religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent
FUMING!!! I just found out that my 10 year old child, who at a UK school (not a c of e school) has been made to pray once a week when being visited by a member of the church... who quite frankly have been feeding her with absolute nonsensical crap!

I want to compose a mature, reasonable letter to the head of school, basically saying that whilst I think all children should learn about religiion in the modern world because of its influence on science and reason and peace, NO CHILD SHOULD BE FORCED TO PRAY! This is a clear attempt at indoctination surely.

Anyone care to start drafting some stuff for me, i wish to remain polite but right now I'm seething so much I'm using too many expletives. HOW DARE THEY, without any consent to me, allow someone in from the church, give them access to my children to who'm I'm trying to enthuse about evolution and the the universe around us with a rational mind!

Some one give me some paragraphs please!

Regards
Paul
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes paulhe's post
08-01-2013, 04:14 PM
RE: religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent
I disagree with a completely calm and composed letter. What they are doing is outragous and you need to let them know that you are pissed *shrug*

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
RE: religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent
Maybe something along the lines of:
"I appreciate your enthusiasm in introducing the diversity of religion to children but please emphasise the need for the child to critically evaluate everything, and I mean everything the visitors say and do. Furthermore, I wish to inquire a valid reason as to why children are forced to partake in the religious rituals of other religions despite differences in faith. I believe that there should be freedom of choice as to whether a child should participate or not."

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
08-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Does the freedom from religion foundation have any roots in the UK? If they do I would contact them. That's the kind of crap that I'd not be writing a soft letter about, but doing something serious about.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Logish, if you want your children to grow up with religious babblings in the Uk you send them to a state funded "church of englad school" (C of E as we call it).

Thanks for your response robotworld, a lot more eliquent than the "you f**king ratarded f**k allowing paedos near my child and filling their heads with ******* co** wa**** ca* n**** philanthropy"!!!!! lol
08-01-2013, 04:39 PM
(08-01-2013 04:38 PM)paulhe Wrote:  Logish, if you want your children to grow up with religious babblings in the Uk you send them to a state funded "church of englad school" (C of E as we call it).

Thanks for your response robotworld, a lot more eliquent than the "you f**king ratarded f**k allowing paedos near my child and filling their heads with ******* co** wa**** ca* n**** philanthropy"!!!!! lol
LOL! Personally I'd love to read that letter Tongue

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-01-2013, 04:57 PM
(08-01-2013 04:09 PM)paulhe Wrote:  FUMING!!! I just found out that my 10 year old child, who at a UK school (not a c of e school) has been made to pray once a week when being visited by a member of the church... who quite frankly have been feeding her with absolute nonsensical crap!

I want to compose a mature, reasonable letter to the head of school, basically saying that whilst I think all children should learn about religiion in the modern world because of its influence on science and reason and peace, NO CHILD SHOULD BE FORCED TO PRAY! This is a clear attempt at indoctination surely.

Anyone care to start drafting some stuff for me, i wish to remain polite but right now I'm seething so much I'm using too many expletives. HOW DARE THEY, without any consent to me, allow someone in from the church, give them access to my children to who'm I'm trying to enthuse about evolution and the the universe around us with a rational mind!

Some one give me some paragraphs please!

Regards
Paul
That really stinks! If it was me, I wouldn't write a letter. I would go talk to someone (probably the principal) in person because I would want to see their reaction. If the reaction seemed genuinely understanding of the problem and willing to do something about it, I would try to work something out. But, if I got the slightest feeling that they didn't agree there was a real issue, I would find my child another school.

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
09-01-2013, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 01:34 PM by Reltzik.)
Is this illegal in the UK? Actionable? My understanding is that when it comes to polite letters with a punch, lawyers write darn good ones.

If you go with Robotworld's letter, add questions like when in the curriculum students will actually experience diversity by also studying Hindu, Muslim, or Shinto practices. (For extra fun, include Laveyan Satanism or Pastafarianism in the question.) Contact other parents and discuss the matter with them, see if you can't start building a petition. If you have the time and the fury, contact every level of the educational system simultaneously (from the teacher, to the principal, to the district level, to the national level, or however it's organized in your neck of the woods) spelling out the problem (name names!) and asking, as a concerned parent and citizen, for a clear enunciation of their policy regarding mandatory prayer in schools. Contacting a single official lets them just shuffle you off to the side, and contacting multiple officials in sequence gives potentially guilty parties warning to disaster-proof their positions.

If at all possible, make this a religion-vs-religion rather than religion-vs-atheism issue. (This is basic divide and conquer tactics.) What church is the priest with? Are they, say, CoE prayers, or Catholic prayers, or Methodist prayers? What do the Christian parents think about that PARTICULAR church mandating prayers for their children?

For extra fun, Google the priest and see if there are any inflammatory, controversial sermons he gave years ago, or an inexplicable transfer from a previous parish for reasons unknown. In the latter case, be worried and express your worry. Ask parents and school officials (NOT the priest or church) if they know how to ascertain that this transfer wasn't yet another instance of a sex-abuse coverup, how to legally force the church to provide an answer, and whether that answer can be trusted.

Bottom line: Seek allies (especially other parents and superiors in the education system's hierarchy), divide and conquer, and don't give the opposition a second to get organized and set from the moment you give them a hint that you're on the move.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Doc's operatic Sunday School (waiting for the fat angel...) docskeptic 1,036 110,370 19-08-2014 11:06 AM
Last Post: docskeptic
  A reason why people remain religious Mozart Link 98 1,258 18-08-2014 04:14 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  School teacher gets some justice. Shadow Fox 0 127 24-07-2014 07:32 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Videos Of Religious Ignorance? WiltedFigTree 10 194 12-07-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Educational, unbiased religious info smileXsmileXsmile 11 272 10-07-2014 12:43 AM
Last Post: Hamsaka
  My law school essay =jesse= 11 230 08-07-2014 03:02 AM
Last Post: Vosur
Video Religious Nut (doesn't trust sunglasses) Raptor Jesus 10 223 03-07-2014 07:55 AM
Last Post: natachan