smaller examples of how religion poisons everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2011, 05:59 AM

smaller examples of how religion poisons everything
OK, we all know that religion can cause BIG problems: wars, human sacrifice, etc. etc., but what about the small, day-to-day examples?

One that comes to mind is a member of my extended family (not on my side). She is nearing 30, little over weight however not "ugly" and a very nice personality. She does not have a boyfriend (not aware that she ever has). According to her Christian church and/or her beliefs, she needs a chaperon to go on a date (even at 30!?!). While it may be entirely possible that she might just lack self confidence to go on dates and find someone outside the church, it's also likely the case that she thinks she must date someone within the church.

Small example of how religion fucks things up, please share some of the "small" examples you may have.
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 06:38 AM
RE: smaller examples of how religion poisons everything
Ignorance of serious mental problems by excusing them away as eccentricities or worse demons.

The fear of taboos placed in children which stops them often from mentioning things that they really need to mention.

Prohibition. The false belief that saying no will stop an evil from happening, proven time and time again to be what makes something really bad.

Blaming the victim. Many times a victim of rape or many other issues in a church will be segregated due to their alternate views and the fact that it doesn't happen to a good Christian. If it's a child it has worse effects.

Organized religion is also the reason the US is not religiously tolerant. Celebrating major holidays with Christian names, swearing on a bible in court, etc.

I think that's a good start on a list of things.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
14-03-2011, 06:56 AM
JW's blood beliefs and not letting your kids hang out with anyone who's parents are not from the same sect.
Homophobia.
''Anything sexual is bad.''
Passing your ignorance to your kids.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
[+] 3 users Like Kikko's post
14-03-2011, 07:50 AM
I think it depends on the religion in question and the part of the world where you live.
There's a lot of superstition that goes around and doesn't let you get on with your life.

A lot of people in Romania go to church on easter's eve and most are drunk or just have a laugh - they don't seem to give a damn for the religious ritual.
People don't work on sunday (house work - so it's taboo to vacuum yourself).
People welcome the priest to bless the house after Christmas , I remember giggling and having fun with a friend when the priest came and his mom almost refused to let me see him anymore.

As far as sexuality goes , religion seems to find it dirty for some reason - seriously , how would they like it if their religion only allowed to poo once a day no matter what , how would they like it then ?!
Sexuality is a normal biologic function , that some animals do just for pleasure without reproduction in mind.What's the problem, I don't get.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
14-03-2011, 10:29 AM
There are people that live there entire lives through a Christ filter. They only watch movies that are Christ approved, only listen to music that praises the lord, only hang out with other church going, like minded people, only books they can read are the bible and the Left Behind series. They miss out on a lot of life experiences because they have these arbitrary, self imposed rules set in place.

And a minor scale of poison off the top of my head? Texas. Everything that takes place in Texas is a terrible first step towards theocracy. The "creationism taught alongside evolution" attitude, the "evolution is just a theory" sticker that is required to be placed in science textbooks, the homophobic, racist attitude that saturates the state, etc.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
14-03-2011, 02:16 PM
A man at the church my family belongs to has a study bible. In the back it has a summary of topics with bible verses that talk about those topics. He crossed out the parts talking about sex, fornication, masturbation with words like NO!! and the parts of Homosexuality with words like pervert, etc.

Nice man, but mind is poisoned by religion.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2011, 02:35 PM
'Modesty' rules. Keeping women from wearing anything that exposes their collarbone or is higher than their knee. I mean like really?

According to modesty rules, pretty much 98% of my clothing is immodest.

Also in sports like dance, figure skating, gymnastics. There are parents who won't let their kids skate because of the dresses worn in competition. So the kids are missing out on enjoying a great sport.
[+] 1 user Likes Sierra's post
14-03-2011, 02:42 PM

Praying. What a waste of time.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Sacrieur's post
14-03-2011, 03:37 PM
The death of devout catholics (monks even) during the dark ages, for dancing and laughing.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
15-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Defiance of logical thinking.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post