sin=????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2015, 06:34 PM
sin=????
I was just having an argument with my best friend{don't worry I'll probably be talking to him in an hour and a half.}... for some reason that was my fault.. we got into an argument whether gay is a sin and I pressed him on he definition of sin.. mainly because I don't like defining words by there counterparts... and that got me to thing... if the definition of a sin.. is something that is wrong... so the chirsitian position is that things are wrong because they are wrong.{face palm} talk about your nondescriptives..... even used the its an omboniation line/ so gods opinion is that he doesn't like things and that makes things wrong how????

btw my best friend changes his opinion faster than anything. so don't worry he is still deciding.. i guess.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2015, 06:49 PM
RE: sin=????
Sin has many different definitions. The most common is "disobedience to God." This is of course meaningless, since it holds no moral imperative one way or another. The command of an arbiter does not make something moral or immoral. Arguing that it is leads to justifying the genocide of countless peoples and of children and infants. If God's command is the only barometer of what is moral, then there is no real standard. After all, God changes his mind capriciously.

There is a few others, which define sin as "harm to another person" or "acts which are harmful." And this is the ONLY definition that I hold any sympathy for. If you have done something wrong then you must be accountable for that. But is simply being gay doing harm? Well, no. Only in the loosest sense in that the people at the time were pressed to be fruitful and multiply and gay people could not do so. But by the same logic a couple who is barren is also guilty of the same sin. Yet no one would claim that being unable to conceive is a sin.

Another definition of sin that is passed around is "that which is contrary to the nature of a perfect being" which is to say that it sets up unreasonable standards by which to judge a person. All people are guilty of not being perfect, and all actions that they take are in essence sinful. To eat is sinful, to lust is sinful, to breathe is sinful. And yet to commit suicide by deprivation is sinful. Is being gay a sin by this definition? Yes, but in the same way that everyone is sinful. In the same way that "we are made sick and commanded to be well." And PUNISHED for not being well.
[+] 6 users Like natachan's post
20-06-2015, 06:49 PM
According to the Bible, a sin is anything that goes against God's wishes i.e. an abomination. Being gay isn't the only abomination in God's eyes--He tends to get pissed off quite easily at just about anything.

While there are some Bible passages that say being gay is an abomination--in the O.T. it mentions a loving relationship between two men (David and Jonathan). Christians love to downplay that and say they were just friends--but they do not appear to be just friends if you read the passage carefully. David was one of God's favorites in the Bible--which is why some Christians love to tap dance around that passage.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
20-06-2015, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2015 08:55 PM by epronovost.)
A sin is an action or a thought that God (or the Church) doesn't agree on and consider wrong. Why does he think that? Sometime it's explained, sometime not. Sometime, like in the case of homosexuality, there is an explanation and it's both factually wrong and ethically weak. The idea of sin rest on an argument from authority not reason, logic, empathy or even common sense. It's the idea that a moral system can be based on the concept of the boss says it's wrong thus it's wrong.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
20-06-2015, 08:47 PM
If you are human, everything is a sin.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
20-06-2015, 09:57 PM
You don't know what sin is? Shame on you!

St Paul, the creator of Christian theology, makes it very clear....

“What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.”
(Romans 7:7-13 (KJV))

There… I'm sure you understand what sin is now. The Bible explains everything doesn't it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Sin is just a thing that clergy use to control their flock. It's idiotic concept cause real harm done to other could be called sin but also not going to church is sin. So in short sin is what clergy say their invented god don't like.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-06-2015, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 01:29 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Sin = fun. Just go for it!
21-06-2015, 01:28 AM
God gave us sin so we would not know sin and know sin and sin and sin and whatnot.

Check out this moronic passage. Totally meaningless.

2 Corinthians 5:21

For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-06-2015, 02:09 AM
Also, in Spanish, sin means "without" ... tell me them bastards don't know how to live.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post