*sigh* Not sure where to go with this one

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: *sigh* Not sure where to go with this one
Oh boy, not AiG. Sorry to hear that. I can't stand it when people talk to me after getting "educated" there.

Don't know if it's any use to you, but my recent new strategy is to say I don't care if the God of the bible is real, because I would not worship him. His book makes his evil, psychopathic nature clear. If your wife isn't too familiar with the bible, maybe getting her to actually read it through would open her eyes to how ridiculous it is, and how unworthy of worship that floaty bastard is. Even if he was good, I wouldn't worship him, because it's a ridiculous concept.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 01:06 PM
(09-04-2015 01:03 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Oh boy, not AiG. Sorry to hear that. I can't stand it when people talk to me after getting "educated" there.

Don't know if it's any use to you, but my recent new strategy is to say I don't care if the God of the bible is real, because I would not worship him. His book makes his evil, psychopathic nature clear. If your wife isn't too familiar with the bible, maybe getting her to actually read it through would open her eyes to how ridiculous it is, and how unworthy of worship that floaty bastard is. Even if he was good, I wouldn't worship him, because it's a ridiculous concept.

You're just angry with God. Angry

I stay away from the "I wouldn't worship that psychopathic monster" strategy.
I simply ask why someone why he/she does. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2015, 02:19 PM
(09-04-2015 01:03 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Oh boy, not AiG. Sorry to hear that. I can't stand it when people talk to me after getting "educated" there.

She is sort of familiar with it. She says that she has trouble remembering parts of it though which makes it way more difficult to have a discussion with her. I also don't think that approach is very healthy though of saying the god of the bible is a monster. Not that I disagree with that but I can pretty much guarantee that will be a put off. I am trying to discuss this with her to see deeper into her mind and understand her better.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2015, 02:41 PM
(09-04-2015 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  I simply ask why someone why he/she does. Drinking Beverage

I have asked many times and the responses I get are a bit flighty IMO. If you can believe it she actually has never explained WHY. Shoot, I don't even know if she knows herself or has even thought about it. It is just something that always has been there. I have pieced together that the bible is a major reason and even last night she basically said that she thinks it is true because she was told it was true and not because of any research on her part. She also thinks that there is a mystical dementor (aka satan) that is/was trying to keep her from showing me how happy she is in church. I am assuming because she thinks it wants me for some reason. Confused

I hate the fact that she thinks that I will be separated from her when she dies which saddens her and I hate even more that she thinks she is stupid. It probably doesn't help that she is told on pretty much a weekly basis that she is incapable of anything on her own and that she is a broken human living in a broken, lost world. While I get that childhood indoctrination bit, it does strike me as interesting that she is utterly incapable of understanding why someone could read books, read the bible and whatnot yet still not see it for what she thinks it is. That is something I am trying to empathize with but it is so difficult. I see the world through evidence. Show me the evidence and I will evaluate it. Show her something that may call a belief into question and it is automatically wrong. I can't grasp how anyone could believe what the boilerplate xtian believes and yet completely ignore the other awful things contained within the book. I just want to see it from her point-of-view. Sorry for the rant.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
09-04-2015, 02:49 PM
(09-04-2015 02:41 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  I simply ask why someone why he/she does. Drinking Beverage

I have asked many times and the responses I get are a bit flighty IMO. If you can believe it she actually has never explained WHY. Shoot, I don't even know if she knows herself or has even thought about it. It is just something that always has been there. I have pieced together that the bible is a major reason and even last night she basically said that she thinks it is true because she was told it was true and not because of any research on her part. She also thinks that there is a mystical dementor (aka satan) that is/was trying to keep her from showing me how happy she is in church. I am assuming because she thinks it wants me for some reason. Confused

I hate the fact that she thinks that I will be separated from her when she dies which saddens her and I hate even more that she thinks she is stupid. It probably doesn't help that she is told on pretty much a weekly basis that she is incapable of anything on her own and that she is a broken human living in a broken, lost world. While I get that childhood indoctrination bit, it does strike me as interesting that she is utterly incapable of understanding why someone could read books, read the bible and whatnot yet still not see it for what she thinks it is. That is something I am trying to empathize with but it is so difficult. I see the world through evidence. Show me the evidence and I will evaluate it. Show her something that may call a belief into question and it is automatically wrong. I can't grasp how anyone could believe what the boilerplate xtian believes and yet completely ignore the other awful things contained within the book. I just want to see it from her point-of-view. Sorry for the rant.

You're overthinking this shit. Just my opinion.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Whimsymum touched on what I think might be a way to approach this.

Sit down and have a talk on how to discuss any difference of opinion, sketch out what any discussion on any topic should be like.

It would be quite the trick to remove the emotional aspect of it all, almost as if discussing which model car to buy.

The other tactic, if you will, is to ask lots of questions without making any claim yourself. Just a few ideas from the bleachers.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce