ridiculousness in B.C. Canada, The Clan vs the Klan?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2017, 08:19 AM
ridiculousness in B.C. Canada, The Clan vs the Klan?
I can't believe how seriously this is being considered but there is at least one call for sanity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.4303942

I'm agnostic on agnosticism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2017, 08:30 AM
RE: ridiculousness in B.C. Canada, The Clan vs the Klan?
(25-09-2017 08:19 AM)grejen Wrote:  I can't believe how seriously this is being considered but there is at least one call for sanity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.4303942

They'll be callin' out the clans on this one, laddie!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Totally ludicrous...

Googling "the clan" brings up a holiday resort in Australia; an Argentinian film; a book title about refugees; an Australian wine blend; a Moto Guzzi motorcycle festival; a Scottish cycling team; a restaurant in Singapore; a children's home network; a Kpop CD; a synth track on Soundcloud... etc etc etc.

This is a classic case of political excess being pushed to absurd extremes by the ultra-conservative, bleeding heart venti grande soy low-fat latté drinkers.

Apparently the team is doing this solely to avoid upsetting the 1950's puritanical sensibilities of Americans? No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-09-2017, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2017 10:11 AM by epronovost.)
In my opinion, changing the name The Clan to avoid confusion with The Klan is a pretty hysterical fear of being labelled racist. Don't worry, if the team (or the university) was to be charged of racism, there is going to be more arguments than: ''the name of your football team sound like the abreviation of the Ku Klux Klan!''. I can get why people would be upset about the Red Skin name or the logo of the Indian of Cleveland baseball team, but that seems a bit much. On another note, the Clan is a pretty lame football team name and could be changed for something better.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
25-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Some people just love being butthurt.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Hey, wait a second, I'm Clan Fraser goddamit.

#sigh
26-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Yeah, but...

The Scots founded the KKK: http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-...-1-4245873

"Scots archaeologist and historian Oliver said he had often celebrated the disproportionate impact Scots have had on the history of other countries, but in the documentary he investigates a darker legacy and the links between racism today in the American Deep South and the Scots who first occupied it."

Having lived in Scotland and being married to a Scot, my son is half Scots...

They're a bunch of racists, to be utterly frank.

My wife and I went to dinner in Glasgow last months with some friends. The husband at one point looked at me and said "everyone is a racist" and then launched on a tirade about how only some people could be allowed at the "table", ie., Chinese, Japanese, because they weren't as uncivilized as blacks. I tried to explain that, for instance, Canadians are not of one ethnicity so the word does not denote an ethnic background and the country is not like Europe, for instance, where you could say that you are Scottish not just because that was where you were born but also what your ethnicity was. Having listened to me he then said that his wife was "Canadian" because her father was born there, whereas I wasn't because my father wasn't. I restrained myself from hitting him and as we left the restaurant his wife, who is English, said, "actually, it was my grandfather who was born in Canada".

I think it's right that SFU changes the name because the Klan is a direct reference to Scottish clans and they were an unhealthy bunch of bastards and their legacy lives on. Not that I am anti-Scottish, but, it was one of the best days of my life when I left the place.
27-09-2017, 01:58 AM
(26-09-2017 09:54 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Yeah, but...

The Scots founded the KKK: http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-...-1-4245873

"Scots archaeologist and historian Oliver said he had often celebrated the disproportionate impact Scots have had on the history of other countries, but in the documentary he investigates a darker legacy and the links between racism today in the American Deep South and the Scots who first occupied it."

My wife and I went to dinner in Glasgow last months with some friends. The husband at one point looked at me and said "everyone is a racist" and then launched on a tirade about how only some people could be allowed at the "table", ie., Chinese, Japanese, because they weren't as uncivilized as blacks. I tried to explain that, for instance, Canadians are not of one ethnicity so the word does not denote an ethnic background and the country is not like Europe, for instance, where you could say that you are Scottish not just because that was where you were born but also what your ethnicity was. Having listened to me he then said that his wife was "Canadian" because her father was born there, whereas I wasn't because my father wasn't. I restrained myself from hitting him and as we left the restaurant his wife, who is English, said, "actually, it was my grandfather who was born in Canada".

I think it's right that SFU changes the name because the Klan is a direct reference to Scottish clans and they were an unhealthy bunch of bastards and their legacy lives on. Not that I am anti-Scottish, but, it was one of the best days of my life when I left the place.

Well I find your comments ignorant and racist. You are as bad as the individual you complain about.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
27-09-2017, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 09:13 AM by Deltabravo.)
(27-09-2017 01:58 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 09:54 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Yeah, but...

Well I find your comments ignorant and racist. You are as bad as the individual you complain about.

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Scotland is mired in racism: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sc...r-scotland

Through the year in Glasgow there are sectarian marches where thousands of people march through mainly Catholic areas to intimidate the local Catholics. The photo is of a march going past my step-daughter's apartment. She's Catholic. Don't think this isn't intimidating. You go out into the street when something like this is going by, directed at your family. Go fuck yourself. Seriously.

[Image: 6542410]

The former neighbour of ours said that everyone is a racist. I told him I was not and that neither were Canadians because "Canadian" is not an ethnicity, it's just a place. That's a typically Scottish and European attitude. There are no countries in Europe whose names do not relate to an ethnicity of the people living in them, except the former Yugoslavia.

Scots founded the KKK. George Wallace was of Scots descent, so is Donald Trump.

Scots also settled in Northern Ireland or "Ulster" as they prefer to call it.

[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
27-09-2017, 08:52 AM
People have been bullied into walking on eggs all the time.
God forbid that life requires a bit of actual intelligence rather than knee jerk reactions to every fucking thing.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post