religious forcing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2010, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2010 01:19 PM by shiranl.)
religious forcing?
Well, in Israel we have some religious laws or laws for religious people (I'm talking about Jewish laws, of course). All of them irritates me, of course. Some times its seems like theocracy.

But, today the Kneset (Israel's parliment) approved an order about non-kosher meat import taxes. Basicly it means people who want to import non kosher meat to Israel need to pay more. The law includes pig meat, dolphines, horses, whales, sea dogs, sea horses, bunnies, rubbits, snakes, tortoise and many more animals' meat.

Well, I want to be a vet in the future (I even know where I want to study....) and I love animals. When I hear about animals like dolphines and whales being killed for their meat its hurts my guts. This law, even if those who offered it wern't ment to do so, served my personal belief about saving the animals. The law wasn't legislated from the right reasons (surely not from the right people), but in some way or another it serves a good purpose and I fully support it.

My question is- were you support a religious law, which was legislated because the religion and for it, if it serves another belief you have or were you complitly against it because of the main purpose?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2010, 01:26 PM
RE: religious forcing?
My main issue with that would be that it sets the precedent for other religion-based laws. For that reason I wouldn't support the law.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't support it. The law has the right effect - protecting dolphins - but it does it for the wrong reasons. These people aren't trying to help the dolphins. They're simply forcing their religious beliefs on outsiders.
This law doesn't protect the dolphins directly, and it wasn't made to. It was simply made to discourage people from holding unorthodox religious views. It's oppression, and should be opposed. If you want to protect the dolphins, get a law passed on that basis - don't rely on religious oppression to do it for the wrong reasons.

"But are not the dreams of poets and the tales of travelers notoriously false?"
- H. P. Lovecraft, "The Street"
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2010, 02:10 PM

I concur with Ashley and Unbeliever.

Make the decision for the 'right' reason, not for the 'wrong' one.
Quote this message in a reply