sleeping well? help needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 10:22 AM
RE: sleeping well? help needed
Get a job that swaps day and night shifts all over the place, it’s 05:10 as I type this and home time is just under 3 hours away…
Insomnia, I couldn’t beat it, so I used it!

I do have the other side of the coin as well though, I can sleep during the day/while moving/through construction work and even through an earth quake!
But 3-4 hours sleep in every 24 isn’t rare.

Sorry I can’t be more help, my doctor prescribed some pills to help me get to sleep (along with preventing another small issue I had) but they left me like a zombie the following day.
Get a wii fit, heaps of fun in your lounge and it’ll wear you out, cheaper than a gym membership and you don’t need to go out!

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 04:20 AM
(13-02-2012 05:29 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Some people just aren't morning people. Are you usually energetic and lively at night when others are usually tired and sloth like?
Yes!

LadyJane Wrote:Surprisingly, exercise can help with energy levels during the day and a sound sleep at night. It is hard to start at first if someone hasn't been, but then it becomes a great part of this whole cycle. I notice HUGE differences when I am exercising regularly. If I stop for any period of time I get into a horrible sleepless pattern with drab days. Anytime this has happened if I start up again sleeping and living improves.
I "exersice" more than the average American Big Grin *trying to dodge*

@ Karl
I can't be picky with jobs, plus if I would do nightshifts I wouldn't really see my hubby anymore. We actually had that talk at home once, when my old workplace was looking for nightshift people.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2012, 10:45 PM
(22-02-2012 04:20 AM)Leela Wrote:  I "exersice" more than the average American Big Grin *trying to dodge*

A group of us bloated Americans started to chase you down, but then we got winded and found some cookies.
[+] 2 users Like rook2004's post
23-02-2012, 11:50 PM
(22-02-2012 04:20 AM)Leela Wrote:  @ Karl
I can't be picky with jobs, plus if I would do nightshifts I wouldn't really see my hubby anymore. We actually had that talk at home once, when my old workplace was looking for nightshift people.

Yea, that side of it sucks...
I'm lucky I only do 3 night shifts a month (give or take) but Jax still hates it.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
27-02-2012, 01:17 AM
I've got sleep issues too, brought on by myself though... Up until 3-4 am on weekends, wake up at 10-11am, but switch to hitting the sack at 12:30 and getting up at 7 during the week. Yep, 6.5 hrs max... I survive on caffeine, not enough hours in the day.

Better without God, and happier too.
02-03-2012, 09:22 PM
(27-02-2012 01:17 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  I've got sleep issues too, brought on by myself though... Up until 3-4 am on weekends, wake up at 10-11am, but switch to hitting the sack at 12:30 and getting up at 7 during the week. Yep, 6.5 hrs max... I survive on caffeine, not enough hours in the day.

6ish hours should be enough, the 8 hour thing is a myth.
If you’re young, under 20, you may need a little more.

Try a power nap: find a quiet spot for a snooze, have a coffee and then sleep for ½ an hour.
When you wake up the caffeine will just be kicking in.
Works quite well.

02-03-2012, 09:52 PM
(13-02-2012 02:56 PM)Leela Wrote:  Hm, I think that I have to get a prescription for melatonin-whatevers. So that was a good idea but I am not going to the doctor because I don't have that kind of money right now.

Tend to have that problem intermittently, what with part, even whole day lethargy.

Some things I am working on
............Too much sleep can be bad.
(2) Develping more flexible routinization (yeah, sounds like an oxymoron)

(3) I used to belong to a laugh club, also did laughter improvization at home.
Theory is the brain can't tell feigned laughter from the real thing.

(4) New ploy, if feeling down, flat......moan groan, and act really depressed.
Very much in experimental stage...but have found myself laughing and lifted on quite a few occasions.Big Grin
02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Tonight I embark upon a new sleep adventure. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea which means when they tested me I stopped breathing 80 times in a night, which sounds like a lot to me, but I guess others do it even more. Anything over 5 is diagnosed as apnea, the obstruction of your airwaves while you sleep. Your brain wakes you up just long enough to start breathing again, but short enough that you never knew it. Because of the constant interruption, there's not enough of the deeper stages of sleep or enough REM, so you wind up being tired all the time, depressed, overweight, high blood pressure...Hm, sounds a lot like someone I know. Confused

So tonight I shall be hooked up to what amounts to a Darth Vader mask which is connected to a CPAP machine which forces air into my airways at a constant pressure so that they remain unobstructed and I can get rest.

I'm not anxious to try to sleep with something weird on me...hm...I mean the mask on my head...but I am eager to see if I feel the results. Oh and fortunately he prescribed me a sleeping pill so that should help with the insomnia (which my regular doctor wouldn't prescribed because she was afraid I might off myself! Which if I had been sleeping better and not an insomniac, I wouldn't have wanted to off myself! Sheesh!...but I digress.Smile)

Any other CPAPers out there? It seems to be pretty common. I have several friends who use them and my brother and StepBob do as well.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-03-2012, 10:04 PM
(02-03-2012 09:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Tonight I embark upon a new sleep adventure. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea which means when they tested me I stopped breathing 80 times in a night, which sounds like a lot to me, but I guess others do it even more. Anything over 5 is diagnosed as apnea, the obstruction of your airwaves while you sleep. Your brain wakes you up just long enough to start breathing again, but short enough that you never knew it. Because of the constant interruption, there's not enough of the deeper stages of sleep or enough REM, so you wind up being tired all the time, depressed, overweight, high blood pressure...Hm, sounds a lot like someone I know. Confused

So tonight I shall be hooked up to what amounts to a Darth Vader mask which is connected to a CPAP machine which forces air into my airways at a constant pressure so that they remain unobstructed and I can get rest.

I'm not anxious to try to sleep with something weird on me...hm...I mean the mask on my head...but I am eager to see if I feel the results. Oh and fortunately he prescribed me a sleeping pill so that should help with the insomnia (which my regular doctor wouldn't prescribed because she was afraid I might off myself! Which if I had been sleeping better and not an insomniac, I wouldn't have wanted to off myself! Sheesh!...but I digress.Smile)

Any other CPAPers out there? It seems to be pretty common. I have several friends who use them and my brother and StepBob do as well.

I have a mate who praises his, re sleep. Only trouble it kept sticking into his wife and they has to get single beds.

This has not proved an insurmountable problem.......good luck!
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
(02-03-2012 10:04 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 09:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Tonight I embark upon a new sleep adventure. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea which means when they tested me I stopped breathing 80 times in a night, which sounds like a lot to me, but I guess others do it even more. Anything over 5 is diagnosed as apnea, the obstruction of your airwaves while you sleep. Your brain wakes you up just long enough to start breathing again, but short enough that you never knew it. Because of the constant interruption, there's not enough of the deeper stages of sleep or enough REM, so you wind up being tired all the time, depressed, overweight, high blood pressure...Hm, sounds a lot like someone I know. Confused

I have a mate who praises his, re sleep. Only trouble it kept sticking into his wife and they has to get single beds.

This has not proved an insurmountable problem.......good luck!

Thanks! and if I had a wife I've always thought it would be best to have two double beds in the room. Now I have a good excuse! Hm, now if only I could find someone who would by into my insanity...Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel