sneezing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2013, 08:44 AM
sneezing
I sneeze a fair bit in my office and after each one, there's a chorus of 'bless yous'. There are a few different stories about the origin of the auto-response with a popular one being that 'bless you' was meant to invoke god to ward off the onset of the plague.

I get that in this day and age it's just a relic of a bygone era like many others but I'd really prefer that people did not 'bless me' or whatever. It's just a mindless reaction and they don't know they're perpetuating a belief they don't even hold themselves.

What else could you say after witnessing a sneeze, not that it warrants any acknowledgement whatsoever?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: sneezing
(29-05-2013 08:44 AM)markm82 Wrote:  What else could you say after witnessing a sneeze, not that it warrants any acknowledgement whatsoever?

Gesundheit!

German for "good health".

Quite commonly used in English too and there is nothing wrong with wishing someone good health.

Why are you sneezing, allergies? Might want to look into that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-05-2013, 10:18 AM
RE: sneezing
This is a nitpick of mine too. But I can't stop since I feel the other person will think that I wish ill will on them, or trying to snub them.

And I know that if I'm in a room full of people, and someone sneezes and receive a "bless you", and then I sneeze and get nothing, I'll inevitably think "What the hell guys?"

Talk about first world problems Dodgy