religious family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 05:28 AM
religious family
Hey, I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place to post this. I feel kind of alone in my family because veryone thinks I'm crazy.

I'm raised in Belgium, but my family has Turkish origin. I'm raised very religious. I've been to islam and Koran lessons since I was 7 years old. My parents have always taught me that I must not take an example of my Belgian friends. My dad has always been strict etc.

But I have always had doubts about my faith even when I was going to those religous classes, where they were trying to brainwash me. I have never been 100 percent sure of islam. I just hate it because they ( my family and turkish friends) really consider islam as a fact. I mean, how can you be sure if you don't have scientific proof.

I lately told my parents that I don't believe anymore in the Koran as the word of God. They were really disappointed and didn't want to listen to me. They think that the devil has deceived me or something like that. I mean, I've read the koran and the hadiths ( my parents have never done that, they just rely on what other people say.) And I'm like so sure that it can't be the word of God. There is so much violence in it. Even the bible is more friendly. I like Jesus more than my own prophet Mohammed.
I can't tell my grandparents that I don't believe anymore or older Turkish people. Because then I would disgrace my family.
I just understand why you can't argue with muslims. And it is frustrating...

I really need reassurance that I am on the right path...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 06:11 AM
RE: religious family
First things first: The official moderation approved greeting Wink

Hi and welcome to TTA
Have an insightful stay

There

Good thing that you are personally able to make your own choices.
I can understand your parents are disappointed though. It can be a bitch committing up for your own philosophy (because that's what it is). I can recommend you not to start a fight over it until you found your own position to defend. Our forum here is a good place to ask the questions or to raise the problems you are confronted with.

Becoming a well informed atheist is obviously a process of learning.

Also, you are not the only ex-muslim here. I'll guess you'll meet them soon. (Also, you are not the only one with the Belgian nationality here. We are an international bunch. Thumbsup )

Btw, I moved your post to the "Introductions" section.
Observer: Tot uw dienst.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Welcome.

I assume yous till live with your parents?
I'll give you some real advice. Lie. "Yes mum I still believe in Allah".
It's worst with Muslims because they're even more batshit crazy then Christians. I mean just the other day some Muslim father beat his child to death for being too 'western' (they lived in a western country..., Uk I believe).
Just stfu. Seriously, what do you gain from telling the truth? You're parents are disappointed, they'll force it heavily upon you no doubt and it will constantly come up and be just a general pain in your life. SO, stfu, LIE and keep on keeping on until you leave home then do whatever the fuck you want.
I mean it's not hurting anyone. If you leave home and continue to tell your parents you go to temple or whatever the fuck every sunday or whenever the fuck, it will keep them happy and it'll be one less thing they have to worry about.

What goes on in your head and what comes out of your mouth can very much be two different things. Trust me, I know a thing or two about keeping shit from people.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
09-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Welcome Smile

Hope you find some community here.
13-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Congratulations of finding out of religion on your own and knowing your position.
Welcome to the forum *giving a huge chocolate welcome cookie)

Just like earmuffs I would advice you to not talk about it too much. How old are you? As long as you are underage by Belgian law, you are dependent on your parents. So better keep them happy. Just don't talk about the topic if you can avoid it. Be quiet when you have nothing positive to say about their religion and especially to keep you out of danger. I have heard of too many honor killings....
Keep reading up everything and once you left the house you can properly come out. But until then you should probably just stay quiet about it. Use this forum as a vent, use skype if you want and let's have chats or talks on skype (look at the positive atheism section, there is a bunch of people skyping a lot, they are very welcoming), also we have a few more ex-muslims, try to contact them maybe, to get some good tips on how to be in this situation.

Again welcome Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Welcome, Muffs and Leela have some very good advice.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Well we are here for you if need us!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
14-08-2012, 08:14 AM
You're better off, if you want a better or at least a somewhat subtle understanding with your parents to know about what you don't believe in. In terms of the Koran one protest you could have is how it is restrictive to those who can read it without knowledge of the Arabic language, which you give much thanks to Mohammad. What very few Korans I have found that are in my own language were published through non-Arabic identities, and maybe close to a quarter of it was not even translated to retain some sort of ground with the Islamic faith, but in any case you should still learn about it if you want any even if a little understanding between yourself and your parents. My own family was the same way until I started exposing my intellect and proving it and they not dare touch the subject anymore, at least in such an authoritive manner. I've read enough of the Koran that was allowed to be translated to argue it, I refuse to learn a second language so I can read the rest.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]