searching myself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 07:29 PM
searching myself
Hi, I'm new with this. I'm not Atheist. I'm not sure what I am. I'm just seeking answers. I was talking to my cousin today (who is an Atheist) about my upbringing and religion. I was raised and forced into church growing up. All my life I've questioned it. I've never felt like I belonged in any of the churches I've grown up in. (I was raised a Christian in baptist churches) I was raised to never ever question anything, to just shut up and believe. My cousin and I were talking about what I feel and believe and she thinks i'm a pantheist. She also said she believes in a few years I'll be atheist. Who knows? Confused I'm open-minded and always have been. I guess that's not how christians are supposed to be because it's been discouraged my entire life. I'm just a little confused so that's why i'm here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 07:56 PM
RE: searching myself
(04-03-2013 07:29 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  Hi, I'm new with this. I'm not Atheist. I'm not sure what I am. I'm just seeking answers. I was talking to my cousin today (who is an Atheist) about my upbringing and religion. I was raised and forced into church growing up. All my life I've questioned it. I've never felt like I belonged in any of the churches I've grown up in. (I was raised a Christian in baptist churches) I was raised to never ever question anything, to just shut up and believe. My cousin and I were talking about what I feel and believe and she thinks i'm a pantheist. She also said she believes in a few years I'll be atheist. Who knows? Confused I'm open-minded and always have been. I guess that's not how christians are supposed to be because it's been discouraged my entire life. I'm just a little confused so that's why i'm here.

Welcome to the forum. You will be exposed to many ideas here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I hope you can grow to be more comfortable with your feelings regarding religion and beliefs. Also, I don't think ANYONE can honestly say they are sure about anything they believe. Humans are always learning by trial and error. You just need to have more open-minded discussions with many different people, as you've said that you were just "expected to believe and not question."

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Welcome Smile
05-03-2013, 03:58 PM
(04-03-2013 08:08 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I hope you can grow to be more comfortable with your feelings regarding religion and beliefs. Also, I don't think ANYONE can honestly say they are sure about anything they believe. Humans are always learning by trial and error. You just need to have more open-minded discussions with many different people, as you've said that you were just "expected to believe and not question."

Thank you! So do I. I've always been open-minded and it's been highly discouraged by most of the influential christians in my life. I've always felt like something wasn't right...almost like wearing a left shoe on the right foot. It just never felt right.
05-03-2013, 04:03 PM
(04-03-2013 07:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. You will be exposed to many ideas here.
And me. You will be exposed to me too.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Please keep all insane stupidity inside the vehicle at all time until the ride is over!

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
You're correct. Open-mindedness is discouraged by most Christian organizations because if you're open-minded and ask questions and care about the answers, there are too many unanswerable questions for those organizations to defend in any sensible way. That path leads to becoming non-Christian (often atheist, but there are other non-Christian paths too). Hence, they discourage such inquisitiveness.

Welcome to the forums. You aren't likely to find too much support here, or more accurately, too much support for non-atheism. That doesn't mean you'll be bashed and bruised and abused, as long as you keep your open mind and approach discussion fairly. I think most of us value good discussion far more than we care about your individual beliefs.

I daresay that if you stick around long enough, and you meant what you said about being open-minded, then your sister's prognostication will likely bear out.

(that's a good thing, by the way).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
05-03-2013, 07:05 PM
(05-03-2013 03:58 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 08:08 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I hope you can grow to be more comfortable with your feelings regarding religion and beliefs. Also, I don't think ANYONE can honestly say they are sure about anything they believe. Humans are always learning by trial and error. You just need to have more open-minded discussions with many different people, as you've said that you were just "expected to believe and not question."

Thank you! So do I. I've always been open-minded and it's been highly discouraged by most of the influential christians in my life. I've always felt like something wasn't right...almost like wearing a left shoe on the right foot. It just never felt right.
I haven't been here too long myself. I think you are going to like hearing such open and honest answers. It's like a breath of fresh air Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
05-03-2013, 07:19 PM
(05-03-2013 07:05 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 03:58 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  Thank you! So do I. I've always been open-minded and it's been highly discouraged by most of the influential christians in my life. I've always felt like something wasn't right...almost like wearing a left shoe on the right foot. It just never felt right.
I haven't been here too long myself. I think you are going to like hearing such open and honest answers. It's like a breath of fresh air Smile

Yeah, no kidding! If you ask any christian honest answers about this stuff they stumble, change the subject, or whatever else to avoid the real truth. Or the big one, "Just have faith. Let go and let God!" They say he can handle it, but I've seen just the opposite. I'm so glad I can finally be honest about all this and not feel judged by it.
05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
(05-03-2013 04:11 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  You're correct. Open-mindedness is discouraged by most Christian organizations because if you're open-minded and ask questions and care about the answers, there are too many unanswerable questions for those organizations to defend in any sensible way. That path leads to becoming non-Christian (often atheist, but there are other non-Christian paths too). Hence, they discourage such inquisitiveness.

Welcome to the forums. You aren't likely to find too much support here, or more accurately, too much support for non-atheism. That doesn't mean you'll be bashed and bruised and abused, as long as you keep your open mind and approach discussion fairly. I think most of us value good discussion far more than we care about your individual beliefs.

I daresay that if you stick around long enough, and you meant what you said about being open-minded, then your sister's prognostication will likely bear out.

(that's a good thing, by the way).

Exactly! They can't answer them because they don't know the answer. They know it doesn't make sense and they don't want to admit that. I hated that growing up. Every question was met with judgement and disdain. Like I just said to another poster, "Let go and let God." Ugh! I'm tired of hearing that...and "just have faith." What is that going to do?

I have always been open-minded about almost anything. I don't see things, especially religion, one-sided. I like research and asking questions. Being told to just believe and not to question bugs me. I just can't accept that. I want answers.