smaller examples of how religion poisons everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 04:27 AM
RE: smaller examples of how religion poisons everything
Both my parents are nurses. Both were also highly religious.

That changed thanks to the blood transfusion beliefs of Jehovah's witnesses.

There was a car accident between two full cars of teenagers one night when my dad was working emergency. One of the cars contained 4 teenagers that all had devout JW as parents.

While 2 of the kids were in stable condition with only minor attention the pair in the front seats both needed blood transfusions to replace the blood lost from the accident. Of course their parents would not sign the consent forms to allow treatment to occur to save their lives. Both kids asked to receive the treatment anyway as they did not wish to die for their parents beliefs.

Sadly due to their parents actions my dad had to sit there and watch these kids die as they begged to be saved by their doctors.

Religious stupidity can and does kill. Thankfully we now have laws in place in Canada to allow doctors to bypass parental consent if they have reason to believe the parents are not acting in the best health of the child.

I don't think my dad will ever forget the experience of watching those kids die however and it still chills me to this day when he tells this story.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
17-11-2011, 11:26 AM
(17-11-2011 04:27 AM)Godless Wrote:  Both my parents are nurses. Both were also highly religious.

That changed thanks to the blood transfusion beliefs of Jehovah's witnesses.

There was a car accident between two full cars of teenagers one night when my dad was working emergency. One of the cars contained 4 teenagers that all had devout JW as parents.

While 2 of the kids were in stable condition with only minor attention the pair in the front seats both needed blood transfusions to replace the blood lost from the accident. Of course their parents would not sign the consent forms to allow treatment to occur to save their lives. Both kids asked to receive the treatment anyway as they did not wish to die for their parents beliefs.

Sadly due to their parents actions my dad had to sit there and watch these kids die as they begged to be saved by their doctors.

Religious stupidity can and does kill. Thankfully we now have laws in place in Canada to allow doctors to bypass parental consent if they have reason to believe the parents are not acting in the best health of the child.

I don't think my dad will ever forget the experience of watching those kids die however and it still chills me to this day when he tells this story.

Holy hell that's horrible... I can't say whether I'd have treated them anyway, as I'm sure doing so would risk your career and a lawsuit, but I would have had a hard time not screaming at the parents. What kind of parent let's their kid die because of religious beliefs? I can only imagine the pain and mental anguish your dad had to deal with. Jesus F'ing Christ, man.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
17-11-2011, 11:54 AM
The Untied States is still in the stone age. The laws are determined state to state on these medical issues. In Oregon, there was a recent conviction of parents who followed church mandates about faith healing and the child died. The church is under investigation I believe. It's a start, but the US is so convoluted when it comes to religious freedom. Based on what? Stupidity.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
[+] 2 users Like defacto7's post
17-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Godless I remember that. It was unfortunately one of the few times within my lifetime that I had religious folks yelling at religious folks at my side. Unless you are talking about another exactly similar event within canada...

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2011, 02:32 PM
I just noticed your sig pic Azaraith. I'm touched and delighted. I'm delightfully touched. You could almost say I'm molested.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
19-11-2011, 11:10 AM
(17-11-2011 02:32 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I just noticed your sig pic Azaraith. I'm touched and delighted. I'm delightfully touched. You could almost say I'm molested.

haha, yeah. I found that bit particularly amusing. Have read almost all of that thread, still catching up.

Better without God, and happier too.
19-11-2011, 11:50 AM
(17-11-2011 04:27 AM)Godless Wrote:  While 2 of the kids were in stable condition with only minor attention the pair in the front seats both needed blood transfusions to replace the blood lost from the accident. Of course their parents would not sign the consent forms to allow treatment to occur to save their lives. Both kids asked to receive the treatment anyway as they did not wish to die for their parents beliefs.

Religious stupidity can and does kill.

I know this will sound cruel and "omg i cant believe he just said that" but...

Fuck em' let em kill themselves through their beliefs.. the children would have grown up being brainwashed anyhow probrably... I'm just saying let natural selection do its work. I know we won't see it happen in our life time but humanity will continue to evolve and I hope religion is somthing that is eventually forgotten.

Same goes with the middle east.. let's get our involvment over there out and let the place go to shit through their hatred of one another. Let them kill themselves because of their religion.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
19-11-2011, 12:29 PM
(19-11-2011 11:50 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I know this will sound cruel and "omg i cant believe he just said that" but...

Fuck em' let em kill themselves through their beliefs.. the children would have grown up being brainwashed anyhow probrably... I'm just saying let natural selection do its work....

I understand the feeling but I think the process would be much slower if they just went about their business. In the Oregon case, one issue is bringing down the whole church which was huge by the way, and it has brought the atrocity before the public and probably has cause a lot of people to question their faith. It's made laws more stringent and put organizations like this on notice... I think the evolving is happening much faster this way.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
22-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I had been persecuted and mocked for quite a while by my colleagues during field trips when I refused to enter the churches we visited. Eventually they got over it, but it was a real pain in the arse. Dodgy

I like radishes.
24-11-2011, 11:23 AM
This happened about 3 or 4 years ago, but it still makes me mad everytime I think about it. For my friend's birthday, another friend and I bought him some magic cards. After he had opened the gifts, his mom said she wanted to "talk" with him. She promptly threw away the cards, which I could tell from the way they hit the garbage can with the fury of a thousand angry christians. His mom didn't even offer them back and made a really crappy apology by phone. Way to go crazy christian mom.