sleeping well? help needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
sleeping well? help needed
A few years ago a doctor asked me how I feel after waking up.
He asked if I feel well rested, fit for the day...
I told him that I feel tired after waking up.

Recently I have to think about that again (since a week or so). I can't remember that I have ever felt rested after sleeping. I know people who wake up with a smile on their face and they get up and start doing stuff, walk, clean, go shopping, whatever. I can't, I wake up and I feel like I could do with more sleep. And I feel like that until way into the day.
Around lunch time I feel fit enough to do something, around dinner time I am fit but that is when I soon have to go sleep again.

I have tried all kinds of things to sleep better in order to be fit after waking up.
# No light sources, no electrical things on, no sounds.
# Natural light so I get tired when the sun sets and wake up when the sun comes.
# Getting up and going to sleep at specific times and so I get exactly 8 hours per night
# Sleeping as long as I feel I need it
# Sleeping and waking in my natural rythm

Nothing really helped.
I got slightly better results with my natural rythm but that makes it impossible to work because this natural rythm of mine would be that I go to bed around 5 or 6 am and get up around 2pm...

What I notice is that I fall asleep better when my hun is with me. But still waking up as tired as when I went to bed.
The only thing that is different after waking up, is that my body doesn't feel weird anymore.

Does anyone have the same problem or no how to make this better?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
RE: sleeping well? help needed
Sounds to me like your problem isn't sleep, it's rest. There's many stages to sleep, that I won't get into here, but suffice to say, you are probably not experiencing the stages of sleep required to rest your body and brain enough.

First suggestion is, try melatonin. You can buy melatonin strips that dissolve on your tongue. After a week or so, it will start to work. The melatonin encourages rest while sleeping.

Second, when you wake up in the morning, get out of bed right away. This can be a really difficult thing to learn, but it's well worth the effort. NEVER use your snooze on your alarm clock. And if you happen to wake up an hour early, just get up.

Lastly, if you are a coffee drinker, there's nothing harmful about a cup or two in the morning. Caffine, in reasonable quantities, is just fine. The problem occurs when you consume caffine later in the day (or too much overall). Even wild animals know this, but we've somehow lost the instinct to avoid caffine when it's closer to our resting time. It's easiest to observe with birds. Diurnal birds will go after berries and seeds that are high in caffine during the morning, but quickly move on to caffine-less foods a few hours into the day. Likewise, nocturnal animals do the opposite. Make a rule for yourself: No Caffine After Noon. That includes pop, and chocolate! (ok, a little chocolate is ok after supper, just keep it to a minimum Wink)

These are just some basics. Some people need to pay closer attention to their sleep than others, but these three things used together help the majority of people improve the rest they get while they sleep.

.....can you tell I've been there? lol
One last thing that really helped me:

Get up at the same time every day. We all like to sleep in on the weekends, but that can really screw you up for a few days. Some people can be affected for up to five days, which means you are CONSTANTLY trying to rebalance your sleep schedule, since the weekend comes right when you have finally adjusted.

On the weekends, allow yourself a MAXIMUM of 2 hours sleep beyond your weekday wake-up time. So if you get up at 7am on weekdays, only allow yourself to sleep til 9am on weekends. This sounds crazy to some people, but if you have troubles sleeping, you'll appreciate the "drastic" measures a person is willing to take to get some good rest. And yes, I realize that if you go out and party til 4am on the weekend, you are stuck with only 5 hours sleep. Take a SHORT (ie 1 hour or less) nap in the early afternoon, then go to bed at your regular time.

There is no such thing as "catching up on sleep", so put this idea out of your head. There are situations where we need more sleep, like during an illness, but lost sleep is lost forever. If you get very little sleep for a few days, unless it causes illness (which it can) then sleeping for 12 hours straight won't get you "caught up". The average adult needs 7 to 8 hours sleep per night. That is enough to completely rest. After that, your body re-starts the sleep cycle, and if you don't stay sleeping for another full cycle (which you probably wouldn't be able to since your body is telling your brain you don't need more rest) it will confuse the brain, and tell you that you are tired since you just got up halfway through the "night". That's why sleeping the five hours after partying then getting up works. You'll be tired that day (it's self inflicted, so suck it up), but then when you go to sleep that night, you'll be fully rested and back on schedule the next morning.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
12-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Leela, I can identify with what you are experiencing...except the part where you fall asleep better next to your hun... Blush

Stark, as always, has great ideas and I've used the melatonin and reduced caffeine methods to help battle my insomnia, so I do fall asleep better and even stay asleep more than I was. However, I fail at getting up with my alarm instead of hitting snooze forever. That's because, like you, I still wake up tired...beyond just the morning grogginess kind of tired. Tired so that I find myself almost falling asleep during the day after 8 hours of sleep. My brother has Sleep Apnea, so I have an appointment this Thursday with a Sleep Doctor to see if I might have it too. Does your hun ever complain that you snore, or do you ever wake yourself up because you've stopped breathing or started choking? These could be signs of Sleep Apnea. What happens is your body keeps waking up to deal with the lack of oxygen and you may not think you've woken up, but you're not getting the deeper REM sleep stages that Stark referred to.

Anyway, I suggest following Stark's advice if you're not already and I'll try to share any insights I gain after seeing the Sleep Doc. Sleepy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Also try buckleys nighttime cold pills. Knock me out like a mother fucker. I go Into such a deep sleep and feel so rested after its great.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
@StarkRaving:
Thanks for the hints!! I didn't know you can get melatonin strips, but maybe I could try that. As for the caffein. Not having that normally. Last week it was very bad with me being tired at work so bad that I had trouble reaching my targets so I had a coffee in the morning and a coke zero at lunchtime. But that's not my usual behavious and the fact that this treatment really helped me is proof. Also I am not using the snooz function at all because I set my alarm so that using snooze would make me sleep in. I have 15 minutes in the morning to get up, dressed, cleaned and out of the house. This is followed by a walk to work of about 45 minutes. Normal people might wake up from that, not me.

@Erxomai: No I am not sick. I don't snore unless I have a cold and I don't stop breathing. But I do wake up easily from all kinds of things. I have a neighbour who will start loud music in the middle of the night, what gets through the walls is the base, and this base wakes me up. Or when my hun breathes deeply or someone in the house closes a door. Noises in general get me out of concentration, so of course it's the same at night. But it only takes a second to fall asleep again.

@lucradis: we posted at the same time so I just do a quick edit here. I don't want to take too much. I will try melatonin, especially as it is produced in the body anyway. But I'd rather stay away from things that make me sleep. I used to take sleeping pills a few years ago when it was really bad, and even than only rarely because these things are addictive.

13-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Hm, I think that I have to get a prescription for melatonin-whatevers. So that was a good idea but I am not going to the doctor because I don't have that kind of money right now.

13-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Can buy em off the shelf here. Are you sure you need a scrip? Maybe call the pharmacy and ask?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Some people just aren't morning people. Are you usually energetic and lively at night when others are usually tired and sloth like?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
14-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Surprisingly, exercise can help with energy levels during the day and a sound sleep at night. It is hard to start at first if someone hasn't been, but then it becomes a great part of this whole cycle. I notice HUGE differences when I am exercising regularly. If I stop for any period of time I get into a horrible sleepless pattern with drab days. Anytime this has happened if I start up again sleeping and living improves.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
14-02-2012, 08:34 AM
(14-02-2012 02:05 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Surprisingly, exercise can help with energy levels during the day and a sound sleep at night. It is hard to start at first if someone hasn't been, but then it becomes a great part of this whole cycle. I notice HUGE differences when I am exercising regularly. If I stop for any period of time I get into a horrible sleepless pattern with drab days. Anytime this has happened if I start up again sleeping and living improves.

So much truth.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain