scientist says he found proof of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2016, 06:51 PM
scientist says he found proof of god
http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist...-exists-2/

My aunt posted this and I know her all too well she believes this. I don't know enough of this kind of science to understand this, anyone wanna help please.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
07-06-2016, 07:20 PM
RE: scientist says he found proof of god
A common misconception. He's referring to a quote from Albert Einstein, who said "I want to know God's thoughts", by which he meant that the harmonious order found in the laws of physics were his conception of "the thoughts of God", which could be gradually discovered by mankind. Many people took this to mean he believed in the Judeo-Christian concept of an anthropomorphic Creator, but he was quick to point out to a Rabbi who asked him about it:

"I believe in Spinoza’s God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Einstein also famously said, "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

Of course, Einstein didn't like being called an atheist, either: "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." and "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

Dr. Kaku is clearly in the same sort of camp. However, if you watch the video, Kaku never says he has "found proof of God", but that he has discovered more of the Order to which Einstein referred. There's nothing in there about "proof of God". You should remind your aunt that lying for Jesus is still lying.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 15 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Religious types will twist god into any definition they can if it helps their argument at the time. The definitions can also change from one sentence to another.
Your aunt probably would never have given this video a second glance if it didn't have the word "God" in it.
07-06-2016, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2016 08:08 PM by SitaSky.)
This is the same kind of silly nonsense that confused Christians back when physicists discovered the "God Particle", it didn't have anything to do with any God. You can easily change that video title to "Scientist says he found d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ metaphorical proof that perhaps a God exists but not any kind of biblical God." The article is taking a real scientific idea and conflating it's meaning so it seems there is order in our universe...ummm how does that prove God? It doesn't!

First of all even if Dr. Kaku just came right out and said "God is real!" he would still have to prove it but he can be best described as a pantheist in that he believes that the universe is God, he doesn't' believe in an all seeing, all powerful sky daddy that created us and loves us, even if he were to agree that there is order in our universe that doesn't mean there is a consciousness or an intelligence behind the order and there is also just as much chaos.

If you wanna hear his thoughts on it, which is very poetic and a little sentimental, you can view it here. Skip to about the 1 minute mark:

Even if we were to suppose he's a Christian in the very least a deist, so what? Just because he's a respected physicist doesn't mean everything he has to say as far as spirituality is concerned is absolutely correct and flawless. I could find you at least 100 other physicists who are hard core atheists, does that make them all right too? Well, if we're only looking at actual evidence for Yahweh for example then yes, we have found no evidence that he exists.

If you want to stretch that and say "A creator exists." then you are still just making an assumption since we don't know what the hell happened before the big bang but we could say "Count Chokula created the universe, he is God." That would be just as true as saying "Yahweh created the universe, he is God, someone had to do it!" It can also be just as true that our universe always existed and all the building blocks always existed, it just exploded and is expanding, still no need for a God. There is still no reason to believe any kind of "order" has to be intentional anyway, we still have to contend with disorder, entropy and chaos, is that proof of Satan? If the answer is yes then it's also proof of Gargamel the evil wizard.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like SitaSky's post
07-06-2016, 08:14 PM
(07-06-2016 07:20 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  A common misconception. He's referring to a quote from Albert Einstein, who said "I want to know God's thoughts", by which he meant that the harmonious order found in the laws of physics were his conception of "the thoughts of God", which could be gradually discovered by mankind. Many people took this to mean he believed in the Judeo-Christian concept of an anthropomorphic Creator, but he was quick to point out to a Rabbi who asked him about it:

"I believe in Spinoza’s God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Einstein also famously said, "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

Of course, Einstein didn't like being called an atheist, either: "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." and "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

Dr. Kaku is clearly in the same sort of camp. However, if you watch the video, Kaku never says he has "found proof of God", but that he has discovered more of the Order to which Einstein referred. There's nothing in there about "proof of God". You should remind your aunt that lying for Jesus is still lying.

I love you! You are awesome!!! Thank you thank you so much.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
07-06-2016, 08:23 PM
(07-06-2016 06:51 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist...-exists-2/

My aunt posted this and I know her all too well she believes this. I don't know enough of this kind of science to understand this, anyone wanna help please.

I can't find any credible source mentioning Kaku's statement that we are "in a world made by rules created by an intelligence". The video and statement on the page say two different things. I'm guessing it's a pious lie that's spreading through the Christian community.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
07-06-2016, 08:23 PM
(07-06-2016 08:01 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  This is the same kind of silly nonsense that confused Christians back when physicists discovered the "God Particle", it didn't have anything to do with any God. You can easily change that video title to "Scientist says he found d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ metaphorical proof that perhaps a God exists but not any kind of biblical God." The article is taking a real scientific idea and conflating it's meaning so it seems there is order in our universe...ummm how does that prove God? It doesn't!

First of all even if Dr. Kaku just came right out and said "God is real!" he would still have to prove it but he can be best described as a pantheist in that he believes that the universe is God, he doesn't' believe in an all seeing, all powerful sky daddy that created us and loves us, even if he were to agree that there is order in our universe that doesn't mean there is a consciousness or an intelligence behind the order and there is also just as much chaos.

If you wanna hear his thoughts on it, which is very poetic and a little sentimental, you can view it here. Skip to about the 1 minute mark:

Even if we were to suppose he's a Christian in the very least a deist, so what? Just because he's a respected physicist doesn't mean everything he has to say as far as spirituality is concerned is absolutely correct and flawless. I could find you at least 100 other physicists who are hard core atheists, does that make them all right too? Well, if we're only looking at actual evidence for Yahweh for example then yes, we have found no evidence that he exists.

If you want to stretch that and say "A creator exists." then you are still just making an assumption since we don't know what the hell happened before the big bang but we could say "Count Chokula created the universe, he is God." That would be just as true as saying "Yahweh created the universe, he is God, someone had to do it!" It can also be just as true that our universe always existed and all the building blocks always existed, it just exploded and is expanding, still no need for a God. There is still no reason to believe any kind of "order" has to be intentional anyway, we still have to contend with disorder, entropy and chaos, is that proof of Satan? If the answer is yes then it's also proof of Gargamel the evil wizard.

OK, my degree is in physics, and I am a strong atheist. While I think that we have a long way to go to getting to the final answer for the physical universe (and may never), I'm not going to assign agency to what somebody claims to be a "god", until they can give me a cogent argument without weasel-words, making up definitions as they go along, moving the goalposts, and outright lying.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-06-2016, 08:25 PM
(07-06-2016 08:23 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:51 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist...-exists-2/

I can't find any credible source mentioning Kaku's statement that we are "in a world made by rules created by an intelligence". The video and statement on the page say two different things. I'm guessing it's a pious lie that's spreading through the Christian community.

Bolding mine. Ninja'd again! Laugh out load
07-06-2016, 09:04 PM
(07-06-2016 08:23 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

Same here. I've been looking for quite a while to try to find any real reference to this, outside of copy-pasted duplicates of the same article (after it turned up on my Facebook feed, as well). The only thing I can find that's a direct source for Kaku's comments is here: http://www.floatinguniversity.com/kaku-transcript

It's long, but if you want to see how Kaku conceives of the concept of "God", then it's illuminating. At one point, he talks about how technology and understanding of physics will allow humans to become gods, from the POV of humans today, by 2100.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
08-06-2016, 06:30 PM
(07-06-2016 09:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 08:23 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I can't find any credible source mentioning Kaku's statement that we are "in a world made by rules created by an intelligence". The video and statement on the page say two different things. I'm guessing it's a pious lie that's spreading through the Christian community.

Same here. I've been looking for quite a while to try to find any real reference to this, outside of copy-pasted duplicates of the same article (after it turned up on my Facebook feed, as well). The only thing I can find that's a direct source for Kaku's comments is here: http://www.floatinguniversity.com/kaku-transcript

It's long, but if you want to see how Kaku conceives of the concept of "God", then it's illuminating. At one point, he talks about how technology and understanding of physics will allow humans to become gods, from the POV of humans today, by 2100.

Can you just imagine what shenanigans those hypocritical asshole religious hucksters are going to pull on the gullible, when that happens? Gasp