sleeping well? help needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 10:12 PM
RE: sleeping well? help needed
(02-03-2012 10:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 10:04 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 09:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Tonight I embark upon a new sleep adventure. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea which means when they tested me I stopped breathing 80 times in a night, which sounds like a lot to me, but I guess others do it even more. Anything over 5 is diagnosed as apnea, the obstruction of your airwaves while you sleep. Your brain wakes you up just long enough to start breathing again, but short enough that you never knew it. Because of the constant interruption, there's not enough of the deeper stages of sleep or enough REM, so you wind up being tired all the time, depressed, overweight, high blood pressure...Hm, sounds a lot like someone I know. Confused

So tonight I shall be hooked up to what amounts to a Darth Vader mask which is connected to a CPAP machine which forces air into my airways at a constant pressure so that they remain unobstructed and I can get rest.

I'm not anxious to try to sleep with something weird on me...hm...I mean the mask on my head...but I am eager to see if I feel the results. Oh and fortunately he prescribed me a sleeping pill so that should help with the insomnia (which my regular doctor wouldn't prescribed because she was afraid I might off myself! Which if I had been sleeping better and not an insomniac, I wouldn't have wanted to off myself! Sheesh!...but I digress.Smile)

Any other CPAPers out there? It seems to be pretty common. I have several friends who use them and my brother and StepBob do as well.

I have a mate who praises his, re sleep. Only trouble it kept sticking into his wife and they has to get single beds.

This has not proved an insurmountable problem.......good luck!

Thanks! and if I had a wife I've always thought it would be best to have two double beds in the room. Now I have a good excuse! Hm, now if only I could find someone who would by into my insanity...Dodgy

Honestly Erxomai, I'm sure T.A.F. does a lot to keep me sane and relatively cheerfull.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 10:15 PM
(02-03-2012 10:12 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Honestly Erxomai, I'm sure T.A.F. does a lot to keep me sane and relatively cheerfull.

I'm not familiar with the Initials. Or are you referring to Mrs. Woof?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-03-2012, 10:26 PM
(02-03-2012 10:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 10:12 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Honestly Erxomai, I'm sure T.A.F. does a lot to keep me sane and relatively cheerfull.

You should be....what is it 2459 posts. Mrs Woof, she's alright! Sleepy
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
(02-03-2012 10:26 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(02-03-2012 10:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

You should be....what is it 2459 posts. Mrs Woof, she's alright! Sleepy

Lol...I got thrown off because I'm so used to seeing TTA. Now I'm tracking. And I hope Mrs Woof doesn't come sniffing around TAF to see what you really think of her! Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Good luck with that darth vader machine. I hope it only looks like that and doesn't sound like it Big Grin

I don't stop breathing as far as I know, I only wake up lots of times from all kinds of stuff. A door being closed somewhere, me or my hun turning around, having a bad dream, a sudden thought (yes happens), etc... it's really annoying.

Two weeks ago it got better for some reason, without me doing anything actually.
But since last week it is bad again. Actually worse, because last week I had to put coffein in me every day just to get through the day at work. I could have slept on my desk at work I swear.
But that might be for the weather change right now. I hope when that is over, I get better with the sleep again.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
(02-03-2012 10:04 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I have a mate who praises his, re sleep. Only trouble it kept sticking into his wife and they has to get single beds.

This has not proved an insurmountable problem.......good luck!

Teehee. I love double entendres, teehee. Smile

Oh, and leela, hacking localhost loopback isn't that impressive. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-03-2012, 05:52 PM
One of my friends in Austin had to use the machine. It made noise, but wasn't unpleasant. We helped him get another one for travel (it was kind of big), so that when he was drinking at our house he could stay over.

Sleeping is an odd subject for me, because I screwed myself. Please get at least some sleep because it does effect your sleep later in life.

When I was young, I never really thought of sleep and only thought I needed it some of the time. This means I would sneak out of the house when everyone was asleep and go off into the woods nearby. Yeah, probably dangerous for a kid, but the town literally shut down at 9 and not a soul was about at 11 or so except cops. Later on, I worked late shift at a restaurant and we would play basketball through the night at someone's house. I assume they would go to sleep in the day at sometime, but I often spent many days hanging out before going back to work.. Then the Marine Corps happened. The not sleeping so much was a benefit there. When we were out in the field, I was almost always the first watch, because most were too damned tired to handle it. I often would stay up to make sure other watches would stay up.. even though they didn't really seem to notice.. The only time I ever remember having a problem with sleep was after three days of operations, we had to set up on a hill side after a long hike. Capt. V looks at me and says "Wake me up in 30 minutes" which I should have expected, because I always got first watch, but for some reason the physical exhaustion mixed with the lack of sleep left me really wanting sleep. That was the closest I came to falling asleep on duty. I ended up having to get up and set up communications, because I had to do something or I would have passed out. However, the sun came up. When I was younger (up to about 30) when I watched the sun come up I always got a noticeable burst of .. something. I always say it was adrenaline, but I'm honestly not sure. Either way, they were up (I ended up taking an hour to set up comm, because lack of sleep was making me work slow) and the sun made it difficult for me to go to sleep. I don't remember much of what happened that day. I do remember that the sun was a little past noon before Capt V noticed something and ordered me to sleep. I guess that's what I needed, because I don't remember going to sleep, but I remember waking up and the laughter. I didn't tell you, but we were in a desert. It was hot as hell. There was virtually no shade. I woke up feeling refreshed as hell, but shoved between two rocks in the standing position. It was the only shade around. Man, that was by far the best sleep I ever remember. They tell me it was only 15 minutes, but damn, did it feel fucking refreshing.

The next and worst lack of sleep came after the Marine Corps, but during, I almost never slept on weekends. Well, at least Friday and Saturday nights. Not because I was partying, but playing Vampire: the Masquerade on those nights. Then would play Chess in the mornings and had a group of friends during the afternoons until the game started. Weekends weren't a time for sleeping to me.

After the Marine Corps, my sleeping habits stabilized, but I was trying to start college. I always forget most of this part of my life, but don't forget what happened from at the end of it. While trying to get my classes in order and not knowing how anything worked, I was afraid of funds. I was getting the GI bill, but it didn't kick in and I didn't find out until much, much later that they would have back payed everything. I didn't know... I didn't ask. That was fucking stupid on my part. Either way, I was already working part time for the library, but started working full time at night. Then I started working part time security as well.

Well, soon time became difficult, but I really couldn't see how I was going to pay for school still, so I stopped going. I focused on work and ended up working longer and longer. One week in particular, the library was getting new shelving and converting to Library of Congress, and the security job was fucking hectic as well with WNBA, concerts, Wrestling, and the Zoo all within a week... There were some other things as well, but can't really remember them. So, with three jobs taking every minute, I started losing sleep. After about day four, things started getting fuzzy. I remember a fight at a Korn concert and the little army guy beating the shit out of a guy for breaking his glasses, the beating bass from speakers, the constant shuffling paper and machines of the third shift job (big ass folding machine), the constant books and books and staring down of someone for fucking up my shelving (they probably didn't know, but I wasn't in my right mind).

Well, the days kept coming. I remember the zoo, because it was one of the things at the end of this waking nightmare. I remember the protesters and guarding the cage to the tigers. I remember being really mesmerized by the tigers. Not sure why, just because of the big heads probably. I do know afterward the most dangerous thing during was that my jobs weren't next to each other, so I was driving to each one. I don't remember driving... Either way, on the seventh day (six nights) I was coming from the third shift job. I'm not even sure I was taking showers anymore.. either way, the police chief stopped me. The words were "Go home. Go to sleep." I must have looked like a complete mess for it to be recognized so quickly.. or maybe they knew it before. I don't think I had seen the chief before that moment. I can't remember...

Well, I don't quite remember what happened after that, much like when I slept in the desert. I do remember waking up... and I'm glad I did. It was the next day, middle of the day. Noon sun in the middle of the summer in the back of my car. I'm fucking glad it was Tennessee, because if that had happened in Texas, I would have died of dehydration. I was soaking and could feel my throat and the threat of death from lack of water, so go refreshed and cooled down as soon as I could. I really should have gone to a hospital also, but was more concerned at the time of re-hydrating.

I think this was close to a labor day, but can't remember exactly. I didn't go back to work after that and quit all my jobs. I drove to a friend's house in South Carolina (which I thought was in North Carolina and didn't really call until I was in North Carolina... yeah, don't think things through much). That's where I decided to go to Alaska... but that's another story.

Either way, except for a few times after that, I didn't go a day without sleep. I did have third shift jobs, but never missed sleep. Now if I miss too much sleep, I physically hurt and can't think much at all the next day. I remember seeing the sun coming up once after staying up, but no high like before. Not even a little. Just a deep longing to go the fuck to sleep and "why am I awake again" thoughts. I often have to take a nap during the day as well and have a regular sleep schedule. I used to say fuck sleep, but how it feels now when I don't sleep.. fuck not sleeping. Just isn't worth it. I don't do drugs, but I'm positive I've lost more brain cells then some hard core drug users. Well, I think so... haven't looked at all the studies into it yet... Thoughts certainly don't come as quickly as they used too anyway... and seem to be more chaotic at times. Not sure if that's from lack of sleep though.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
06-03-2012, 08:28 PM
This is just for you, Leela. I hope it doesn't turn you on too much. I don't want to get in trouble with Malleus. He scares me just a little. Confused

I'm used to sleeping with a long hose since I've done that all my life, but sleeping with a mask on has been difficult ever since I gave up the cape and tights.

[Image: zwbwy8.jpg]

Today was the 4th day waking up after struggling to sleep with this contraption on, yet I woke up an hour earlier than normal and had all kinds of energy which I used to exercise before work since I rarely do it after work when I plan to. So, it seems maybe there is some merit to the ordeal.

But, it also appears I'm coming down with some sort of cold or flu, so I wonder how it will be using the CPAP if I'm sick. Confused

~Izel
07-03-2012, 02:22 AM
(06-03-2012 08:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This is just for you, Leela. I hope it doesn't turn you on too much. I don't want to get in trouble with Malleus. He scares me just a little. Confused
[Image: zwbwy8.jpg]
OOOH SEXAY!!!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
(06-03-2012 08:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This is just for you, Leela. I hope it doesn't turn you on too much. I don't want to get in trouble with Malleus. He scares me just a little. Confused

That's very attractive, HellboundPreacher. Big Grin Why can't you get the same results with a high velocity fan blowing in your face? And you get the added benefit of the noise of the fan to drown out distractions. I mean, that's what I do, even in winter.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.