religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 01:34 PM by Reltzik.)
RE: religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent
Is this illegal in the UK? Actionable? My understanding is that when it comes to polite letters with a punch, lawyers write darn good ones.

If you go with Robotworld's letter, add questions like when in the curriculum students will actually experience diversity by also studying Hindu, Muslim, or Shinto practices. (For extra fun, include Laveyan Satanism or Pastafarianism in the question.) Contact other parents and discuss the matter with them, see if you can't start building a petition. If you have the time and the fury, contact every level of the educational system simultaneously (from the teacher, to the principal, to the district level, to the national level, or however it's organized in your neck of the woods) spelling out the problem (name names!) and asking, as a concerned parent and citizen, for a clear enunciation of their policy regarding mandatory prayer in schools. Contacting a single official lets them just shuffle you off to the side, and contacting multiple officials in sequence gives potentially guilty parties warning to disaster-proof their positions.

If at all possible, make this a religion-vs-religion rather than religion-vs-atheism issue. (This is basic divide and conquer tactics.) What church is the priest with? Are they, say, CoE prayers, or Catholic prayers, or Methodist prayers? What do the Christian parents think about that PARTICULAR church mandating prayers for their children?

For extra fun, Google the priest and see if there are any inflammatory, controversial sermons he gave years ago, or an inexplicable transfer from a previous parish for reasons unknown. In the latter case, be worried and express your worry. Ask parents and school officials (NOT the priest or church) if they know how to ascertain that this transfer wasn't yet another instance of a sex-abuse coverup, how to legally force the church to provide an answer, and whether that answer can be trusted.

Bottom line: Seek allies (especially other parents and superiors in the education system's hierarchy), divide and conquer, and don't give the opposition a second to get organized and set from the moment you give them a hint that you're on the move.

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: religious visitors to a non c of e UK school... without consent to me, the parent - Reltzik - 09-01-2013 01:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Videos Of Religious Ignorance? WiltedFigTree 10 165 12-07-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Educational, unbiased religious info smileXsmileXsmile 11 227 10-07-2014 12:43 AM
Last Post: Hamsaka
  My law school essay =jesse= 11 204 08-07-2014 03:02 AM
Last Post: Vosur
Video Religious Nut (doesn't trust sunglasses) Raptor Jesus 10 193 03-07-2014 07:55 AM
Last Post: natachan
  Arguments to convince religious people Mozart Link 11 289 02-07-2014 02:22 AM
Last Post: JONES
  School Assignment on Diversity jaguar3030 6 129 01-07-2014 03:37 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  Celebrating Religious Based Holidays for celebratory not religious value worblewatch 15 200 28-06-2014 04:38 AM
Last Post: JONES