smaller examples of how religion poisons everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2011, 02:30 AM
RE: smaller examples of how religion poisons everything
Books being pulled out of local libraries and classrooms because of some religious opposition to them. (As if the Bible isn't full of sex and violence!) It still happens, and it drives me nuts that people who have the power to say no to this nonsense are too cowardly to do so. Also, that women going in and out of abortion clinics have to put up with the vile insults and taunting of so-called "Christians" protesting outside them. It has to be hard enough without enduring that bullshit. Infuriating.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like hotrodmike's post
15-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Making "being critical" sound like "being negative"

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
15-03-2011, 08:30 PM
(14-03-2011 10:29 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And a minor scale of poison off the top of my head? Texas. Everything that takes place in Texas is a terrible first step towards theocracy. The "creationism taught alongside evolution" attitude, the "evolution is just a theory" sticker that is required to be placed in science textbooks, the homophobic, racist attitude that saturates the state, etc.

Please, don't remind me. Sad It's so hateful here.

On that note, let's mention dry counties. Dog forbid someone want to have a beer once in a while. And don't think for a minute that there aren't Baptists frequenting the liquor stores on the county lines of wet counties. They just pretend not to see each other.
(15-03-2011 02:30 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  Also, that women going in and out of abortion clinics have to put up with the vile insults and taunting of so-called "Christians" protesting outside them. It has to be hard enough without enduring that bullshit. Infuriating.

In our wonderful Republic of Texas, they just passed a bill that forces women who want to get an abortion to have a trans-vaginal ultrasound before performing it. Even in cases of rape or incest. Talk about revictimizing the victim. They are evil.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes trillium13's post
15-03-2011, 10:19 PM
A trans-vaginal ultrasound? That would stop almost any woman. I make sure no matter what I never visit Texas. They have a habit of killing people like me. Not like every day, but a lot more commonly than the rest of the country.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
15-03-2011, 11:56 PM
If any State made being an atheist against the law, it would be Texas. I'm just amazed at how much stupidity is legislated there in the name of religion. A prime example of why we have to stand up for humanity and reason against superstition and dogma.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes hotrodmike's post
16-03-2011, 12:23 AM
(14-03-2011 10:29 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Texas.

(15-03-2011 08:30 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  In our wonderful Republic of Texas, they just passed a bill that forces women who want to get an abortion to have a trans-vaginal ultrasound before performing it. Even in cases of rape or incest. Talk about revictimizing the victim. They are evil.

(15-03-2011 11:56 PM)hotrodmike Wrote:  If any State made being an atheist against the law, it would be Texas.

Agreed.

Texas Const. art. I, § 4. Wrote:RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.
emphasis, mine.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Do....1.htm#1.4

Oh, and we're (I say we because I'm a Texan) about to cut $10 billion (that's billion with a B) from public education. Angry
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2011, 01:22 AM
72 Virgins and/or raisins..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
16-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Texas Const. art. I, § 4. Wrote:
RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Cool - so Satanists can run for public office ? Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
16-03-2011, 08:05 PM
(16-03-2011 12:23 AM)13mentaculus Wrote:  Texas Const. art. I, § 4.']RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

It's not the only state to do this, either.

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Law..._agnostics

Quote:Oh, and we're (I say we because I'm a Texan) about to cut $10 billion (that's billion with a B) from public education. Angry

They don't need education. They have gawd, dadgummit! They don't need no fancy book readin'!!

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
17-03-2011, 07:28 AM
(16-03-2011 08:05 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  They don't need education. They have gawd, dadgummit! They don't need no fancy book readin'!!
Well duh, everything you need to know is in the Bible stupid! Tongue

I'd also add to the "dry counties" bit and just say alcohol laws based on religious ideas. I don't live in a dry county but it is illegal to sell liquor in the state on Sundays (that includes beer that's over 6.2% abv) unless you're selling it by the drink in a bar or restaurant. Also illegal to buy beer (lower than 6.2%) before noon on Sundays. It's just dumb and doesn't do anything but piss people off.

I'd also like to add that religion just generally squashes intellectual inquiry. My kids ask me all the time how God creates things - things like cars and houses. Because god made EVERYTHING. I quickly let them know in no uncertain terms that God does not create these things, people do. When possible I show them how it's done, through human ingenuity and exploration, without any help from a god somewhere.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.