religion on vacation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2015, 03:21 PM
religion on vacation
As some know my mother in law took us to universal studios which is awesome. However this morning at breakfast she brought up religion and used pascels wager, she caught me off guard and I don't feel so good. I did point out it was a fallicy but didn't really want to get into a huge discussion in a hotel lobby with a bunch of other people. Ugh needed to vent as im in the hotel sick now!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: religion on vacation
That's nasty. Hug

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2015, 03:23 PM
(19-09-2015 03:21 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  As some know my mother in law took us to universal studios which is awesome. However this morning at breakfast she brought up religion and used pascels wager, she caught me off guard and I don't feel so good. I did point out it was a fallicy but didn't really want to get into a huge discussion in a hotel lobby with a bunch of other people. Ugh needed to vent as im in the hotel sick now!

Meh turn the tables on her. What if SHE's wrong?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
19-09-2015, 03:27 PM
(19-09-2015 03:23 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-09-2015 03:21 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  As some know my mother in law took us to universal studios which is awesome. However this morning at breakfast she brought up religion and used pascels wager, she caught me off guard and I don't feel so good. I did point out it was a fallicy but didn't really want to get into a huge discussion in a hotel lobby with a bunch of other people. Ugh needed to vent as im in the hotel sick now!
Yea im going to research it more and send her some links once I feel better. I got on a harry potter ride and tats all she wrote for me. I thought I just got motion sick but im still not feeling good. My head is killing me!

Meh turn the tables on her. What if SHE's wrong?
19-09-2015, 03:36 PM
If "maybe" religion will make your life better - and not worse --- why not go for skull trepanation? It may not make your life better -- but then it just might.......

And think how handy that hole in your head could be if you're stuck somewhere without an ashtray??????

I say go for it Mom.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah. Family if funny like that.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
19-09-2015, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2015 04:49 PM by cactus.)
My dad did this to me once, but it wasn't directed toward me. We were walking past a hellfire and brimstone street preacher, and my dad told me "Why would anyone not want to believe in a god? What a sad way to live..." I just responded by repeating his question back to him: "You're asking why someone would choose to not be convinced of a claim that requires faith in order to believe?" He just said, "Yeah. People just need to try harder to put their trust in God. People act like it's some arduous task that requires a huge commitment, when really, putting your trust in a god whose love is infinite is pretty much the easiest thing in the world to do!!!" Then he started nervously laughing.

I wanted to say something along the lines of "Oh believe me, pretending to believe something you don't actually believe would be quite a tremendous commitment to fraudulence and self-deception." However, I'm sure he wouldn't have appreciated or understood that, since the meaning of my rewording to his original question was already completely lost on him; so I didn't even bother Rolleyes

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-09-2015, 05:55 PM
(19-09-2015 03:21 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  ... this morning at breakfast she brought up religion and used pascels wager, she caught me off guard and I don't feel so good. I did point out it was a fallicy but didn't really want to get into a huge discussion
Intellect is what separates us from the so-called "lower orders." If humanity really is the special product of a creator god, then our intellect is his special gift to us. To not use it to the best of our ability would be to refuse that gift and thereby insult the giver. It therefore seems appropriate to ask whether, if using our intellect to the best of our ability results in an honest error, that merits divine punishment? At the very least it strikes me that an honestly-held disbelief would be more-favorably received by a creator god than would a more-cynical "faith" professed for the sake of playing it safe or hedging a bet (Pascal's Wager).
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
19-09-2015, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2015 11:24 PM by Reltzik.)
What if Islam is wrong (EDIT: Right. Oops. Blush )? What happens to her then?

What if God's actually deciding who goes to Heaven or Hell based on ability to come to reasonable conclusions based on evidence and to implement a morality not based on threats, and faith is a sure ticket to hell?

What if there is no God, and the key to heaven is actually improving conditions in our world to a paradisaical state, and all the money going to religion to convert more people, deny science, reject medicine, promote superstition, and undermine personal liberties is instead keeping us in a hellish state? (Granted not all denominations are like that, but most of them that don't do this WILL defend the space in which others do.)

(19-09-2015 03:27 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Yea im going to research it more and send her some links once I feel better. I got on a harry potter ride and tats all she wrote for me. I thought I just got motion sick but im still not feeling good. My head is killing me!

GOD IS JUDGING YOU!!!11!1!

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail