*sigh* Another crappy argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: *sigh* Another crappy argument
(06-10-2016 12:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hi OC *hugs*

This has got to be so hard on both of you--so sorry you are dealing with all of this. I think the best thing to do is to arm your kids with the ability to think for themselves. To question and to learn about and embrace philosophy, science, anthropology (learning that there are other cultures out there with other gods), archaeology--everything that allows someone to pause for thought when being fed various mythology.

There are a few books for kids that I've come across that your wife *may* be okay with. They are specifically for kids and allows them the ability to question at a young age/plants seeds of reason in a way a kid can understand. Imo, The Book of Gods and The Belief Book by David G. McAfee and Chuck Harrison are really great tools for cultivating young independent thinkers.

Thanks Jenny.

Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
06-10-2016, 06:58 PM
RE: *sigh* Another crappy argument
(06-10-2016 12:15 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 05:07 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I expect that this will be the next bump in the road for you and your wife. She will not be happy when your kids don't turn out to be good little Christians.

This actually terrifies me. I feel that every time she is reminded I don't buy it or I make a point, it is a knife in her. I don't know if that is true but that is just how I feel about it. I get no pleasure from this at all.

I can't even imagine. I think you just need to focus on your kids thinking for themselves and not living their lives based on WWJD. I know it must be so hard re: hurting your wife--but she is an adult and can choose (and I use that word loosely because of religious brainwashing) to live in delusion. Kids are impressionable and religious training can negatively impact them and their lives in so many different ways. I know it's hard due to your wife--but you need to focus on their well being and hopefully, all will be well with your wife if the outcome is not what she would like.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post