuff to you if you don't listen to me! Yeah... yeah, now you're listening. OK. Maybe we can built something with these rocks instead of caving each other's head in."

And so civilization began.

Day 423,647,194 "Hey... you know, this isn't real is it... this man in the sky business? I mean, we're all civilized now. That was just to get us under control, right? What? You still think it's real. Okay. Never mind."

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
14-04-2015, 05:41 AM
All of us are susceptible to accepting bad justifications for unknown events. That's what it forms from.

We aren't all schizophrenic, but perhaps...

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson