11-03-2014, 11:57 PM
RE: shimmyjimmy is an agnostic atheist now
[Image: obvious-troll-is-obvious_zpse35d54c3.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Charis's post
12-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure what to make of 'shimmyjimmy' yet. I want to believe she his being genuine an honest, but....I'm skeptical. Still holding my opinion.

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
12-03-2014, 12:06 AM
(11-03-2014 05:59 PM)Miss Meng Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 05:54 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  , but what's this agnostic shit?

A vogue term atheists currently use to try and justify and rationalize there absurd claims and beliefs.

~ Miss Meng

Atheism is not a belief or a claim, it is a statement of unbelief. There is nothing to rationalize, since there is no evidence to consider.

I wonder how many different ways I have said that, and how many times. Deja Vu doesn't even cut it as a description.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
12-03-2014, 12:06 AM
I was referring to Meng above. I'm backing off of SJ for the moment.
12-03-2014, 12:16 AM
(12-03-2014 12:06 AM)Charis Wrote:  I was referring to Meng above. I'm backing off of SJ for the moment.

Don't worry, the fan is a dead giveaway. Wink

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
12-03-2014, 02:45 AM
(12-03-2014 12:00 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm not sure what to make of 'shimmyjimmy' yet. I want to believe she his being genuine an honest, but....I'm skeptical. Still holding my opinion.

I'm still open to the idea of her being genuine.

I don't know what her background is, but if you have been raised all your life as a fundamentalist christian then the way you argue is heavily influenced by your background.

It takes a long time to question each assumption that you have made in the past that you thought was an unequivocal truth. It takes time just to spot all these assumptions. Then you need to spend time re-evaluating them, debating each one and arrive at a new conclusion. Your whole model of reality then has to adapt.

Many of us have been through this process and now know the answers. But it is easy to forget how long it took because the answers seem so obvious now.

There have been a few responses from her that flagged up the troll alert, such as my question about what would you ask Satan and she responded about how it doesn't matter if you are being cooked. But then can we really disregard a lifetime of christian conditioning coming to the fore in a heated conversation?

Everybody deals with the break-up of their faith in different ways. Some passively accept it, others fight against it. Some think about it privately, others go out and ask the difficult questions. And they are difficult questions until you know the answers.

What we do know is that if we as a community are aggressive, taunting at every step, intimidating (as in suggestions of sexual violence towards them because they are a woman) and intolerant to people struggling with their faith who are honestly contemplating whether they are an atheist, then we run the risk of hampering their progress or even pushing them back into theism. Why do that to people?

Remember, the spread of theism relies on the manipulation of emotions. You arrive at atheism through reasoning and evidence. Let's cool down on the emotions for those exploring a new world of reasoning and evidence. This applies even if they are a troll, because you don't know who else is reading the thread with the same questions who is genuinely on the same path.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-03-2014, 02:49 AM
(12-03-2014 02:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 12:00 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm not sure what to make of 'shimmyjimmy' yet. I want to believe she his being genuine an honest, but....I'm skeptical. Still holding my opinion.

I'm still open to the idea of her being genuine.

I don't know what her background is, but if you have been raised all your life as a fundamentalist christian then the way you argue is heavily influenced by your background.

It takes a long time to question each assumption that you have made in the past that you thought was an unequivocal truth. It takes time just to spot all these assumptions. Then you need to spend time re-evaluating them, debating each one and arrive at a new conclusion. Your whole model of reality then has to adapt.

Many of us have been through this process and now know the answers. But it is easy to forget how long it took because the answers seem so obvious now.

There have been a few responses from her that flagged up the troll alert, such as my question about what would you ask Satan and she responded about how it doesn't matter if you are being cooked. But then can we really disregard a lifetime of christian conditioning coming to the fore in a heated conversation?

Everybody deals with the break-up of their faith in different ways. Some passively accept it, others fight against it. Some think about it privately, others go out and ask the difficult questions. And they are difficult questions until you know the answers.

What we do know is that if we as a community are aggressive, taunting at every step, intimidating (as in suggestions of sexual violence towards them because they are a woman) and intolerant to people struggling with their faith who are honestly contemplating whether they are an atheist, then we run the risk of hampering their progress or even pushing them back into theism. Why do that to people?

Remember, the spread of theism relies on the manipulation of emotions. You arrive at atheism through reasoning and evidence. Let's cool down on the emotions for those exploring a new world of reasoning and evidence. This applies even if they are a troll, because you don't know who else is reading the thread with the same questions who is genuinely on the same path.

When she said she'd been raised Christian and wasn't sure now, that's when I backed off for those very same reasons, especially the part about how the background will heavily influence how she's coming across, even without her being aware of it.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
12-03-2014, 10:49 AM
(12-03-2014 02:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  ...There have been a few responses from her that flagged up the troll alert, such as my question about what would you ask Satan and she responded about how it doesn't matter if you are being cooked. But then can we really disregard a lifetime of christian conditioning coming to the fore in a heated conversation?

That's what made me skeptical. There were those parts that threw up major flags, yet at the same time she was responding in a way that seemed like she was hesitantly trying to actually understand, but with a small block up.

She definitely had disingenuous traits to things she said, and some asshole remarks. But to be fair, some people were being assholes to her, but it didn’t help make it any easier to figure out her character. But I couldn't tell if that disingenuousness she portrayed came from trolling, or her religious background unintentionally, or unknowingly putting up blocks.

I agree, some…I won’t name who…we all know who…have been too hard on her for the reasons you stated. I also agree with them that there seems to be a strong sense of a religious troll in this one, but like you said, that could be because of these indoctrinated blocks she may not even recognize he has and is using.

I think being blunt is fine when dealing with ridiculous notions of religion, but you also have to think of where this person is coming from, and have empathy if they are honestly attempting to seek reality, even if they are stumbling with it. I think the harsh, negative reactions, from some here, come from a fear, or simply a displeasure, of spending a lot of time honestly engaging and taking the person seriously, just to find out it was the former which was true, and they are in fact a troll, and you made yourself feel like a fool spending so much time taking a blatant troll seriously.

My skepticism on this one is that I can’t tell which side of the fence she is on yet. I have hints of honesty, and hints of disingenuousness coming from her. But that is also what you would expect to find from a transitional specimen between a theist and an atheist.

For now, I remain skeptical, but optimistic.

[+] 4 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
12-03-2014, 11:08 AM
It seems donotwant is not only creeping on females, but on males like myself as well.

[Image: 56d2ce5fd9180c157d6ddefb86a317c8_zps039b22a8.jpg]

If donotwant objects to this discussion being public, he can fuck himself with a cactus.

I ALMOST reported this shit.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 8 users Like Atothetheist's post
12-03-2014, 11:12 AM
(12-03-2014 11:08 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  It seems donotwant is not only creeping on females, but on males like myself as well.

[Image: 56d2ce5fd9180c157d6ddefb86a317c8_zps039b22a8.jpg]

If donotwant objects to this discussion being public, he can fuck himself with a cactus.

I ALMOST reported this shit.

Well this makes you the 5th or 6th person he has done this too. Creepy little idiot.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post