report from Sweden

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 05:33 PM
report from Sweden
Hi. I'm hailing from Stockholm, Sweden where a majority of the ethnic swedes are brought up as agnostics or non-believers, and so have I been. Most of the christians I've encountered through my years are either from a different country or culture. There were a few exceptions, but those were just the "weird" neighbors down the street as far as we were concerned.

Religion was never really talked about in my family, it wasn't an issue. My father said he was an atheist and remained so until the end. He past away in cancer last year. What my mother believes in, I have no idea. She has never expressed anything in that area at all. I do know that my grandmother was a bit sad to hear that my older brother wasn't going to be baptized, and neither was I later on. But I've never heard my mother have any opinion about it.

The only contact I've had with christianity are the ringing of the bells from the many churches every Sunday morning, but I never knew anyone who went there. I also with fascination watched the Jesus movies that was on TV sometime during Christmas and Easter. But they were fascinating because they were costume movies set in a historical time. They were fascinating for the same reason I watched Ivanhoe every New Year day.

Religion was also something you encountered in elementary school. We had religious classes where we learned the fundamental aspects of each world religion, but I really don't remember anything from it back then. Every school year also ended with a gathering in the local church where we sang cute children psalms, often with a summer topic. After that we ran out into the summer beneath the crescendo of the church bells.

When I did my military service I was asked to swear an oath that I would serve my King, god and country, but if I wished I could remove god from the oath. I did so.

That's the my long background story about my poor knowledge of christianity or any other religion for that matter. I do, through high school and out of interest, now know quite alot about christianity.

Sweden of today is a multi-cultural society which is something I really, to a large degree, enjoy and welcome. More than 15% of Sweden's population of 10 million are born outside its borders.

Many of these immigrants are religious and their religion is a huge part of their culture. And as an immigrant I suspect you hold your culture to an even higher regard than you would in your native country.

All this is fine and well for me, but sadly not for everyone. Rasism, Neo-nazism, and other xenophobias are on the rise. The third largest political party is a xenophobic, if not racist even, party and the other political parties together with media have no idea how to tackle this problem.

One way to do so is to perhaps go for the religion. But in Sweden our regard for religious freedom goes so far as to the point where we are afraid debating religion is more or less the same as taking a racist stance.

This might sound absurd. But the lack of religiosity previously has left us dumb founded when it comes to debating it. There are NO religious debates in Sweden. If there are then the topic is If religion should be criticized.

I feel that atheists in the US are much better equipped to criticize religion.

What are your take on this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Salkinius's post
08-03-2015, 06:16 PM
RE: report from Sweden
Welcome.

Wish we had your “problem” of not knowing how to criticize religion because we didn’t have any Weeping

I thought it was great that you didn’t have to pledge loyalty to King, god and country...in fact two of the three could have easily been left out Angel

Stick around and jump into the discussions, it’ll be interesting to hear your point of view.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Welcome! Good to have a Swede among us.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Quote: There were a few exceptions, but those were just the "weird" neighbors down the street as far as we were concerned.

lolol.....I get the feeling my neighbors think those same thoughts about me being an atheist. lol.

welcome to TTA

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
(08-03-2015 05:33 PM)Salkinius Wrote:  Sweden of today is a multi-cultural society which is something I really, to a large degree, enjoy and welcome. More than 15% of Sweden's population of 10 million are born outside its borders.

Rasism, Neo-nazism, and other xenophobias are on the rise. The third largest political party is a xenophobic, if not racist even, party and the other political parties together with media have no idea how to tackle this problem.

Ah Sweden, once cultural jewel of Europe to rape capital, with no small contribution from your Muslim demographic.
They have made the same contribution to our society in the UK, with extensive systematic paedophile gangs that make the catholic church cringe. And this is with just being 5% of the population.

The media have tried tackling this problem in Sweden, in conjunction with other political parties they have successfully censored and shouted down most of those that would speak up. Even I know that. There has even been a number of attacks against "racists" and "nazis" to stop them speaking their minds, with many an attempted murder to boot.
08-03-2015, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 07:41 PM by Salkinius.)
Thank you all for the welcome!

(08-03-2015 07:11 PM)DuffMan Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 05:33 PM)Salkinius Wrote:  Sweden of today is a multi-cultural society which is something I really, to a large degree, enjoy and welcome. More than 15% of Sweden's population of 10 million are born outside its borders.

Rasism, Neo-nazism, and other xenophobias are on the rise. The third largest political party is a xenophobic, if not racist even, party and the other political parties together with media have no idea how to tackle this problem.

Ah Sweden, once cultural jewel of Europe to rape capital, with no small contribution from your Muslim demographic.
They have made the same contribution to our society in the UK, with extensive systematic paedophile gangs that make the catholic church cringe. And this is with just being 5% of the population.

The media have tried tackling this problem in Sweden, in conjunction with other political parties they have successfully censored and shouted down most of those that would speak up. Even I know that. There has even been a number of attacks against "racists" and "nazis" to stop them speaking their minds, with many an attempted murder to boot.

What are you talking about? I thought people would put on the critical cap in these forums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics
The reasons why Sweden has the highest rape rate in the world are many.
1. Sex violence around the world are the most under reported crimes of them all.
2. In Sweden, victims to a much higher degree do report the crime.
3. Sweden has a much tougher definition of rape than in other countries.

These are the main reason for the high figure.

I don't know if non ethnic swedes commit more rape than any other... I highly doubt it. But I can say that almost all of the serial rapists have been ethnic swedes.

Yeah, there has been a reluctance to engage a debate with the racists about these issues. But that's because they are RACISTS! And the other political parties have not wanted to give these people more attention. This has somewhat backfired since there are lots of people that are misinformed, uneducated and xenophobic and who don't fins any alternative party who actually addresses the issue and debates it.
[+] 3 users Like Salkinius's post
08-03-2015, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 08:34 PM by DuffMan.)
(08-03-2015 07:38 PM)Salkinius Wrote:  Thank you all for the welcome!

What are you talking about? I thought people would put on the critical cap in these forums.

1. Sex violence around the world are the most under reported crimes of them all.

I don't know if non ethnic swedes commit more rape than any other... I highly doubt it. But I can say that almost all of the serial rapists have been ethnic swedes.

Yeah, there has been a reluctance to engage a debate with the racists about these issues. But that's because they are RACISTS! And the other political parties have not wanted to give these people more attention. This has somewhat backfired since there are lots of people that are misinformed, uneducated and xenophobic and who don't fins any alternative party who actually addresses the issue and debates it.

There hasn't been a reluctance to engage 'racists'. There has been a coordinated attempt against people talking about the social engineering that is going on in your country, and the problems it has created.

Also Sweden doesn't have the highest estimated rape in the world, so your citing material is defunct before I've even touched the meat behind it.
But this leads on to my next point, the crappiness of your citation material in it's very first line doesn't negate it making valid points later on, does it?

Like wise, being a racist doesn't mean they, your Swedish Nazi movement, don't have valid points and concerns that should be addressed.

Needless to say however, there would be a positive correlation between the gradual relaxation of Swedens immigration policy towards middle Eastern Muslims and your rape problem. Lets look it up.

And non-ethic Swedes? That's a new one, our media is still calling them "British Asian men from Pakistan" haha........... you cant tell me this is because of a change in your rape law.

[Image: sexbrott_75_11.jpg?w=720][/php]
09-03-2015, 05:43 AM
(08-03-2015 08:30 PM)DuffMan Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 07:38 PM)Salkinius Wrote:  Thank you all for the welcome!

There hasn't been a reluctance to engage 'racists'. There has been a coordinated attempt against people talking about the social engineering that is going on in your country, and the problems it has created.

Also Sweden doesn't have the highest estimated rape in the world, so your citing material is defunct before I've even touched the meat behind it.
But this leads on to my next point, the crappiness of your citation material in it's very first line doesn't negate it making valid points later on, does it?

Like wise, being a racist doesn't mean they, your Swedish Nazi movement, don't have valid points and concerns that should be addressed.

Needless to say however, there would be a positive correlation between the gradual relaxation of Swedens immigration policy towards middle Eastern Muslims and your rape problem. Lets look it up.

And non-ethic Swedes? That's a new one, our media is still calling them "British Asian men from Pakistan" haha........... you cant tell me this is because of a change in your rape law.

[Image: sexbrott_75_11.jpg?w=720][/php]

Well, they don't have valid points. SD (Sverigedemokraterna/The Swedish democrats) almost always fall short with the statistics they base their political validity on. They are like every other christian you might debate in that aspect. They are cherry picking the sources like hell.

I still do believe that the high number of reported rapes in Sweden is more about the willingness of women to report the crimes than they did 40 years ago.

Between 2004 and 2011 reported rapes climbed with a staggering 170% A 170%!!! Do you really think that immigration is the most significant factor for this? No it's not. Its due to a changes in the law.

Well this is a bit off topic.
[+] 1 user Likes Salkinius's post
09-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Double post... sorry
09-03-2015, 07:40 AM
The government agency that produced the diagram Duffman shared draws conclusions like those Salkinius presents i.e. harsher laws defining what rape is and more crimes being reported as taboos is lifted. The connection to immigration is an illusionary correlation.

Back on the original topic, Id like to add that a big difference here in Sweden is that science and faith is hardly ever combined, neither is faith and politics. Instead faith is seen as something strictly personal and discussing it therefore often interpreted as a personal attack. I would however say that debate about Islam is relatively common with the question being “can Muslims be secular?”.

If anybody wants to know, I’m from Sweden, born into a non-practising Christian family.

However, not a Saint.
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Templar's post