should i go into a twelve step rehab ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2015, 09:27 AM
should i go into a twelve step rehab ?
After about 10 days of insane behaviour including being a total bastard both on and off line and culminating in painting the town red on Tuesday night and spending a night in the cells for swearing at a cop I finally got to see my shrink on Wednesday afternoon and am now properly medicated for my PTSD anxiety and depression, which has really helped I have been offered rehab somewhere in Wiltshire the only trouble is that its a twelve step program .....aagh!! Not sure what to do. I want to get well again but really struggle with twelve step recovery now im a non believer anyone have any suggestions? I'm temped to swallow my pride coz I don't like the person I am at the moment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2015, 09:34 AM
RE: should i go into a twelve step rehab ?
Holy shit dude!! Gasp

Can you even get past step 1?

If not, how can you even do it?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
25-06-2015, 09:35 AM
(25-06-2015 09:27 AM)adey67 Wrote:  After about 10 days of insane behaviour including being a total bastard both on and off line and culminating in painting the town red on Tuesday night and spending a night in the cells for swearing at a cop I finally got to see my shrink on Wednesday afternoon and am now properly medicated for my PTSD anxiety and depression, which has really helped I have been offered rehab somewhere in Wiltshire the only trouble is that its a twelve step program .....aagh!! Not sure what to do. I want to get well again but really struggle with twelve step recovery now im a non believer anyone have any suggestions? I'm temped to swallow my pride coz I don't like the person I am at the moment.

I am a lifelong atheist who is 24 years sober and got sober in AA. I haven't been to a meeting in years, though.
I took the most liberal interpretation of the steps and made it work for me.

What really made the difference was a good sponsor, a good core group of friends, and a decent counselor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
25-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Geez mate, buggered if I know. 12 steps is a religious thing, right? If so I would avoid it.

You just have to stop. Rick Wakeman says rehab's are worthless because they do not represent the enviroment you leave to go into. The best thing is to want to give it up. Then you can. Sounds to me like you are over it. Time to simply stop. Life is too short to waste on grog,

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-06-2015, 09:37 AM
(25-06-2015 09:34 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Holy shit dude!! Gasp

Step 1 is no biggie. Really.

Could I stop drinking on my own? There was no evidence that I could.

Did I need something more? It seemed so. It wasn't God - it was people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-06-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm not drinking now and Tuesday night was a one off but have real problems controlling my anger and also pressing the fuck it button which makes me totally unreasonable to be around, I think I have learned my lesson I have tried to stay away from the forum out of respect for the person I insulted but I find it so therapeutic that I am back and will just take any anger that comes my way .
25-06-2015, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2015 10:03 AM by Black Eagle.)
(25-06-2015 09:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  I am a lifelong atheist who is 24 years sober and got sober in AA. I haven't been to a meeting in years, though.
I took the most liberal interpretation of the steps and made it work for me.

What really made the difference was a good sponsor, a good core group of friends, and a decent counselor.

I, too, am a lifelong atheist who is 36 years clean and sober [I did drugs and booze] and I got clean and sober through AA. The "God" part of AA was no big deal to me and what got me straight was spending time with people who were in the same boat I was in. I haven't been to a meeting in at least 25 years but I have no desire to drink or do drugs anymore.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
25-06-2015, 09:57 AM
(25-06-2015 09:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm not drinking now and Tuesday night was a one off but have real problems controlling my anger and also pressing the fuck it button which makes me totally unreasonable to be around, I think I have learned my lesson I have tried to stay away from the forum out of respect for the person I insulted but I find it so therapeutic that I am back and will just take any anger that comes my way .

I think you should do the 12 steps. I know people who have used AA and it has worked wonders for them. I think it was mecanna who said that your higher power can be anything you want it to be--so it doesn't have to be God. Maybe an anger management program would also be helpful? It is great that you realize you need help and want to get help--that really is the first step. You should feel empowered just by recognizing that and trying to put things into motion. Good luck to you. Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
25-06-2015, 10:42 AM
(25-06-2015 09:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 09:34 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Holy shit dude!! Gasp

Step 1 is no biggie. Really.

I agree with this, get past the god part, think of the higher power as a better version of yourself and others. Do the program.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
25-06-2015, 10:41 PM
(25-06-2015 10:42 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 09:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  Step 1 is no biggie. Really.

I agree with this, get past the god part, think of the higher power as a better version of yourself and others. Do the program.

Thanks to you both. I have wondered for along time how non-believers were able to do the program. That is not exactly something you can just go up to a person and ask.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac