site up and down and up and down....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2013, 12:50 AM
RE: site up and down and up and down....
Well, It depends on allot of factors. I'm planning on moving soon. If I move to an area where the National Broadband Network has been rolled out, then I can get cheap upload bandwidth that should be good enough for hosting TTA.

Then it's just the cost of a cheap workstation. I happen to have a spare sitting around.

40 megabit uplink is good enough for the traffic we get at the moment, and fiber optics is pretty reliable. I can make the computer pretty reliable too. It doesn't need to run on server grade hardware. Not for this. 2 workstations with load balancing is the goal. If one fails the other takes over.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
13-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Estimated costs?

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
13-08-2013, 12:59 AM
(13-08-2013 12:56 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Estimated costs?

Trivial, I would cover it if I get in that position. First things first... Move into an area with the broadband access I need.

13-08-2013, 01:00 AM
You said you disabled 2 plugins. The likes plugin and what else?

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
13-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Fuck you for being so fucking rich that 2 workstations and a 40 mbit uplink are trivial costs!
Kidding.
What i meant to ask,is your dataplan cost higher than the current host? Is the instalation worth it in long term?

13-08-2013, 01:03 AM
(13-08-2013 01:00 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  You said you disabled 2 plugins. The likes plugin and what else?

Tapatalk, and it didn't make a difference. I'm going to enable them again soon.

13-08-2013, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2013 01:09 AM by Lightvader.)
I spout nonsense at the moment,cuz not sure of forum existence.

13-08-2013, 01:08 AM
(13-08-2013 01:03 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Fuck you for being so fucking rich that 2 workstations and a 40 mbit uplink are trivial costs!
Kidding.
What i meant to ask,is your dataplan cost higher than the current host? Is the instalation worth it in long term?

The install is free. If it's been rolled out in the area there will be dark fiber going to the premises.

The plan for 100 down 40 up is roughly $100/month with 500GB of data included. Roughly 10c/GB for extra.

I might have to pay for DOS protection... I'll see when it comes to that.

13-08-2013, 01:12 AM
(13-08-2013 01:08 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 01:03 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Fuck you for being so fucking rich that 2 workstations and a 40 mbit uplink are trivial costs!
Kidding.

The install is free. If it's been rolled out in the area there will be dark fiber going to the premises.

The plan for 100 down 40 up is roughly $100/month with 500GB of data included. Roughly 10c/GB for extra.

I might have to pay for DOS protection... I'll see when it comes to that.
hmmm...cheap price....we pay $100 for 11mbit down ?mbit Up.
Whats the price of the current hosting plan?

13-08-2013, 01:17 AM
(13-08-2013 01:12 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Whats the price of the current hosting plan?

Not sure, that's between Seth and someone I talk to about issues on the site.

Thing is, to get a decent virtual server is expensive. A cheap workstation would kick its ass. That would eliminate memory issues, etc.. I could configure the db server as I wished.