smaller examples of how religion poisons everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2011, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2011 07:40 PM by trillium13.)
RE: smaller examples of how religion poisons everything
Just a little more on dry counties, as an aside:

Here it's quite common for a dry county to be straddled by wet counties. Every so often someone will make a move to make a "dry" county "wet". It will make all the papers, all the people whining about it one way or another.

You would think that the ones making the most fuss about alcohol being sold would be the Fundies, right? As it turns out, most of the campaigns AGAINST a county going "wet" are paid for by those folks who operate the liquor stores in the neighboring "wet" counties.

In other words, they don't want their business taken away. So they pay some Fundies to make a big stink about it. What it boils down to is NOT religion in the end, it's money.

Here's an article on just this topic:

http://www.allbusiness.com/government/el...587-1.html

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 09:10 PM

It breaks my heart that most of my friends believe they are worthless and sinful. That they're all brilliant people, studying Sciences and most are aspiring doctors, but don't believe in Evolution. They think what they're learning in school is a myth. It breaks my heart that such intelligent people can completely close their minds and learn to hate others solely based on their religious views.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mBear's post
17-03-2011, 09:28 PM
(17-03-2011 09:10 PM)mBear Wrote:  It breaks my heart that most of my friends believe they are worthless and sinful. That they're all brilliant people, studying Sciences and most are aspiring doctors, but don't believe in Evolution. They think what they're learning in school is a myth. It breaks my heart that such intelligent people can completely close their minds and learn to hate others solely based on their religious views.

I have many times wondered how people who I know are otherwise very intelligent can hold onto religion. You would think that smart people would be smart enough to ask questions, and to be introspective, but maybe those things don't go together for everyone.

I really don't know. It seems really strange to me.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
18-03-2011, 04:47 AM
In my experience, I've dealed with sh*t like this thanks to the evangelical church members, family members, friends, random people;

- Make me feel guilty for being a fallible human being.
- When my sister and I were on the catholic church during elementary and high school, my sister was an outcast thanks to the f*cking nuns who said that my sister was satan's daughter just because she like's anime, rock music, etc, and the saddest part is that some of her classmates were indeed afraid of her Sad.
- All forms of anime are satanic no matter the plot, ALL OF IT IS SATAN'S WORK.
- All videogames are a drug made by satan to keep away children from reading the bible.
- Any type of Metal & Rock is satanic no matter which sub-genre is.
- Some of my so called friends stop talking me when they knew that I was an atheist, this also happened to my sister when some of her "friends" knew she's an atheist too.

Well that's all I can remember for now. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2011, 07:22 AM
(17-03-2011 09:28 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(17-03-2011 09:10 PM)mBear Wrote:  It breaks my heart that most of my friends believe they are worthless and sinful. That they're all brilliant people, studying Sciences and most are aspiring doctors, but don't believe in Evolution. They think what they're learning in school is a myth. It breaks my heart that such intelligent people can completely close their minds and learn to hate others solely based on their religious views.

I have many times wondered how people who I know are otherwise very intelligent can hold onto religion. You would think that smart people would be smart enough to ask questions, and to be introspective, but maybe those things don't go together for everyone.

I really don't know. It seems really strange to me.

You should check out this youtube channel from user anubis2814. He has a long series of short videos dealing with Why Intelligent People Still Believe in Religion that I've always found rather insightful - http://www.youtube.com/user/anubis2814#p/p

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
21-03-2011, 05:17 AM

(15-03-2011 10:19 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  A trans-vaginal ultrasound? That would stop almost any woman. I make sure no matter what I never visit Texas. They have a habit of killing people like me. Not like every day, but a lot more commonly than the rest of the country.

What is a 'trans-vaginal ultrasound' I support I could really google it but this is more interesting! I promise to have something more constructive in further posts.
21-03-2011, 10:49 AM
(21-03-2011 05:17 AM)Gadge Wrote:  
(15-03-2011 10:19 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  A trans-vaginal ultrasound? That would stop almost any woman. I make sure no matter what I never visit Texas. They have a habit of killing people like me. Not like every day, but a lot more commonly than the rest of the country.

What is a 'trans-vaginal ultrasound' I support I could really google it but this is more interesting! I promise to have something more constructive in further posts.

They stick a probe to your vagina to see what's inside. Explained better:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/...003779.htm Wrote:You will lie down on a table with your knees bent and feet in holders called stirrups. The health care provider will place a probe, called a transducer, into the vagina. The probe is covered with a condom and a gel. The probe sends out sound waves, which reflect off body structures. A computer receives these waves and uses them to create a picture. The doctor can immediately see the picture on a nearby TV monitor.

The health care provider will move the probe within the area to see the pelvic organs. This test can be used during pregnancy.

In some cases, a special transvaginal ultrasound method called saline infusion sonography (SIS), also called sonohysterography or hysterosonography, may be needed to more clearly view the uterus.

This test requires saline (sterile salt water) to be placed into the uterus before the ultrasound. The saline helps outline any abnormal masses, so the doctor can get a better idea of their size.

SIS is not done on pregnant women.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
21-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Its remarkable though, because they also believe they are god's chosen people whom he loves...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
16-11-2011, 04:01 AM

What area of discourse DOESN'T religion impose itself on? For example, no post office or banks open on a Sunday and only 6 hour trading law on a Sunday. Nobody is allowed to do ANYTHING on Easter Sunday.

When I pointed out on facebook, the fact that the outdated myths underlying this particular religiously instigated annoyance were stopping me from getting shit done over easter, I was promptly reminded that my impertinence would lead to the lake of fire and that if people want to 'glory in the power of the lord' they can.

I pointed out that its fine if you want to believe life is a fairytale thats your funeral. Just don't keep expecting others to bow down to it.Angry
[+] 1 user Likes lizichell's post
17-11-2011, 03:27 AM
The sex thing definitely gets my goat.There's legions of absolutely wonderful people who go through life waiting for God to send them *the one*... they don't dare to do anything 'sinful' in case it fucks up their chances of doing something *when they're *(&)$#@ dead* ??? And that something shall be... playing a %$^%$ harp to some %$# deity telling him how %$#^ great he is. For eternity. Fuck yeah, no sinning for me. Granted it beats the alternative, at least probably for the first 100 years. After that I guess the ol' lake of fire starts to look pretty attractive.

I hate it because... it makes all these people emotionally naive. They go out with someone from church and immediately think in terms of marriage. It's *bad*. They could end up with some idiot when if they would just do a bit more leg work (no pun intended) they'd be able to choose and make a much better relationship. In this life, not the never-observed next life. Where people don't have relationships anyway... It's depressing.