religion to science or science to region?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 07:54 AM
RE: religion to science or science to region?
(23-11-2013 05:56 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I've always loved science from a young age, especially biology. I went through that transition-y phase where I kept telling myself that science and religion went hand-in-hand, but it's gotten to the point where I can't kid myself any longer.
This sounds like me. The transition-phase for me went from age 4 to age 13, then I had a new agey period between 13 and 15, and now I am Atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
wow crazy
13-05-2014, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 07:57 AM by wazzel.)
I had always been interested in science. My very religious parents encouraged us to learn about things. My mom was really big on having us watch the science shows that came on TV (pre-cable and satalite). Her favorite was a series called "The Body Human". While I was a believer I was never conflicted with the science vs religion debate. In my mind there were and still are two different areas of study that are only loosely connected. My big interest was in the physical sciences, why things work and break. I was the "what does that do?", "how does that work?"... etc kid. Lucky my dad was mechanically inclined and I got lots of hands on lessons. He would even take stuff apart with me to show me how it worked.

I also enjoyed philosophy since a young age. That was also encouraged by my parents. It was a low level encouragement and education, but the did teach us to think critically and not to follow the sheeple. My mom never ever wanted to hear "everyone else is doing it" as a reason.

My deconversion was not related to my apprecition of science or philosophy
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
14-05-2014, 04:11 PM
I believed as a child until i was about 11-13.. only because it was the normal thing and i wasn't taught any different. I always questioned though.. and doubted my whole life. What actually made me realize it was all a lie? I actually read the bible. I can't understand how anyone who actually reads that pile of rubbish can believe let alone live their life by anything it says. After i stopped believing my love for science grew and have been a science lover ever since.. Im actually a little obsessed with it. The way i see it i only have a limited time here.. i want to know all there is to know before i fade away.

β€œIs God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
― Epicurus
[+] 2 users Like Mr Brightside's post
17-05-2014, 04:07 AM
I never really actually believed much of it as a child. I never grew up in a spiritual home and the subject was never even really brought up much at all. During thanksgiving we never said grace or anything, we just dug in. I distinctly remembering the story of noah sounding like a bunch of hooplah. I think it was that and discovering Santa was not real and coming to the conclusion early in life that Magic did not actually exist anywhere for any reason because it just contrary to reality.

That around the age of about 13 or so. (this was 16 years ago now and I am 29 now) I think I was lying in bed and I just started thinking about all of this for the first time and it just hit me after only a few seconds.....god doesn't exist. There is no such thing, how could there be? It makes so much more logical sense that we are here by chance then it is that we are some by product of a intelligent beings imagination that to think that we are is utterly ridiculous.

So for me, it was sort of religion to science. I went to church a few times as a child. I was taken off school grounds on put onto this church bus once I think when I was in about 3rd grade I think. I remember that being really fun and I was super excited. This was mostly due to the fact that we didn't have to do writing workshop (spelling practice) while we were there and learning some really cool fun stuff while we were there...like..omg learn about god and the universe...cool...no math either?! WOW no math....lol

I remember going to another church like once or twice and I think I remember them asking us kids some kind of questions and they gave out candy to kids who answered them correctly. I got a candy bracelet thing I remember. I remember going to this sunday school one other time and they were telling us something about comparing humans and sin or something like that to grapes and vines. They were saying something about we were the vine and our grapes are our sins and god is the dirt holding us or something. I remember saying something like aww but I wanted to be a grape because I was a little kid and I liked grapes so I wanted to be a grape cuz they are really tasty and I loved eating them.

But I digress, I never really believed fully that there was some creature named god and I am glade my parents never brainwashed my with those lies.
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post