religion to science or science to region?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 12:07 PM
religion to science or science to region?
I'm interested to know how much science, philosophy and academic disciplines played a part in people coming to their respective conclusions about belief/non belief.

For me it was theological issues. Not just the glaring contradictions within any given religion but the similarities of all of them and the negative common threads that are prevalent. Things like misogyny, racism etc: and basically the overall hypocrisy of it all. I fully accept the point that dismissing man made religious systems is one thing and some would argue that God still exists regardless but even outside of a religious belief system it doesn't stack up for me.

So in the last couple of years I've had a growing interest in science, philosophy other disciplines which shed light on my position. I had no interest in any of these subjects in my youth and was in fact bored out of my mind in science classes etc. So I came to an interest via atheism.

So in short, suppose I'm asking people if they came to an appreciation of science and philosophy through a search for religious answers or if you were already a sciency, philosophical natured person and your belief/non belief was a bi-product of that?

If I'd made the link between science and R.E in school, I'd probably have been infinitely more interested in both!

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: religion to science or science to region?
My experience was pretty much as you describe yours. I had no interest in science in school aside from biology because I've always been a lover of nature. I never put much thought into religion aside from knowing I didn't believe in the Christian god. When I became more interested in religion and atheism, my love of science followed.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
21-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I was never a believer and always interested in science and explanations.

Supernatural explanations were never satisfactory.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2013, 01:59 AM
(21-11-2013 12:16 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  My experience was pretty much as you describe yours. I had no interest in science in school aside from biology because I've always been a lover of nature. I never put much thought into religion aside from knowing I didn't believe in the Christian god. When I became more interested in religion and atheism, my love of science followed.

I'm coming across this a lot. I can't get over how dull science is in schools. I think now, it takes serious effort to suck out all of the fascination from such a subject yet the school system has succeeded in doing exactly that!

[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
23-11-2013, 02:09 AM
(21-11-2013 01:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  I was never a believer and always interested in science and explanations.

Supernatural explanations were never satisfactory.

I can understand this. As a child though, to be completely honest. I never found supernatural explanations to be satisfactory either but I really wanted them to be. I can still remember wishing that we were something more. I see a lot of validation (anecdotal and from within myself), in the assertion that some experts make that as a species, we are predisposed to religion. I'm just glad I saw my own line of enquiry through.

I do think that some are initially predisposed to wish thinking (me in my youth) and some are not, like your good self by the sounds of it. I'd be interested to see if any legitimate research has been done on this.

23-11-2013, 04:57 AM
Ever since I heard of math and physics, I was all up in that stuff. Biology, however, I found to be boring until after I became all flaming atheist and shit.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2013, 05:23 AM
A Passion for science drove my faith/belief away, I couldn't logically reconcile what I was told to believe verses what I was discovering.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-11-2013, 05:47 AM
I've always been fascinated with science and became a skeptic of religion at an early age. I was an atheist through my teens. I became enamored with Buddhism in my early twenties, but, still did not believe in a "creator". It gave me a strong lense with which to examine my thoughts and motivations and I still find many things philosophically useful. However, desiring to become more serious about my faith, I began reading deeper. I came across a passage about a forest of " wish granting trees". I instantly realized that Buddhism is just as dogmatic as any other religion. Shortly after that I discovered Hitchens then Harris and Dawkins. My love of science is stronger than ever and I am now a strong agnostic atheist.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
23-11-2013, 03:53 PM
(23-11-2013 04:57 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ever since I heard of math and physics, I was all up in that stuff. Biology, however, I found to be boring until after I became all flaming atheist and shit.

Keep on flaming mate Big Grin

23-11-2013, 04:02 PM
(23-11-2013 05:23 AM)sporehux Wrote:  A Passion for science drove my faith/belief away, I couldn't logically reconcile what I was told to believe verses what I was discovering.

I think a lot of people could bypass this process if science education was more engaging. It's cool that you acknowledged the facts. I've met and spoken to a lot of people who in your shoes would have rejected information to stay in there comfort zone!