scientists tweaking human genes- designer baby?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2015, 07:32 PM
scientists tweaking human genes- designer baby?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/04/...t=20150423

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2015, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 08:04 PM by pablo.)
RE: scientists tweaking human genes- designer baby?
The article mentions several times, the ethical and moral implications of such experiments.
My question: Whose ethics and morals are being violated specifically?
24-04-2015, 05:57 AM
(23-04-2015 07:43 PM)pablo Wrote:  The article mentions several times, the ethical and moral implications of such experiments.
My question: Whose ethics and morals are being violated specifically?

I think it would be hard to say curing diseases is violating ethics or morality. I'd say despite the standard reaction of people to be frightened by this, I don't see how we can tell people that we refuse to take any action in ridding ourselves of debilitating genetic disorders.
We're not god after all....Big Grin

Quote:The procedure could enable scientists to do all sorts of things, including possibly preventing and curing diseases. So the Chinese scientists tried using CRISPR/Cas9 to fix a gene known as the HBB gene, which causes beta thallasemia.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-04-2015, 06:05 AM
its classic slippery slope. one day you are curing blood diseases, the next day you are curing brown eyes.

it has been a slope that scientists were shying away from, but now its been crossed.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Next thing you know, we've got Bean from Ender's Shadow.
24-04-2015, 06:33 AM
You can get glow the dark cats in Korea. Is it too much to ask for to have this option available for human babies too?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
24-04-2015, 06:41 AM
On one hand, I can see the positive benefits of this. People would finally be able to have children that will not inherit anything that would otherwise make their lives harder for both the child and/or the parents and celebrities will bestow upon the world their fabulous designer babies and hence another new absurd trend will begin!

But at the same time, this possibility would also allow a smaller mortality rate and potentially over time cause overpopulation.

Then again, we'll more than likely be colonized on other planets by the time this becomes a widespread norm. Consider

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
24-04-2015, 06:44 AM
(24-04-2015 06:33 AM)yakherder Wrote:  You can get glow the dark cats in Korea. Is it too much to ask for to have this option available for human babies too?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-04-2015, 05:58 PM
There's a cynical part of me that thinks that designer babies are a bad idea. We've fucked with genetics enough as it is. The reason I'm nearsighted is because I inherited it.

The hopeful part of me thinks maybe we'll be able to genetically engineer smarter people. Why? Stupid people breed indiscriminately and often, but usually intelligent people don't have 15 or 20 kids.

I'm torn on the issue.