shimmyjimmy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 06:36 AM
RE: shimmyjimmy
Miss Meng cannot contain her excitement. Oh, oh, a wonderful few questions. May I?

Is there a God? Yes.
Is there an afterlife? Yes.

Very simple!

~ Miss Meng
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 06:36 AM
(11-03-2014 06:20 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I get what you're saying. I suppose it makes sense to want to question the cause of the universe FIRST, before assuming anything beyond that.

But I know the universe is energy, and it must have been caused by SOMETHING. What that something is, I don't know. My assumption is that is it a greater intelligence.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but just that you have to seed your assumptions with "something" to answer one question, and that leaves you with a different question.

(11-03-2014 06:20 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I suppose I am an agnostic with a slight hunch? Undecided

Perhaps. Since you are assuming an intelligent cause that you call "God", I'd say maybe a deist. Since you aren't sure that God is intelligent and that "God" is a convenient label, you might be a pantheist, too. Not that the labels are necessarily important.
11-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Because there's no evidence to support your claim that "something" "had" to have created all the energy in the universe.
Even if "something" did it brings up the question "what created that".

The simple truth is that we don't know where everything came from.
That's your answer "we don't know".

You're trying to force a puzzle piece into another puzzle piece when it clearly just doesn't fit. Accept that the puzzle piece that does fit is lost, for now but also potentially forever. Just stop trying to force the wrong puzzle piece into the puzzle.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
11-03-2014, 06:39 AM
(11-03-2014 06:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because there's no evidence to support your claim that "something" "had" to have created all the energy in the universe.

You're trying to force a puzzle piece into another puzzle piece when it clearly just doesn't fit. Accept that the puzzle piece that does fit is lost, for now but also potentially forever. Just stop trying to force the wrong puzzle piece into the puzzle.

Miss Meng smiles warmly. So silly of me dear, but are you suggesting the universe wasn't in fact created by our loving and beautiful creator? Miss Meng laughs a little, but then understands that some people are a little confused.

~ Miss Meng
11-03-2014, 06:41 AM
(11-03-2014 04:54 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I assume a cause, for which I refer to as 'God' merely for convenience of the term
Why call that "unknown something something" "God" ? i don't see a point in defining something you don't know.

Its much more honest to just say "I don't know" than "I don't know therefore God" this is the infamous god of gaps reasoning.

I just don't get why theists keep pushing this "God" where their knowledge of the world falls short.

Its like as if God can only exist where our knowledge ends.
Quote:I do assume that this 'cause' has some form of intelligence and information, whatever it may be.
It came from nothing and is causeless i suppose? Consider

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
11-03-2014, 06:42 AM
(11-03-2014 06:39 AM)Miss Meng Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 06:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because there's no evidence to support your claim that "something" "had" to have created all the energy in the universe.

Miss Meng smiles warmly. So silly of me dear, but are you suggesting the universe wasn't in fact created by our loving and beautiful creator? Miss Meng laughs a little, but then understands that some people are a little confused.

~ Miss Meng

Muff's isn't suggesting, Muff's is saying.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
11-03-2014, 06:43 AM

It's an assumption based on an appeal to causation.
11-03-2014, 06:44 AM
(11-03-2014 06:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 06:39 AM)Miss Meng Wrote:  Miss Meng smiles warmly. So silly of me dear, but are you suggesting the universe wasn't in fact created by our loving and beautiful creator? Miss Meng laughs a little, but then understands that some people are a little confused.

~ Miss Meng

Muff's isn't suggesting, Muff's is saying.

Oh, well quite, dear, I don't doubt that you feel certain, I doubt the number of assertions you made in the original post.

Happy to help!

~ Miss Meng
11-03-2014, 06:50 AM
(11-03-2014 06:33 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 06:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wrong.

How so?

If quantum mechanics has taught us anything then it is that the common sense learned from personal experience does not necessarily correspond to what happens at the quantum level or that it can be used to explain the fundamental nature of reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
11-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Just added Miss Meng to my ignore list. The only one on there so far! She just added noise.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post