religion and mental illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 05:53 AM
RE: religion and mental illness
Put it this way....

If religion never happened -- and some guy tried instituting it today --- they'd lock the whackadoodle up, and toss the key...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-04-2015, 06:35 AM
I believe that most theists are not mentally ill, but Robvalue hit the nail on the head about when they intersect.

It was one thing that used to trouble me when I was still a believer. I'd hear stories from others who saw angels or demons or who talked to God. Every time I was super skeptical, and yet it made me wonder. They claimed to see things that I believed in, yet I didn't think they should be seeing them. I sort of decided "that's not how it works", which matched my experiences of not seeing those things, but it always made me wonder. How do I know if they're right or not?

So, yeah. If you see the "right" things, it's encouraged and not diagnosed. If you see the "wrong" things, you get an exorcism instead of anti-psychotics and it's not diagnosed.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
14-04-2015, 08:51 AM
As KUSA put stated, Paul is certainly a candidate for mental illness. Q: What do you call it when you see something that other people with you don't? A: A hallucination. Paul certainly had hallucinations that nobody else saw. He was either tripping on some mighty fine psychoactive substance or he was schizophrenic.
14-04-2015, 08:54 AM
"God just said I'm in charge!"

"When?"

"While I was wandering dehydrated through the desert."

"OK sounds legit."

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
14-04-2015, 10:27 AM
(14-04-2015 06:35 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I believe that most theists are not mentally ill, but Robvalue hit the nail on the head about when they intersect.

It was one thing that used to trouble me when I was still a believer. I'd hear stories from others who saw angels or demons or who talked to God. Every time I was super skeptical, and yet it made me wonder. They claimed to see things that I believed in, yet I didn't think they should be seeing them. I sort of decided "that's not how it works", which matched my experiences of not seeing those things, but it always made me wonder. How do I know if they're right or not?

So, yeah. If you see the "right" things, it's encouraged and not diagnosed. If you see the "wrong" things, you get an exorcism instead of anti-psychotics and it's not diagnosed.

Those people that saw things when I was a believer were invited to our church to speak with authority about their experience. One fraud after another went through the revolving doors, and there was no way to distinguish between the insane, hallucinating, or fraudulent that went through those doors. There was ABSOLUTELY no way to distinguish between them!
Oh they would talk about "discernment of the spirit", but they believed and gave money to one fraud after another.
This insane circus-like environment was one of the things that made me back away from the asylum and eventually leave it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
14-04-2015, 10:38 AM
(14-04-2015 05:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Put it this way....

If religion never happened -- and some guy tried instituting it today --- they'd lock the whackadoodle up, and toss the key...
Perhaps, but the fuckers keep getting away with modifying and inventing new ones all the time and the gullible keep on being gullible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_religious

The Blackburn Cult.
Concerned Christians.
Fire Baptized Holiness Church of God of the Americas.
Church of Jesus Christ at Armageddon.

Holy fuck!

Each one crazier than the next.

I've never really had a browse through the list of modern religions but this is a good start. There must be about 300 or so here, and they only differ by being at different points on the stupidity scale. Just a sample of the many thousands on offer that will quite nicely fill that dark corner of the human mind reserved for delusional myths.

Only room for one delusion per human though, so make sure you choose wisely - wouldn't want to get it wrong eh?

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 11:52 AM
I think Religions were created as a means of control by exploiting the unknown and the human thirst for understanding/explanation. IOW, I think the creators were probably not mentally ill. More cunning.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-04-2015, 11:54 AM
duplicate thread.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Threads merged. Please refrain from making the same thread in different areas. If you'd like to have a thread moved, just ask.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Sorry didn't mean too I will know how to do it next time