repeating words typed, is it a mental issue ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 11:04 PM
RE: repeating words typed, is it a mental issue ?
I have (i think i have) aspergers,so fuck off you schizo,i dont need more

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Not type C Asperger’s then

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-11-2013, 11:29 PM
I've been known to do it with whole sentences
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2013, 11:59 PM
I don't usually type the same words twice, but I do have other issues. Sometimes if I type while talking I'll accidentally type what I want to say and/or say what I meant to type. It can make conversations very confusing. I also have a bad habit of accidentally speaking Spanish to people who don't speak Spanish or English to people who don't speak English. I guess my weirdest issue is putting a when I mean I. I do this when typing and writing I can't figure out why. I think everyone is a little bit crazy, so don't feel bad. You're definitely not alone.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
11-11-2013, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 07:30 AM by Chippy.)
(10-11-2013 08:41 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Recently I have notice grammar checkers, marking repeated words for deletion.
I don't recall the "delete repeated word" option coming up more than once every six months before mid this year.

Now i'm seeing it fairly often, like like (that was intentional) three times a week.
Its disturbing because I have no conscious awareness of double typing words.

That is a common phenomenon and you can get a rough indication of its prevalence by searching for "and and" and "the the".

What you have described is believed to be due to two distinct but interacting phenomena: one cognitive and the other perceptual.

The first phenomenon is word-level processing. High-frequency words such as and, the, not are processed at above the letter-level[1], they are processed at the word-level and apparently up to an including the surrounding spaces[2][3]. With increasing age and reading competency the word-level processing extends to less frequent words[4]. Because your unit of processing is the word, occurrences such as "the the " are not processed letter-by-letter.

The second contributory phenomenon is termed repetition blindness (RB).[5]. The effect of RB is to cause the second exposure of a visual stimulus seen soon after the first to become invisible. In the context of reading, the saccadic eye movements effect these rapid successive exposures of the repeated word.

The combination of word-level processing and RB will produce the effect you are describing. These effects will occur regardless of whether you are reading or writing because you re-read when you write and any distraction will prompt you to re-read what you are writing. The faster you try to read and/or write the more likely this is to occur. This is more likely to occur with typing than handwriting because with typing the same word is graphically identical.

This is a normal phenomenon and is not indicative of schizophrenia.[6]

Quote:Tried to Google this issue, but am probably using incorrect search terms, can't find anything. I'm feeling a little insane. Confused

So you concede that unless you have some background knowledge on a topic no amount of Google searching is going to help?
11-11-2013, 04:02 AM
(11-11-2013 01:36 AM)Chippy Wrote:  This is a normal phenomenon and has no connection with schizophrenia.[?

This is probably the nicest thing I've read Chippy type.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-11-2013, 05:19 AM
(11-11-2013 04:02 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 01:36 AM)Chippy Wrote:  This is a normal phenomenon and has no connection with schizophrenia.[?

This is probably the nicest thing I've read Chippy type.

It isn't completely clear how the repetitions occur when we write but they almost always occur in relation to those high frequency words which we are able to type with little or no thought. Then because of those two phenomena I described we are unable to detect these repetitions. There is much more cognitive psychology research on reading than there is for writing so I am being a little speculative. If it is really troubling you I can do a search on PsycLit (a database of psychology abstracts) but I am fairly confident that the repetition of high frequency words is not a diagnostic indicator of schizophrenia or any other psychoses. Absols pattern of language use was typical of the disordering of language that some schizophrenics exhibit and that is a diagnostic indicator of schizophrenia (it is termed schizophasia or word salad).

It is only high frequency words that you repeat isn't it? If I had to guess why you are doing it more frequently I would say that your concentration is lapsing more often than before. Does that jibe with your subjective experience?
11-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Just so ya know, I wasn't implying you had schizophrenia or anything. Only that if something concerns you, asking your doc about it makes way more sense than asking the many psychiatrists that seem to have a constant presence on Internet forums. Often people think that if they can regurgitate a bunch of info, or have some sort of real life experience, it makes them an expert. But the truth is, an expert would never even toy with the idea of telling you what's wrong based on the tiny bit of info we have.

"This is a normal phenomenon and has no connection with schizophrenia.[6]"

Statements like this make me nervous. It implies something concrete. There ain't nothin concrete about schizophrenia. There are tons of variations, and a plethora of symptoms. Most cases are unique in some way. If double typing feels like just a "glitch", that's probably all it is. But if you truly feel like something just isn't right about it, ask someone. (Someone in the real world, not an internet shrink)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-11-2013, 06:28 AM
(10-11-2013 08:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah, I do. Especially if I am typing fast or if I get interrupted. Happens a lot at work.

Me too too

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
11-11-2013, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 07:25 AM by Chippy.)
(11-11-2013 06:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  There are tons of variations, and a plethora of symptoms. Most cases are unique in some way. If double typing feels like just a "glitch", that's probably all it is. But if you truly feel like something just isn't right about it, ask someone. (Someone in the real world, not an internet shrink)

You are being silly. The diagnostic criteria that a psychiatrist will use are those that are copiously documented in the latest edition of the DSM. Repeating a word does not appear as a diagnostic indicator of schizophrenia in DSM-IV-TR or DSM-V. If a psychaitrist isn't using the diagnostic criteria that are listed in the DSM then (s)he is making up their own mental illnesses and you shouldn't be taking their advice.

There is no sub-type of schizophrenia in which repeating high frequency words in your prose serves as diagnostic indicator so please stop implying that such is the case. You are causing unnecessary anxiety.