secular group singing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 11:56 AM
secular group singing
This seems to be a problem.
I am older, and do enjoy singing. For obvious reasons I can't really go sing in a church.
Recently I attended a big fair and the local barbershop group had a booth with free voice lessons offered.
I know, barbershop? Rainbow Vomit
Hey it is singing and harmonizing. I just want to get my pipes going again, it has been 40+ years since I was in a school choir. What could it hurt?
The current director has to be a pastor. Between songs he just had to make some biblical references, etc. The perfect bully pulpit. Most of the members seem to be christians too, but I don't hold that against them. I came to sing, dangit!
So this is just me venting and introducing myself in the music forum.Tonight is the second night and if it gets too odiferous there I will leave and do a small bit of bully pulpit to tell them why.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
RE: secular group singing
Meh...just ignore it and sing. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-10-2015, 01:04 PM
That's unfortunate. I've been in singing groups where we do religious music as well as secular music (because there's so much great religious vocal music) but not had the directors make any religious comments. I even sing in a professional Christmas caroling group whose members are mostly atheists and Jews...

If it is to a level that's making you uncomfortable after a few more rehearsals, you might try to find a different group, or maybe by that time you'll have found the other nonbelievers in the group and you can roll your eyes at each other when the director starts talking religion. At least being in the group for a little while will help you get your voice in shape for a better opportunity.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Julep, that is it exactly. I can sing hymns and have a good time.
bawdybroad, I will think some happy thoughts while ignoring it tonight.
06-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Welcome and I agree with Moms aka Bawdy Broad lol...just enjoy the music and ignore the rest.
06-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Try downloading the "meetup" app onto your cell phone and look for singing groups in your area. This is a growing trend and that could be a way for you to put your love for music into action. If there isn't a non-religious based singing group then start one! Smile

EDIT: And welcome to the TTA forum!

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
06-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks! Meetup has some real promise.
07-10-2015, 12:53 AM
hey, they left god out tonight. There's hope yet Big Grin
23-10-2015, 05:29 AM
(06-10-2015 11:56 AM)skyking Wrote:  This seems to be a problem.
I am older, and do enjoy singing. For obvious reasons I can't really go sing in a church.
Recently I attended a big fair and the local barbershop group had a booth with free voice lessons offered.
I know, barbershop? Rainbow Vomit
Hey it is singing and harmonizing. I just want to get my pipes going again, it has been 40+ years since I was in a school choir. What could it hurt?
The current director has to be a pastor. Between songs he just had to make some biblical references, etc. The perfect bully pulpit. Most of the members seem to be christians too, but I don't hold that against them. I came to sing, dangit!
So this is just me venting and introducing myself in the music forum.Tonight is the second night and if it gets too odiferous there I will leave and do a small bit of bully pulpit to tell them why.

My sister sings in a church chorus because she loves to sing. They do a lot of public performances around the Chicago area. There aren't many places for that sort of singing opportunity. She just sets aside the religious aspect and enjoys the music.

Go for it...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-10-2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks. I appreciate it.
I listened to a practice CD the other day and came to the conclusion that, even though it is singing and harmony and great bunch of guys, that 7th chord harmony is like an icepick to my music ear. I don't think I can overcome this problem. If just listening to one CD is no good, I can't imagine listening and practicing as much as it will take to do it justice.
I'd rather sing hymns, at least the harmonies are more pleasing to my ear.