simple pleasures

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
26-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Thumbs Up simple pleasures
I absolutely love watching a good storm roll in. The clouds swirling angrily. The anticipation of one of earth's most natural yet powerful forces about to unfold before you. The smell of it and the electricity in the air. The calm before.

The rush of the wind as the storm gathers strength. The uncertainty of it all (I'm in Kansas after all).

I love watching the chaos unfold directly above my head, gives me goosebumps. Makes me feel alive. It's one of the reasons I love it here. I can only imagine the cosmos, but I can sit and watch the wonder of what a thunderstorm is minute by minute.

I've sat and witnessed in awe much of what is in the video. What are some of the simple pleasures in your daily life?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like evenheathen's post
26-05-2014, 11:31 PM
RE: simple pleasures
Reminds me of my favorite La Dispute lyrics. Smile

[Image: tumblr_static_ejoopkmd8kgkgcsgsw0cckw0k.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
26-05-2014, 11:31 PM
(26-05-2014 11:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I absolutely love watching a good storm roll in. The clouds swirling angrily. The anticipation of one of earth's most natural yet powerful forces about to unfold before you. The smell of it and the electricity in the air. The calm before.

The rush of the wind as the storm gathers strength. The uncertainty of it all (I'm in Kansas after all).

I love watching the chaos unfold directly above my head, gives me goosebumps. Makes me feel alive. It's one of the reasons I love it here. I can only imagine the cosmos, but I can sit and watch the wonder of what a thunderstorm is minute by minute.

I've sat and witnessed in awe much of what is in the video. What are some of the simple pleasures in your daily life?

I love watching those, too.

Except when I'm on the golf course as I was yesterday. Ohmy

On the 16th hole, we saw it just over the trees.
On the 17th hole, it was edging its way overhead.
On the 18th hole, it blocked the sun which was still high up.

We managed to finish and get to the car before the sky opened.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Getting a second glance from the cute chick at the stop light/coffee place/grocery store/wherever.

When I managed to cook the chicken strips just long enough to make them crispy, but not so long that they're not juicy anymore.

Having a brand new client walk in the door with a problem and knowing that I am the solution.

The look on said client's face when they've reached a small milestone on the road to their long-term goals.

Looking down and seeing that I still have more than 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Sitting down on the couch after a long day and putting my feet up on the coffee table.

A morning glory from a chick who isn't doing it because she feels like she has to, but simply because she wants to.

Her fingertips gliding across the back of my head and neck as we drive.

An impromptu back-rub when I sit down on the edge of the bed after taking a long, hot shower.

A long, hot shower.

The first sip of cold, sparkling beer pouring down my throat as the opening music to Game Of Thrones plays on TV.

Waking up to find that the extent of my hangover is that I'm just really, really hungry.

A turkey sandwich with tomato, ranch dressing and cheddar/sour cream chips stuffed inside to satisfy that hunger.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Misanthropik's post
27-05-2014, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 07:52 AM by DLJ.)
That was poetry, Miso, just poetry.

This thread reminds me of the small smile thread.

Simple pleasure:
Subtle put-downs that aren't noticed by the subject but are noticed by others nearby.

I was flying from somewhere to somewhere recently and noticed a storm in the distance below us.
Amazing to watch.

I realised that I didn't know why all clouds aren't stormy.
... knowing what I don't know... a simple pleasure.

Smile

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
27-05-2014, 05:39 AM
An open road with scenery and no cars anywhere, cool temps and clear skies and the wind in my hair.

My dog laying down next to me and putting his head on my shoulder.

Watching hawks and eagles fly

Talking with someone who doesnt have an agenda

The sound of a happy engine cruising down the road

Watching baby animals

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 6 users Like War Horse's post
27-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Sipping the perfect pint of Guinness, in he snug of an old style pub whilst checking the form in the Racing Post.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 3 users Like Marozz's post
27-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Watching flowers and fruit and veggies grow, watching thunderstorms, watching the baby animals grow up (goslings, ducklings, wild birds, deer....) Sitting outside with a cold beer and a good book, playing with my dogs, long walks in the woods...

So many things to enjoy. Oh, and my massage chair. I love that thing. If I could only afford one piece of furniture in the entire house, that would be it. Total bliss anytime I want - yeah!

Me thinks I am really enjoying retirement.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
27-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Spoonful of sugar. (Just kidding.)
Umm, good tasting food?
The fun of fun?
I don't know...

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
27-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Nice thread. Nice posts.

Today I taught an 8 year old girl how to play a jazz beat with brushes.

This kid once asked if she could be left alone in class to explore the sounds of the drum kit.

I sat outside and listened. It was awesome!

Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post